PDA

View Full Version : Each Way Staking

Hammers
28th June 2002, 02:17 PM
I have read with interest the various staking plans that forum members adopt - there seem to be plenty of place punters amongst them.
My selections are running at about 15% POT on both win and place ( hypothetically at the moment but I want to go live asap ).
Does anyone know of staking plans that apply to each way betting as my results which are extensive do not seem to discriminate between win or place?
Obviously if I am running at 15% POT then flat betting should work but I am sure there are staking plans out there that optimise good results and make them better.
If it helps my win strike rate is 24% and place 65%.
Thanks.

Placegetter
28th June 2002, 03:26 PM
The boffins of the forum will also require your average dividend.

If the place div is around $1.80 to $2.00 you can accelerate it easily using a plan posted by Testarossa only recently. I won't bore others with a repeat.

Basically, POT will remain the same, you'll just turn over more money! Works for me. :smile:

Placegetter

Hammers
28th June 2002, 03:37 PM
Thanks Placegetter,
I saw Testarossa's and thought it might work OK for the place component but not the win - too many outs even at 24%.
Maybe seperate banks is the answer.
Ave divs are $4.80 and $1.75.
Cheers.

thekey
28th June 2002, 05:44 PM
Hammers,
would suggest you go live asap. Only bet so small it is unemotional if you lose. The only way to know if you can make it work is to put real money on the line.

As for each way betting. It's a personal/emotional thing. Betting each way your runs of outs will be smaller (you lose less) but when you win you win less.

The maths people tell me only bet each way in 8-9 horse fields witha bookmaker at prices of 4-1 and under, 2-1 and less is even better.

That ought to stir a few people up!

Hammers
28th June 2002, 06:03 PM
Thanks Key,
I've read all the mathematics on eachway betting and yes, the shorter the price the better the place value.
I guess what I'm after is a staking plan that suits eachway betting - they tend to cater to either win or place. My hunch is that splitting win and place and treating the banks seperately is the way to go rather than treating the eachway bet as one bet.
Yeah, I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens - I'm sick of winning on paper!
Here are my selections for tomorrow if anyone cares;
Syd 2 - 2 Sir Dan
Syd 3 - 1 Timidity
Syd 5 - 1 Marrakesh Express
Ips 2 - 6 Nova
Ips 3 - 2 Grandway Shogun
Good luck with yours.

Placegetter
28th June 2002, 08:25 PM
You're joking! That lot. Sheesh, save your money.

Placegetter

PS. Just kidding.

Value bets tomorrow are:

BR6 #12 Jillina Blue
SR8 #9 Flash Phantom (special - I hope you guys don't back it into favouritism).
MR2 #12 Smiing Eyes

Hammers
28th June 2002, 08:49 PM
Placegetter,
One thing I've never been accused of with my betting is being adventurous - one mate reckons I pick more favourites than Wayne Harris!
Anyway, if the bottom line is black and not red then I don't care.
Cheers

Bhagwan
8th July 2002, 02:15 PM
If you are making 15%POT betting E/W , you are doing well .
I would suggest betting 1/60th of your bank E/W . E.g. $300 bank =$5 E/W run of 30 outs increasing bets by 1/60th once bank increases by 1/60th.
That way, you have a chance to survive a run of short priced paying Mules, you may have backed ,that have only placed & not won.

Try not to back your E/W selections if they are paying less $3.30 in the paper .

Placegetter
8th July 2002, 04:31 PM
On 2002-07-08 14:15, Bhagwan wrote:
Try not to back your E/W selections if they are paying less $3.30 in the paper .

How did you arrive at the number Baggie? Is it allowing for GST? :smile:

I personally wouldn't back each way if the place dividend was below $2.00. That way when it comes second in a photo, you still get something for your hard work.

Placgetter

Bhagwan
9th July 2002, 07:59 AM
I have found $3.30 horses usually pay $1.60+ for a place.

I`ve also found they pay OK for the win component.
Horses paying less than the $3.30 have a habit of paying very short divs. & have a habit of falling over.
So that means you would have to get 2 winners in that price rang to every 1 losser just to break even , what`s the point of pursuing poor value & end up with a small loss on top of it, in that price range.

I take your point about the $2.00 for a place, but from what our freind was indicating, his selections tend to be one of the 2 favs. so I feel if that is the case, he wont be placing many bets if he has to wait around for a Mule in his price range ,paying $2.00+ for a place, that`s all

Hammers
9th July 2002, 10:42 AM
Bhagwan and Placegetter,
Thanks for your input.
With the place component of a bet, my maths tells me that the shorter the price, the better the place return as a ratio of the win component.
For example, backing a 10/1 shot each way. The win component is 9.1% and the place ( 5/2 ) is 28.6% or 3.14 times shorter.
Backing a 2/1 shot each way, the win component is 33.3% and the place ( 1/2 ) is 66.7% or 2 times shorter.
Assuming a proportional improvement in strike rate you would do a lot better on your 2/1 bets each way than your 10/1 bets. I think this mathematics is the very reason it is difficult to get set each way with a bookmaker on the shorties but they don't mind letting you on when the odds are 4/1 or better.
Apparently the Pommie bookmakers pay 4th as a placegetter in fields of 16 or more. Such innovations would help the bookies cause in this country no end I would think.
Cheers.