PDA

View Full Version : Any excel experts out there....

mad
29th September 2005, 03:55 PM
Hey all,

Was wondering how, if at all, you could use an xml feed to update prices into an excel spreadsheet. Is it possible? I have the xml feed data but am not sure how to go about it, you have to use macros in excel i think. Is this correct?
Any help would be more than cool....

Thanks.

SeeDee
29th September 2005, 05:55 PM
Uhhhh. What is xml feed?

marcus25
29th September 2005, 08:28 PM
Uhhhh. What is xml feed?
Must be the stuff they feed the b...y nags I'm betting on!?

davez
29th September 2005, 08:38 PM
Uhhhh. What is xml feed?

very interested to find that out as well as google turns up diddly squat

marcus25
29th September 2005, 08:48 PM
very interested to find that out as well as google turns up diddly squat
davez!
I was just jesting, XML stands for Extensible Markup Language (XML).
It is just an other file format to transmit info. Nothing special.
Still think the horses I'm betting on must be high on the stuff?

davez
29th September 2005, 09:17 PM
no worries marcus, i spend an unhealthy amount of time these days using excel, both for the punt & the my other "work", so when i read a line like "xml feed" i get a strange sort of fuzzy feeling allover, which i guess relates to me looking for another way to make my life a bit easier, data entry wise that is.

marcus25
30th September 2005, 07:51 AM
no worries marcus, i spend an unhealthy amount of time these days using excel, both for the punt & the my other "work", so when i read a line like "xml feed" i get a strange sort of fuzzy feeling allover, which i guess relates to me looking for another way to make my life a bit easier, data entry wise that is.
davez
If you are using recent versions (not Excel97) of Excel you will find an option under the Data tab, Import external data/Import data and on the window "Select data source" you will find "Files of type" option, there is an option to select XML files. Of course you would have to know the location of the file.
Cheers

mad
30th September 2005, 07:55 AM
Hi Marcus,
How would you use that function to import an xml feed from an online bookies, to update prices, given that they freely provide the feed and associated data references?

marcus25
30th September 2005, 08:12 AM
Hi Marcus,
How would you use that function to import an xml feed from an online bookies, to update prices, given that they freely provide the feed and associated data references?
If you follow what I wrote above you should be able to get it. In the field "File name" just paste in the site address.
If you have a problem, I can try it for you.
Give me the site address in plane language just the middle bit, no http or htm at the end, because as I gether, management will blank it out.

mad
30th September 2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks Marcus, that did the trick.

KennyVictor
1st October 2005, 10:36 AM
Doh, I was waiting for the site address. I wanted to see what an XML feed looks like.
Can you let me know the site please, (there's an uncrackable code in another thread if it gets blanked out).

KV

mad
1st October 2005, 11:14 PM
Sure KV, just go to pinnaclesports.com. On the left hand menu down the bottom, it says 'xml feed'. No ponies though, only sports.

KennyVictor
3rd October 2005, 03:54 PM
What a great thing. Imagine if all the online bookies had XML feeds how much easier it would be for us would be programmers to find the right price. Are there any horse related XML feeds you know of?

KV

mad
3rd October 2005, 04:29 PM
Unfortunately not, these TAB's aren't very punter friendly.

If i find anything i'll let you know.

Wunfluova
3rd October 2005, 06:46 PM
Are there any horse related XML feeds you know of?
In the pipeline!

Go to http://www.tabracing.info/ (http://www.tabracing.info/) then 'click here for details' then 'sample application' at bottom of page. (N.B. needs .NET framework)

Wun
(just passing on the info - don't ask me any technical details, I don't know)