PDA

View Full Version : can anybody work excel?????

BORDI
12th October 2005, 12:40 PM
hey pplz

just wondering if anyone understands and knows how to use excel.

what i want to do is create a column, eg. DIST, and under that column set up a formula that by putting in data calculates percentages and places a rating along side each percentage. for example. if iwas to calculate for distance id have say at a certain distance 10 starts for 5 wins, i want to be able to enter 5/10 and have the computer work out its 50% and referring to another table 50% = 4 points.

if anyone can help it would be mostly appreciated.

cheers,
matt...

La Mer
12th October 2005, 01:39 PM
hey pplz

just wondering if anyone understands and knows how to use excel.

what i want to do is create a column, eg. DIST, and under that column set up a formula that by putting in data calculates percentages and places a rating along side each percentage. for example. if iwas to calculate for distance id have say at a certain distance 10 starts for 5 wins, i want to be able to enter 5/10 and have the computer work out its 50% and referring to another table 50% = 4 points.

if anyone can help it would be mostly appreciated.

cheers,
matt...

You need to use lookup tables, the Excel help option should give you an idea of exactly how they should be formatted.

davez
12th October 2005, 01:47 PM
bordi, happy to help but you will need to explain a bit more clearly exactley what you are after -

you say 50% = 4 points

how is this calculated? by that i mean what scale are you using to allocate the points?

BORDI
12th October 2005, 01:50 PM
hey davez

thanx. what i mean is.. say we are looking at distance. if a race is 1600m and a horse has run it 10 times for 5 wins the ratio would be 50% win rate over that dist. wat i have done is say 40-59% = 4 points, 60+% = 5points etc. what i want ot be able to do is enter into the colum named distance the value 5/10 where the spreadsheet should work out the percentage and assign the relevant points which it can derive from another table in the spreadsheet.

davez
12th October 2005, 02:00 PM
try this out bordi, if i have the %'s or points wrong simply change them in columns G & H as required.

BORDI
12th October 2005, 04:26 PM
hey davez

you got an email so i can send you my spreadsheet and therefore you can c more clearly wat i mean n how i want it to function..

cheers

matt..

davez
12th October 2005, 04:45 PM
sure -

mango_madness@bigpond.com