PDA

View Full Version : Horses physical attributes...(Dubbo Derby Day Races)

andrew057
27th October 2005, 03:38 AM
Ok, well here in Dubbo every year the biggest day on the social calender is the Derby Day Races. With the main race being a group 6 I believe, its more of a social event then a serious race day for most patrons. It's almost impossible to pick winners in the races out here from my experience, and I only place small bets on these races and focus on the interstate racing. EVERYONE backs what ever horse Greg Ryan is riding. So this year Ive decided to back horses with the best physical attributes. the diva WILL win thread gave me this idea. Someone mentioned the horses coat as an indicator, what other attributes have you noticed on the many winning horses you have backed over the past years. Any help is appreciated...

andrew057
27th October 2005, 03:10 PM
help anyone......

a4brianp
27th October 2005, 03:21 PM
Alright i will bite. Look for local horses that the strapper has done the bit extra with in grooming perhaps platting mane .I also look at the local bush races for horses that look on the toe ready to go and have that ready to race look about them.Have used this critera many times with success at Birdsville.

maverick1993
27th October 2005, 03:30 PM
so many variables..
If its a sprint trip..look for the muscular types.....shine in the coats are a good indication..and look for a horse with his head up ears pricked and not sweating up..
The longer trips looks for the longer legged horse...very relaxed ..nice scope to it and length of reign..

but best thing to do imo in these types of meetings is follow the good local trainer....and the horses trained on the track...
this is what i do when i'm at these types of meetings and usually to ****ed to venture out to the parading ring..
its all alittle vague but i think i usually do pretty well.. :)

good luck ..

Chrome Prince
27th October 2005, 03:33 PM
Stick close to the mounting yard and look and listen to the trainers instructions.

Often you will hear things yelled at the last minute before they do their preliminary to the barriers.

Things such as...
"There's a prize for fourth remember" = no bet
"Be in a good position at the turn" = bet
"Keep him out of traffic" = bet
"Do your best" = no bet
"Watch Jim's horse" = bet

Make mental note of the strappers and trainers.

See if they are betting on their own horses in the ring.

Look at the faces of the strappers leading the horses around, a lot can be gleaned from the smile and friendly approach to the crowd, a pep in their step. As opposed to solemn faced, not talkative.

Just a few clues.

robbo
27th October 2005, 03:36 PM
Stick close to the mounting yard and look and listen to the trainers instructions.

Often you will hear things yelled at the last minute before they do their preliminary to the barriers.

Things such as...
"There's a prize for fourth remember" = no bet
"Be in a good position at the turn" = bet
"Keep him out of traffic" = bet
"Do your best" = no bet
"Watch Jim's horse" = bet

Make mental note of the strappers and trainers.

See if they are betting on their own horses in the ring.

Look at the faces of the strappers leading the horses around, a lot can be gleaned from the smile and friendly approach to the crowd, a pep in their step. As opposed to solemn faced, not talkative.

Just a few clues.

not trying to be smart or anything but how do i 'Stick close to the mounting yard' and 'See if they are betting on their own horses in the ring' ??

Chrome Prince
27th October 2005, 03:55 PM
LOL Robbo, they won't be betting on their horses when they're meant to be in the mounting yard!

They'll be betting on their horses much earlier.