PDA

View Full Version : Geelong runner

downbylaw
5th November 2005, 06:55 PM
Noticed a runner today FLARING SUN in the 6th which is a full brother to SUNLINE. Went around at $3 and is still running lol. Anyone know off any decent horse that has come from sunlines blood? I never have ever!

I'm not having a go at this horse in particular as it was its first start and probly needs more distance.

Chrome Prince
5th November 2005, 08:58 PM
Look very closely at that race.

That horse was hunted up early and couldn't go the early pace for too long, at the corner he was starting to warm up and into the straight he couldn't get wound up at all behind a wall of horses, he got checked off heels at least twice over the final stages and went to the line under a hold with the jockey STANDING in the irons.

This is a definite blackbook horse for mine.

Raw Instinct
5th November 2005, 09:05 PM
The only other one that I even know of running around is Sun Song and it is a half sister to Sunline it is a solid horse if nothing spectular. Lets not write this one off after one start I didn't see it run but if what Chrome Prince says is true it has plenty of excuses anyway.

Chrome Prince
5th November 2005, 09:12 PM
Raw Instinct,

I've watched the replay 4 times and the horse was very green and hanging, got interfered with, checked and only warming up late.

The placing in the formguide will not tell the full story of this horse's potential.

Once he learns to race truly, he'll be city class for sure.

My $$ will be on next start for sure at probably better odds.

downbylaw
5th November 2005, 09:15 PM
I'll have to have a look at the video chrome like i said im not bagging this particular horse just asking if anyone has seen a decent one. I didnt get to watch the race properly ontrack as it was more a social day with friends. Maybe its going to be half decent or a champion unlike the other 90 percent, time will tell i guess.
It was very fiery in the mounting yard and i must admit i did like the look of it but would never take $3 for a 1st starter with sunlines blood or any first starter for that matter.

Raw Instinct
5th November 2005, 09:16 PM
I was about to say I just watched the replay he looked like he was star gazing most of the way all over the shop then just as he was starting to get the mind on the job he got cut off so I think there was merrit in the performance

Raw Instinct
5th November 2005, 09:22 PM
Might be a prime candidate for the snip :)

ofcourse that is highly doubtful with this horses future more likely in the breeding barn than on the track.

Here is something else even more interesting how many horses either full relation or half have performed even slightly to there better sibbling, The only ones I can think of is Lohnro and Niello have atleast both been Gr1 performers, If you have a look at Starcraft his half sister Forum Floozie was a very consistent galloper not sure what her best win was but she wasn't to bad anyway and the latest addition to the family Pinup also a half sister looks like it might have a bit of ability looks asthough Flying Floozie can produce a good horse anyway.

Chrome Prince
5th November 2005, 09:51 PM
Yep breeding isn't it all.

Sometimes you see brothers and sisters do well in sport but it is rare, not as frequent as one would imagine, the same goes for offspring.

I would hazard to guess that only 10% of top athletes have siblings or children anywhere near their level.

The Williams sisters come to mind and a few footballers.

(I won't include motorsport because that is opportunity and money driven).

Raw Instinct
5th November 2005, 10:12 PM
I guess you could say the Waugh brothers weren't to shabby but other than that here in australia I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head either mate to be honest. I am pushing a bit here but there were 2 NFL players in America who are brothers one has only recently retired Shannon Sharpe and the other who had an what looked to be an amazing career cut short after he broke vertebrae in his neck forcing him to retire I have a feeling they could have been twins actually could be wrong but they were both exceptional football players.

mecurial
6th November 2005, 12:53 AM
Neil Harvey - Ian Harvey

Reg Gasnier - Mark Gasnier

Gary Ablett - Gar Ablett Jnr./Nathan Ablett

Enjoying Insanity
6th November 2005, 12:05 PM
In the UK, brothers Gary and Phil Neville played for Manchester United and their sister Tracey plays Netball for England...

Chrome Prince
6th November 2005, 03:39 PM
This kind of demonstrates the point, there are only a handful that are as good.

Chrome Prince
8th July 2006, 10:50 AM
Well, Flaring Sun won it's first Maiden race at Seymour juicy odds of $15.30 after 5 failed attempts.

This horse could well be better with maturity, as it showed almost zippo promise after it's first up ever start.

They put him away for a lengthy spell and then first up he ran only 1 length behind the winner, then went on to win at Seymour. Probably the lowest of low grade maidens, but I think this horse will improve again with age and will start to follow him next year as a 4yo.

Chrome Prince
16th January 2008, 12:28 AM
Interesting to see that the horse has now had 11 starts for 1 win.

It is definitely now a complete dud.

John Hawkes dropped it, Tom Dabernig picked it up for a couple of placings and then it went to Ms M Cid.

Better sending it to stud hoping it throws a nice type of grandchild for Sunline, often these horses skip a generation and with the right mix throw a champion.

However, it's a massive gamble, I'd rather cop a Lonhro offspring, but again, I think a bargain basement price might be for Flaring Sun progeny.