PDA

View Full Version : Computer help?

partypooper
27th March 2007, 12:19 PM
Any compuer buff there that can help me, my comp. is infected with something, firstly I get a pop up telling me that my comp is in danger of infection with "Spybot@MXT trojan" , then I get pop ups all over the place offering me the neccessary software to get rid of it etc etc. Also another pop up telling me that I have visited 625 "compromising" sites and that my marriage is in danger if I don't buy the software to get rid of it (hee hee)

I've got the Pop Up blocker on and I can hear it poping every few seconds. But these others seem to get around that????

I've got Norton on there as well and keep scanning, any help would be appreciated if I need to buy software etc etc

stugots
27th March 2007, 12:50 PM
http://forums.techguy.org/security/523631-virus-problem-psw-x-vir.html

may be of help partyp

partypooper
27th March 2007, 02:02 PM
Stugots, thanks for that , unfortunately it has added another problem as I downloaded the FREE stuff only to find in the end they want a US$100, and now I'm unable to remove it from windows or even remove the icon. so daren't try anything else from there, I suspect it will be the same story every time.
Problem is my computer knowledge is limited to switching the comp on and off!! hee hee!

As I write, the ************ thing is beeping and telling me I have a critical alert, send the $100 immediately, GRRRRRRR

mad
27th March 2007, 02:33 PM
Hi PartyPooper,
Crash had a thread devoted to this topic a while back, detailing all the gadgets to have installed. Perhaps he'll see this thread and advise. In the meantime, i'd suggest getting rid of Norton as it is pure sh1t.

Try this instead:
www.kaspersky.com

download free month trial and see if it nails the little SOB.
Also try (FREE):

Spybot -search and destroy
ad-aware SE

and this one (not free) but V good:
Spyware doctor

These programs might help, although these type of infections can be a pain to get rid of.

partypooper
27th March 2007, 03:43 PM
Mad, thanks for that, its not that I'm too adverse to paying for some decent protection, just don't wanna buy a pig in a poke!! will give the free trial a go, thanks again.

michaelg
27th March 2007, 05:27 PM
Partypooper, quite some time ago I had a similar problem. If I remember correctly (I know very little about computers) I did a Restore to a previous date, and that got rid of the problem.

crash
27th March 2007, 05:47 PM
OK Party, for starters... DON'T PANIC !!!

Sounds like you have a Trojan or active -X trying to sell you something.

You really do need to get rid of Norton's as it is the closest thing to a Trojan without being a Trojan that there is. To top it off they charge you money every year to use it. It is not an easy thing to remove either. In fact Nortons is a ************ to remove completely. Trojan and Active-X developers write programs specifically to get past Norton's [weak] defenses!

To remove Norton's go to: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic42247.html and follow instructions.

Before you remove Norton's download to your desktop [totally free forever] Comodo Firewall from: http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/ Now remove Nortons [disconnect from internet first] Make sure you do not install Comodo until you remove Norton's.

It's the firewall I now use and the only firewall in the world that passes all know leak tests. Its a bit technical as it goes into learning mode initially so it will ask for OK a lot when various programs are in use. Just keep clicking approve or OK a lot until it settles down. Just run it on recommend settings, not custom.

Also Download Comodo anti virus, it is also lifetime free and will scan your mail too: http://antivirus.comodo.com/ . Failing that I'd recommend Bit Defender anti-virus [goggle it] free edition.

Now all you need is Spyware Blaster [stops the rubbish before it gets on to your PC] at: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html and Ad Aware SE at: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html and the GENUINE Spybot search and destroy from :http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html When loading this program do not tick [enable] 'tea timer'.

Make sure you update the above lot and run Spybot and the Ad-Aware which should take care of the rubbish annoying you. Then run the anti-virus.

See how you go.

Chrome Prince
27th March 2007, 08:25 PM
Party,

Your computer has been hijacked by Spyware.

Remove Nortons as outlined.

Download a-squared personal free edition and run it (deep scan)
Reboot and run the scan again.
Don't forget to update it online before scanning.

Download adaware personal free edition and run it (deep scan)
Don't forget to update it online before scanning.

Download Spybot search and destroy
Run online update
Immunize your computer making sure browser helper is installed
Scan and remove malware.

This should get you to a useable point to install other protection.

a-squared is really excellent and I use it everyday to clean client's computers.

partypooper
27th March 2007, 11:21 PM
Firstly, really REALLY, pleased of so many people trying to help. But I fear I made a fatal mistake downloading the Kaspersky thing, as my comp was actually totally usable b4 that , now I can get to the home page of anything including pro pun but the when I try to go any further, it crashes back to my screen saver so can't get anything on the net ??? sound familiar to anyone??
\

PS using the lap top now

Crash, thanks havent quite absorbed that yet, still working on it!! a- squared

Chrome, REALLY appreciate the help but waht does a squared thingo mean??

ubetido
28th March 2007, 12:56 AM
Hi Party

If you haven't found a way send me an email and i may be able to help. I had a similar problem.

What are you running?

Cheers
ubetido

mad
28th March 2007, 01:18 AM
That doesn't sound good PP. I can't understand what went wrong. I use Kaspersky and never had a problem since i started with it. Hope it gets sorted quickly, sorry mate.

mad
28th March 2007, 01:44 AM
Well i'm intrigued now. I assume you downloaded and ran the Kaspersky scanner. It should have found all kinds of rubbish on your 'puter if you have been running Norton. Again i'll assume you killed all of the rubbish found. Reboot and you should have been golden. Did you run Spybot and ad-aware? Perhaps found a few more nasties but i really can't see why this would cause such instability.

Did you uninstall Nortons before installing Kaspersky? Wouldn't be a major problem, but they might clash. Get rid of Norton either way.

Sometimes Kaspersky can be a little tricky if you're using an older version. You have the 6.0 version?

Other than that you could run the chkdsk command. It might not be a bad idea to do it anyway, particuraly if you have removed a lot of rubbish with the anti-virus. It's an inbuilt Windows repair command (XP).

Start menu
Run
type: chkdsk /f
enter

A small DOS window should open. It will tell you that it cannot perform the test at the moment as the drive is in use. It will ask you if you would like to run the test the next time the system is restarted? Type Y and reboot.

Other than that i'm not sure what the hell is going on.

crash
28th March 2007, 05:51 AM
Kaspersky is a great program Mad and was what I was recommending here before I recently changed to Comodo. Comodo is free [firewall and anti-virus] at the moment only because it is new and early adopters will never have to pay.

I suspect Party tried to install Kaspersky before removing Norton's properly. That would have been nasty.

Party,

You will need more than one malaware/spyware protection program
regardless of what you use. None of them do it all.
A-Squared is a good melaware/spyware remover similar to Ad-aware. It's a goodie but costs $30US and for that there is no real-time protection which is a pity.

Spyware Baster is a real-time protection program and it's free, but it's still
worthwhile to have a couple of melaware/spyware removers as well like A-squared and Ad-aware. I use Ad-aware and Ewido because they are free [I don't think Ewido is free any longer].

crash
28th March 2007, 07:14 AM
Any compuer buff there that can help me, my comp. is infected with something, firstly I get a pop up telling me that my comp is in danger of infection with "Spybot@MXT trojan" , then I get pop ups all over the place offering me the neccessary software to get rid of it etc etc. Also another pop up telling me that I have visited 625 "compromising" sites and that my marriage is in danger if I don't buy the software to get rid of it (hee hee)

I've got the Pop Up blocker on and I can hear it poping every few seconds. But these others seem to get around that????

I've got Norton on there as well and keep scanning, any help would be appreciated if I need to buy software etc etc

Initially a bit of [relatively harmless] melaware got loose on your PC. telling you lies about being infected and urging you to download there software. What you really downloaded along with the program was a nasty Trojan, Active-X or virus that now seems to have opened a backdoor for other viruses etc. to be downloaded like a rootkit, it has probably modified your IP address table to avoid certain websites and reduces any actions you can do.

If things are still serious.......

If you are using XP O/S, try to do this before installing Kaspersky:

NOTE: You must be logged in as an Administrator to do this.

If you are not logged in as an Administrator, the System Restore tab will not be displayed.

Turning off System Restore will clear out all previous restore points.

To turn off Windows XP System Restore: NOTE: These instructions assume that you are using the default Windows XP Start Menu and have not changed to the Classic Start menu.

To re-enable the default menu, right-click Start, click Properties, click Start menu [not Classic] and then click OK.

1. Click Start.

2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.

3. Click the System Restore tab.

4. Check "Turn off System Restore"

5. Click Apply.

6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted.

Click Yes to do this.

7. Click OK, reboot.

You could try running the System File Checker [sfc.exe], this will scan all protected Windows files to verify their versions have not been overwritten or damaged, and if so will replace the compromised version with a fresh copy.

To run it, click Start/Run and type 'sfc.exe /scannow' [without the quotes but with the space between the 'e' and the '/'].

Alternatively, you can click start/Run and type in CMD and click O.K., when the black window opens type in "sfc /scannow".

You will need to insert your Windows CD into the drive to enable sfc to effect the repair.
---------------------------------------

Try to use this standalone version of ewido [a trojan scanner]: http://download.ewido.net/ewido_micro.exe , very basic start with downloading the signatures, then scan and then delete.

Now try to install Kaspersky or go to their site and run their free scan.

partypooper
28th March 2007, 10:41 AM
thanks again all, everything is on hold till I try and remove that kaspersky thingo, as I can't download angthing, see how we go today

Chrome Prince
28th March 2007, 10:54 AM
A-squared personal is free, it is the malware version which you have to pay for. Personal should do the job easily.

partypooper
28th March 2007, 01:23 PM
ok guys, this is where I'm at, Chrome, tried to delete Kasperspy in safe mode but it can't do, so just rebooted and removed it no probs.
re insatalled the Broadband CD from aapt, and presto I'm back on line!!!

Mad, did the chkdsk /f thingo and it's rebooted. ok

Tried the Restore thingo, but it reboots and just keeps saying cannot restore to that date (any date I choose)

Norton is still on there. I can't hear any blocked pop ups and everything appears to be working fine, so maybe Kasperspy did the trick?

So what should I do as I don't wanna risk being in the same boat?

mad
28th March 2007, 02:07 PM
Well that's good news PP. Was getting worried i had gotten you into worse trouble.

Kaspersky is a very well regarded program, so it was a little concerning to hear of the enhanced problems. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Whatever else you do, get rid of Norton. Uninstall it now and never return. Use Kaspersky or one of the other anti-virus programs suggested by Crash or Chrome. Anything but Norton should see you're right.

crash
28th March 2007, 02:17 PM
Good to hear your back on-line party.

If you want to install Kaspersky you MUST remove Norton's first. You cannot have 2 firewalls on the same O/S. One will try to kill the other and cause serious O/S problems ....as you now know:-)

partypooper
28th March 2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all that Crash, I'm working through it slowly, ran the ewido thing, did the scan came up with 117 high risk items, clicked on remove, then tried to download the anti virus (no luck) have hit scan again and it seems to picking up all the same ones as first time round?

RE: Firewall, I presume you didn't mean the Microsoft Firewall as well?

Pinger
28th March 2007, 05:29 PM
I run vet antivirus and have never had any trouble but before that i found http://housecall.trendmicro.com to be very helpful with viruses and its a free on line scan.

peterpan
28th March 2007, 05:30 PM
Norton will stop system restore giving you restore points.

I had the same problem.

Go to http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

Then just down from the top of the screen in red you will see another link in relation to Norton, click on that and follow imstructions.

Chuck
28th March 2007, 05:46 PM
i wont be much use but as per the general thoughts Norton is rubbish. i myself use Kaspersky, which is fantastic, along with Ad-Aware SE Pro and XoftSPy Spyware remover.

crash
28th March 2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks for all that Crash, I'm working through it slowly, ran the ewido thing, did the scan came up with 117 high risk items, clicked on remove, then tried to download the anti virus (no luck) have hit scan again and it seems to picking up all the same ones as first time round?

RE: Firewall, I presume you didn't mean the Microsoft Firewall as well?

No, you can leave your Microsoft firewall alone and switched on. You have not pressed 'delete' properly if Ewido is coming up with the same trojans/spayware list etc. Ewido is as good as it gets for malaware/spyware/trojans. It's the top of the tree [I wouldn't be using it otherwise].

Chuck,
good on you. Kaspersky [Russian] is about a good as firewalls get unless you want to move up to Commodo firewall, which is even better and still free [not for much longer] as is their anti-virus I think.

peterpan
28th March 2007, 06:25 PM
Crash,

I use sunbelt keiro firewall and have never had a problem, but after reading your glowing report on comodo, last night I uninstalled sunbelt and installed comodo.
Looked great with a lot of features EXCEPT it totally stuffed my email, every time I went to open it I got the windows dreaded noise and a monster error message.
Needless to say comodo is now where my norton went a long time ago and sunbelt is reinstalled and running sweetly and looking after me.

partypooper
28th March 2007, 11:04 PM
Sorry Pinger but that's where your suggestion went as well .i.e."West", just stuffed everything up again until I uninstalled, guess it must be just what weve got on our individual systems (computer systems that is hahaha!)

But looks like Norton is following!!

Chrome Prince
28th March 2007, 11:22 PM
Partypooper,

I could help you further, but privacy may be an issue as I would have to remotely take control of your computer and drive it through various procedures taking some time.

As to your laptop problem you mentioned to me, that can be resolved, but you need to know the password to reset it or just do a clean install of Windows after putting the laptop hard drive in another system as a slave drive to reclaim your data.

I also have admin software to reveal your password, butcannot give the software to anyone else or I lose my dealer's licence.
There is also another way to do it, but I can't do this remotely.

Shame we live in different States :(

partypooper
28th March 2007, 11:58 PM
Chrome will be in touch, in the meantime is that Spy Bot thingo supposed 2b a freebie??

Chrome Prince
29th March 2007, 01:48 AM
Yes, all the programs I mentioned are FREE.

crash
29th March 2007, 06:36 AM
Party,
It's very hard to give instructions to fix PC problems over a forum.
It does sound like your system restore is re-installing your problem[s]. It's the first thing I disable after installing an OS and I then use ERUNT [free] to back up my registry regularly. That way I can restore the complete registry if I have problems with anything. System restore does not 'restore' the registry properly and is a hopeless Hog of system resources.

If your still having problems you could post [cut and paste] a PC log here after running 'HighJackThis' [a tiny free download]. It will show what shouldn't be on your PC. It's then a simple matter of ticking the items and pressing 'fix' in HighJackThis.

Chrome has the best idea but you need to give him remote control of your computer :-)

partypooper
29th March 2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks Men, still trying some of that, will post results

Chrome Prince
29th March 2007, 12:15 PM
There is another way to get around it.

Download Spyware Doctor from pctools.

Run Smart Update.

Run an intensive scan.

It will ask you to register to fix the problems (you have to pay)

Instead maximise the little window and drag the fields so you can see the full path of the locations.

Take a screenshot and post it here or email it to me and I can help you to manually get rid of it.

You will need to export your registry and send it me me and I'll manually edit it and you can import it back. This should work ok, but you should keep a copy of the original just in case.

At this point however, I'd strongly suggest backing up everything, doing a clean install and adding the protection outlined. Comodo is also excellent way better than Nortons and better than Zonealarm.

Racer
29th March 2007, 12:37 PM
still trying some of that,

Party. and anyone else trying to remove the Norton crap now or in
the future, y\all can't remove it properly without it's very own removal tool,
and until you remove it party. as you've probably ascertained the machine seems slow and hopeless. D\L, Install, and run, I suggest twice and restart each time - I then use the very dangerous Regseeker but only it's search
function, Find - NORTON, to make sure it's all gone.

[url]http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

crash
29th March 2007, 01:59 PM
Racer is right about Norton's. As posted previously:

To remove Norton's simply go to: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic42247.html and follow instructions. The small program there does it for you.

Chrome Prince
29th March 2007, 10:01 PM
Here's another alternative:

getangry.com.au/

:D

crash
30th March 2007, 06:32 AM
Here's another alternative:

getangry.com.au/

:D
lol.

Racer
30th March 2007, 01:23 PM
bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic42247.html and follow instructions.
Thanks a lot for the addy Crash, something on that page helped me complete a bit of work on a young dame's machine.

Kind Regards.

Chrome Prince
30th March 2007, 01:38 PM
From one of their experts:

There are alot of free Anti Virus programs that are just as good and not near the resource hog that Norton is.

Couldn't agree more!

baco60
30th March 2007, 04:13 PM
Securing your computer
Your computer is important for your day to day business. You use it to surf the web, check emails, do your banking and sometimes do a bit of shopping. However if you don’t protect your computer properly, you are putting yourself and possibly your family and friends at risk.

So it’s smart to protect your computer! After all, you have spent time and money on it. It would be sensible to take a little time to make sure it is protected from harmful emails, viruses and from unauthorised people getting access to your Internet connection and your information.

By following the steps below you can:

develop safe online habits and plan an effective approach to online security;
protect your computer from malicious software such as viruses or spyware;
prevent any unauthorised person from using your computer;
make sure no one can secretly use your Internet connection; and
recover important information if your computer is stolen.
Basic Steps to Secure Your Computer
Step 1: Set and protect your passwords
Step 2: Use and update anti-virus software
Step 3: Use and update anti-spyware software
Step 4: Install and use a firewall
Step 5: Safety settings for your Internet browser
Step 6: Reduce unwanted emails—managing spam
Step 7: Controlling your Internet Connection
More advanced security options
Step 8: Back-up your online data
Step 9: Smart sharing of files
Step 10: Smart wireless Internet connection
Step 11: Smart online telephoning (VoIP)
Step 12: E-security plan for businesses

andywells.com/

crash
30th March 2007, 05:32 PM
This thread is truly turning into a saga. Perhaps you could sell the film rights Party? lol.

partypooper
31st March 2007, 02:05 AM
Crash, yep maybe, I followed your advice and did the Highjack thing, didn't have your e-mail so sent it on to "Chrome" who was able to give me some useful info.

Looks like we are having a total clean sweep on Sunday (after racing) but again I'll take the opportunity of thanking everyone who replied, all tried to help, so am very grateful, cheers, Partypooper!

crash
31st March 2007, 07:04 AM
Nothing like a clean sweep to freshen up the old PC. I'm building a new one at the moment and moving up to a duo-core processor and the latest socket motherboard.

I'd recommend that after formating your HD you divide it up into a Drive C and to a Drive D
Make Drive:C about 15 Gig and put your O/S only on it. Use Drive D for data, photo's and everything else. Make a folder in D for 'programs' and any programs you download form the web. or from Disc, keep them in this folder.

Next time you need to do a clean install you just scrub and re-format Drive C leaving Drive D with all your Exe. programs ready to load into your O/S from your program folder and all your Data etc. right there on Drive D too [I burn an image using Nero of all the programs onto a disc too in case I ever stuff the HD].

Viruses/Trojans etc. infect the O/S [on C] not your benign data etc. on D [scan it all anyway].

It takes me about 30 min. to set up my PC after a clean install [every 12mths.] using the above method because all I have to load onto the HD is the O/S into Drive C and then load my programs to the O/S from my 'program' folder!

Another worthwhile thing to do is to take an image [back-up] of your registry straight after installing your O/S using ERUNT [free] and do this say once a month. Keep these registry back-up in a folder on Drive D. With ERUNT. You just double click on any of these back-ups and your registry and O/S is back to problem free running. Download ERUNT to disc before you scrub your O/S.

Bhagwan
31st March 2007, 08:14 AM
Hi party,
1) The virus removal chaps I use for all software problems tell me that the first thing they do with their customers that come in with Nortons on their computer ,is they remove it & replace it with AVG virus protector (FREE).
I had Notons before & it does conflict with a number of programs , once AVG was installed, it ran like a train, no more conflicts.

2) Most good virus removal specialists charge approx $65 to get rid of all the junk, remove any spyware & viruses, place any necessary updates & fine tune ones machine .
You will find that it will run like an express train when you get it back home.
It is worth it.
I do this twice a year.

3) The other thing that makes a big differece, is using a Modum that has its own Fiewall e.g. Netgear , it reduces virus attacks dramaticaly.
Since I have changed over to this modum , I have not experience one single virus attack .

4) Another idea recomended is to never use auto complete , this helps protect the system from intruders using your stuff.

5) Try & run CCleaner, this is a FREE registry cleaner that unclogs the copies of every thing the system replicates on the hard drive , it wont touch any of your normal stuff, just the copies which one will never use.
It also gets rid of any bank & credit card details one may have used over the net , which can only be a good thing.
I use CCleaner after any finance details have been used over the net.

Get CCleaner registry cleaner from Filehippo.
There is no spyware in this, unlike so many others out there.
It will free up 10's of thousands of relicated files that slow down ones computer over time .
If you have a lot of stuff to come out , one may have to run it several times to get it all out.
Try & use it say 2-3 times a week.

My computer people automaticly place CCleaner on all their customers machines.
It also speeds up ones computer dramtically.

6) It also has another program in it that can check for program "Issiues" that may slow down your system .
Just tell it to fix whatever it brings up & it will automatically repair or delete stuff that has been left over from a previously deleted programs e.g. Notons tail endings , common on most deleted programs.
Remember, it wont delete any actual programs, just stuff left over from programs already deleted.

If it asks if you would like a back up copy , always say no to both programs when prompted because 99.99% of the time you will never need it & you dont need to store another piece of junk that one will never use again & if for some reason one does need something back , one can re-dowload it later on but I have never needed to do that as yet.
This will also speed up your computer.
The program is also very fast & doesnt take up much space.

It's an idea to restart your computer after all this, if your machine has not had its register cleaned for say 6 months, so the system can reset its now clean registry.

7) Another small tip to speed up ones computer when using say the popular
Raceingandsports site , which has a tendency to run slower & slower as one uses the site, is to press/hold Ctrl key and Press the Refresh key then release.
One wiil see at the bottom of the screen all the stuff being removed that has been slowing it down.
Your machine will feel like its now in turbo drive with the increased speed it now has, going page to page.

8) Other must haves that have already been mentioned is Spyware Doctor Search & Destroy, use the immunise program in it to protect you from the known nasties & update this once a week it's FREE. Also Ad-aware FREE (becareful which one you download because there are a number out there with a similiar name that have spyware in them.)
Play it safe & down load both of these from Filehippo.

Cheers.

crash
31st March 2007, 09:08 AM
I'd have to disagree with you about 'CC cleaner' Bagman [or any other reg. cleaner for that matter]. These programs are far from perfect and sometimes remove things from the reg. they shouldn't. The fact you have had no problems means your lucky [so far], not that CC is perfect and I wouldn't let my PC anywhere near a PC tech. They are the ************s that load Norton's and other crap programs onto new computers when people buy them in the first place!

I only use 'RegSeeker' now because after cleaning it gives 2 removal options [red or green]. Green is guaranteed safe to remove and accounts for about 90% of the rubbish. The 10% left in red should be treated more cautiously as it might contain something vital to a program.

The 2 removal options mentioned above is 'RegSeekers' way of acknowledging that no Reg. Cleaner is perfect. Any casual perusal about these cleaners on the web. in various Tech. forums will confirm this. They should be lightly used too. Once every 3mths. is plenty.

Merriguy
31st March 2007, 10:03 AM
Crash,

There are quite a few 'user cautions' on the reviews of the latest version of RegSeeker!!

crash
31st March 2007, 12:23 PM
Crash,

There are quite a few 'user cautions' on the reviews of the latest version of RegSeeker!!

Should be ditto for all Reg. cleaners [RegCleaner is the only one that's honest] !!!

Racer
31st March 2007, 12:58 PM
Should be ditto for all Reg. cleaners [RegCleaner is the only one that's honest] !!!
Crash,

You and CP appear to keep up with the Computer Joneses,
have you seen this before, note the reviews,

snapfiles.com/reviews/ICE_ECC/iceecc.html

AngryPixie
31st March 2007, 01:20 PM
Guys

If you can possibly stretch to it I've always found the best policy is to seperate work from pleasure. I have a machine I use for the punt, and another for everything else. The punt machine really doesn't have to be much, just so long as it can run a browser. You could even look at using a Windows based terminal that run's WinXP Embedded.

Keeping the machine purposes seperate will help protect your punting income and is just good business practice I think.

I regularly use Acronis True Image on my machines, which means I don't have to bother mucking about cleaning infections. Just blow it all away and restore a clean image.

crash
31st March 2007, 02:58 PM
About to add my 3rd. pc here [I'm building it now]. One for her-in-doors and 2 for me:-)

Chrome Prince
31st March 2007, 04:39 PM
I think Bhagwan could be one of my customers :eek:

What he outlined is almost the exact procedure including the cost!!!

With regard to registry cleaners and tweakers, CCleaner is one of the only reliable one's I use, and I have used hundreds in testing.
It's the only reliable one for all o/s's and haven't once had a problem due to using it.
I service in excess of 500 computers per year and I've seen the good the bad and the very ugly.
Be extra careful of downloading any registry cleaner from google ads, they are usually rife with spyware or at least wipe out half your registry all in the name of "look how good we are - look what we found"

Regscrub is another demon which finds lots of stuff but has a tendency to wipe too much including crippling the flash player in explorer, so that even if you install it again the references are corrupt.

I never advise any client to fiddle with the registry at all, as long as they have decent virus protection and and spyware protection, it is best left to those in the know.

*The most common cause of spyware and virus infestation is failing to update the definition files of the program BEFORE scanning (or for those naughty clients - not scanning at all). Then they blame the products or me, because they are too lazy to update and scan just once a week. ;)

partypooper
31st March 2007, 05:03 PM
Phew, glad you said that Chrome as I used the ccleaner, everything "seems"
sweet at the mo, and I had a good win on Yerilla Storm!

Bhagwan
31st March 2007, 06:16 PM
Hi Party,
Out of interest , did CCleaner get rid of the Norton tail endings?
Was there much Junk that came out.?

Cheers.

partypooper
31st March 2007, 11:19 PM
Bhagwan, I'll let you tomorrow, my son is doing that clean up all being well, after racing as I have some business at Geraldton.

Merriguy
1st December 2008, 07:19 PM
Bringing this thread back up to the top because I need some help from you computer gurus,

For some reason I am unable to get the sound on the YouTube clips that I come across. Have googled this problem without luck, or rather the solutions have not made a differernce. I am using Firefox which I realise you for one, Crash, do not like.

Any suggestions welcomed.

crash
11th January 2009, 10:50 AM
Bringing this thread back up to the top because I need some help from you computer gurus,

For some reason I am unable to get the sound on the YouTube clips that I come across. Have googled this problem without luck, or rather the solutions have not made a differernce. I am using Firefox which I realise you for one, Crash, do not like.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Boy, this is an old thread!

Well Merriguy I do now have Firefox on my PC because it has a feature I like and need sometimes ....and Avant and Explorer 6 [I don't like 7]. Explorer 6 as default. I use all 3 of them depending on the site I'm going too. No browser is perfect so with the 3 togeather, I have 1 [almost] perfect browser. I just click onto the short-cut required!

On to your problem. Do you get sound from your Windows media player? Do you get sound using Internet Explorer? As I know nothing about your PC set-up, I'll head for the basics. The 3 most common reasons for no sound:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402691&sliceId=2

See how you go there.

jayjones1
11th January 2009, 11:36 AM
check your drivers in my computer then right click then properties then hardware then device manager then see if there any Xs in there http://c08y1024qmyi129.imageshacknow.info/img/744/k08w1114mkfo/biggrin.gifhttp://c08y1024qmyi129.imageshacknow.info/img/1808/k08w1114mkfo/biggrin.gifhttp://c08y1024qmyi129.imageshacknow.info/img/1795/k08w1114mkfo/biggrin.gifhttp://c08y1024qmyi129.imageshacknow.info/img/1981/k08w1114mkfo/biggrin.gif