PDA

View Full Version : Using excel for form analysis

Benny
16th November 2007, 08:10 PM
Does anyone know how to use excel for form analysis? Entering a horese details.

Shaun
16th November 2007, 11:04 PM
You would need to explain what you want to do?

Are you interested in using ratings or just plain form reading.

Benny
17th November 2007, 12:34 AM
Ratings plus comments how a horses ran during a race from watching a video of the race plus stewards reports.

Shaun
17th November 2007, 11:10 AM
Next question is how well do you know excel?

It is easy to use for ratings as it is a bumbers program and ratings are numbers, you just need to know what rating you wish to apply to each for factor then add it all up.

Getting the form to excel is not all that hard you could use web query or a simple cut and past it depends on how you want the form formated with ib the document.

Here is a thread i posted one of my excel docs on, it has lots of information on formulas that you will need and use in racing.

http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=15977

moeee
5th December 2007, 10:44 AM
Just started looking closely at the NEW RATINGS system that was freely donated by SHAUN and gratefully accepted by me. :)
It would have to be a great starting point in my Form Analysis, and I will have a bit of a play at SANDOWN today.
I will need to add a further column with The New Ratings converted into an Odds Market.
Then I shall compare what it comes up with against the Starting Prices to see if it is profitable.
We all know that if we backed every horse in every race to win $100 , then we will lose $15 on every race.

If the Shaun New Ratings are better at selecting than the general consensus, then by backing each horse to win $100 using the prices generated by the Rating Method , The loss will be somewhat less than $15.

The same thing can be done using any the Unitab Ratings , and many have offered freely , ways to convert those Ratings to prices.
But I haven't noticed anybody has published any follow up to this as to how it is going financially.
I guess one would be tempted not to give away for free some winning information with figures backing them up.
I don't see a problem with providing the information.But it would be over the top to provide exactly how those profits were made.

Thank you SHAUN for the NEW RATINGS Program.
It been sitting on my Computer for about 6 months I think.
I been wasting away my resources with Greyhounds , and I think I may have been able to kick that habit.Although it is very tempting to continue.

moeee
5th December 2007, 04:58 PM
I never had a bet today but I did have a bit of a play with SHAUN'S NEW RATINGS.
I couldn't get the Form into the Database , so I just played around with the FIELD Data.

I notice that weighting is missing from each of the various Factors.
It seems that a horse who is the top of the table of Place% is given the same points as the horse at the top of the win% and also the horse at the top of the Av/Pr table.

Also, there is no weighting in each individual Factor.
If a horse has a HUGE advantage in Av/Pr over the 2nd horse in the list, then it is given the same points even if it is a single dollar more then the 2nd horse.

I don't know whether it would make a lot of difference overall in the Order horses end up in, in the ratings.
But it will make a huge difference in the margins between each horses ratings, and this would make converting the ratings into prices somewhat more accurate.

moeee
5th December 2007, 06:32 PM
I would like to suggest throwing in a further Ordering Factor in the Spreadsheet.
The Order of Total Prizemoney won.
I sort of cheated in coming up with this idea.
In the last race at Sandown was a top performer using the FIELD Statistics only.
It started at HUGE Odds and finished midfield.
It was No 15 Fighting Wrights.
I found that by introducing the Stakemoney Order of Finish, then this horse was LAST Rated.
And by the way, the 1st FOUR finish in this Race were the Top 4 selections using these FIELD Statistics only in the NEW RATINGS.
And it got the QUINELLA in one.

Could somebody please run the Program as SHAUN has provided it, using the FIELD and also the FORM for the race 7 at SANDOWN today?
And post the results in finishing Order?
I will try again but can't get the FORM to paste into the program properly.

Shaun
6th December 2007, 02:50 AM
Moeee, great you are having a look at my ideas i will say they are not the best ratings ideas around but as you say a starting point.

The main reason i posted them in the first place was mainly for the formulas contained with in the sheet, these have taken me awhile to find the right ones to do what i needed and i hope other can find what they need with in the doc.

If you can tell me where you are having problems i may be able to help, one thing i have found is a lot of Microsoft Office program won't do the same thing as a newer or older version, i use 2003 hope that helps.

Maybe we could share some dogs info in the future as i have looked at these with some thought because of the small fields.

moeee
6th December 2007, 09:08 AM
Shaun.
Had another go at cut and pasting the Form and sort of got it right.
It's a bit like learning to wipe your ******** with the left hand.
MESSY at the start, but gets cleaner the more times you do it.

DOGS?
You want DOGS Info?
I got DOGS Info!

Read this and know this!
Whatever System you use to come up with selections,KNOW that THE START will make or break you.
I often could come up with the Best Dogs in order.
But it is very,very common for the best ****** not to win.
And it is due to it not being allowed to run at its potential ability.

What you will need to know is how quick the dogs are.
If you can find that information, you can then analyse what will happen in that very first half a second or so of the lids opening.
I tried doing that by using 1st Split times, but that is not what you are after.
It is a lot like Drag Racing where REACTION Time is Critical.
If a ****** does not begin immediately on trap rise, what happens is the dogs around it begin quickly and merge toward the rail.
So the passage for the slow beginner closes and no amount of acceleration will be enough to get the ****** through.
All it will result in is a severe check and loss of momentum and that is the end of that.
Just remeber Shaun, REACTION TIME.
It may be in some Form Guides, but I am giving it away after much loss of Finances.
I really don't feel like devoting my time figuring out which dogs a going to mess up the start and allow the other dogs to win on default.
That is what I hate about Greyhound racing.Not all dogs a given an even chance of winning the race.DAMN it feels ******** when your ****** gets knocked out of it. :(

Here's another thing to remember!
A Greyhounds brain is about the size of a walnut.
Or is it a peanut?
Even a jockey has got a brain somewhat larger than that.

moeee
6th December 2007, 10:02 AM
SHAUN!!!!

Now I can't do it at all.
I go to TVF site and select Ballarat.
Then I select Fields in the dropdown list but I forgot how to save it from there.