PDA

View Full Version : Database creation

thorns
31st July 2008, 07:29 PM
Hey guys, I am currently in the thought process of creating my own database for recording selections for my racing, with the intention of eventually being able to run filters through all the results. The main thing I want to be sure of before I start, is exactly what sort or data I should enter about each selection. I started off thinking I would just do something really simple using some freely available ratings, with only a couple of bits of data added for each selection. However the more I think about it, the more I realize that is going to be better starting with as much information as possible, I don't want to get to a stage, 6 months down the track where I realize that I actually want more data in there, and then effectively having 6 months data, which is now of next to no use to me. I am also in the process of researching creating my own ratings as well, so a this databse would be great for that as well.

So my question to all the forumites is, what would you have as a must include? At the moment my plan is for the following:

Date
TAB number
Horse Name
Rating
Gap to 2nd rated
Barrier
Track Condition
Weight
Won at course
Won at distance
Last three starts
Days since last run
Unitab Rating

Possible others (unsure at moment)
Top Jockey
Top Trainer
Starting price on tote

So that is my basic list at the moment, I'm sure I am missing some obvious ones that have escaped my mind at the present time. But what are your thoughts on the above? Are there any there which you would not include? Any you can think of that would be worthwile including? Am keen to get some opinions from all members here, and would be great if anybody else on here who has perhaps been down the same route as I want to go, could offer any advice, and things to watch out for.

Cheers
Paul

Mr Quaddie
31st July 2008, 08:29 PM
Date (Disregard)
TAB number (Disregard)
Horse Name (Disregard)
Rating (Must be inside top 5)
Gap to 2nd rated (Disregard)
Barrier (Must not be Barrier 1)
Track Condition (FAST,GOOD,HEAVY ONLY)
Weight (55kgs to 58kgs)
Won at course (Disregard)
Won at distance (Must of WON or PLACE @ DISTANCE)
Last three starts (Must equal 10 or below)
Days since last run (MUST OF RACED WITHIN LAST 14 DAYS)
Unitab Rating (Must be inside top 5)
Price (Must be within the first 5 listed in newspapers and under $21)

The strike rate for that would be pretty high.

Crackone
31st July 2008, 08:54 PM
Hi Thorns as you said include as much as you can get your hands on.

Possible
Class
Distance
Pre post odds
What it did pay (or would off)
Venue, some ratings work better at differant venues
Win and Place % for the horse overall and for the distance of this race

thorns
31st July 2008, 09:13 PM
Cheers for the replys so far, keep em coming. Exactly what I was after crackone, mostof those are pretty obvious, but I can never remember them all when it comes down to write them all out. Will update my first post I think as I get more suggestions/ideas.

edit: hmmm strange, for some reason I cant edit my first post, but I can edit this one.

Michal
1st August 2008, 10:27 AM
Your first instinct was the correct one, I guessing that you are scavinging these from here and everywhere free? Take everything disregard nothing. If you realy want to get serious about a database then use a service, there are several that arent that expensive, but Im sure that I cant name them here?

Make your database as a two fold thing; one database with the data that you want which is realtive to the rest of the horses in the race, things like weight, TAB rating and all the things.

Then have a second database where you store as much information about the horse individually. That includes his past starts, the times he ran if you can beaten marging that sort of thing. From this way you can discern patterns of performance that most people have no possible chance of seeing. How did the horse perform last first up ?? The first up before ???

I was recently having a discusion with a friend of mine who couldnt see how I could have a certain horse on top first up since its form was 4 starts fup - 1 place ...... Yet the horse was just unlucky all its runs were less then 2 lengths of the winner that to me indicates horse that performs well, it proved it that day when it soundly beaten all its opposition whom I rated as not being up to his standard. That sort of thing will be unnoticed by those that have minimal form and overall stats. What is more better a 6th position beaten 1.5 lengths or 2nd beaten 3 ???

My personal opinion is that you get the results that you put in yourself, by all means collect the Unitab ranking but for christ sakes create your own, dont bet on horses because everyone else is on them, there are lots of free giveaways like TAB ratings and tips ..... if they were actually profitable to a degree that they could replace the wages of those that create them that these people would be crating them and giving them away for free? There are no secret angles in using free for all facilities there are so many that have gone through these with a microscope if there is one its over bet and underperorming. Trust me there are smarter people then you and me combined. The only success you will find is creating an opportunity that arises from circumstances where your rating is individul. Its all about consistancy do you know what goes into making the TAB rating ? Have they changed the parametrs since they started? Are you double dipping by adding performance indicators that have already been considered in creating of the rating? What about the tipster was he fully concentrating when he did the tips or did he run late that day and skiped a few things?

When you undertake such a job of creating a database why then handicap yourself with a dependancy on others?

Michal

darkydog2002
1st August 2008, 03:04 PM
Hi Thorns.

Quite a good list so far.

My suggestions would be

CLASS : Same or Drop

RACE POSN: Leader or races on the pace ( 1st to 5th on the home turn in the majority of their races or at a "glance" in the Sportsman)

Good luck with your project.

Cheers.
darky.