PDA

View Full Version : Weighty Issues.

TWOBETS
12th August 2008, 11:10 AM
Could one of you clever forumites enlighten me as to how the TAB saddleloth numbers are allocated please?

I always thought the gg with the heavier handicap got the lower number, but today I realize (geelong R2 for example) that my thinking is plainly round the bend.

Merriguy
12th August 2008, 01:00 PM
Those two were emergencies --- I guess that is the answer!

TWOBETS
12th August 2008, 01:42 PM
As you can tell, I'm sure, I've never really studied the flesh and blood aspect of this wonderful game. Perhaps you could just confirm that I am seing this about right... Some races have more entries than are able to be raced safely so there might be a few at the bottom (high numbers) that will only race if there are scratchings to allow them into the race. Is it first come first served or what?

Sorry I'm so thick !

Merriguy
12th August 2008, 02:26 PM
Now you are getting a bit technical for me :-)

In the paper form you will see the races that have emergecies at the bottom of the entries. I guess they limit the starters for safety reasons on various tracks. If there are scratchings the emergencies get the chance. Who gets the call up I do not know.... Probably ballotted in some way as I guess is done in the first place when entries are closed and there are too many starters.

TWOBETS
12th August 2008, 02:50 PM
Close enough for me . Thanks for the help.

Mancunian
12th August 2008, 07:56 PM
But doesn't the handicapper allocate weights to the emergenies as well - in case they get a start. I.m sure I've seen emergencies with a lot higher weights than those around it in saddlecloth numbers
e.g. bottom weight #15 aaaaaa 51kg
emergency # 16 bbbbb 53kg.

anyone able to clarify ?

cheers .........Mancunian

Bhagwan
13th August 2008, 03:25 AM
Sometimes one will see the TAB Nos. at the bottom with the letter "E" for emergency.

One will see that these very rarely win.
If they ever get to start, they run under the std. Hcp wt. conditions allocated by the Handicapper.

Generally, the highest wts. start at the top down in TAB No. order.

Cheers.

Michal
13th August 2008, 07:19 AM
Yes,

The weights are allocated by the horses ability acording to the handicapper. I have seen emergancies with 57 kg.

On the handicapper I dont think that they are what they used to be. I think that they dont go by the horses curent ability anymore but rather overall ability based on API and such that is why you have horses that are obviously out of condition and havent won anything for a while still getting TAB 1 and the weight. Also the weight spread has been shrunk so there isnt as much of a variation between the top weight and the bottom weight in MOST races I feel.

Michal

jfc
13th August 2008, 08:17 AM
Could one of you clever forumites enlighten me as to how the TAB saddleloth numbers are allocated please?

I always thought the gg with the heavier handicap got the lower number, but today I realize (geelong R2 for example) that my thinking is plainly round the bend.

The race was a set weight Maiden.

56Kg Mares
58Kg Colts + Geldings

The new Geelong surface has a limit of 11 starters.

So TAB#s above 11 meant an Emergency.

TWOBETS
13th August 2008, 01:51 PM
Now I really do feel enlightened!