PDA

View Full Version : Calling Chrome

partypooper
13th September 2008, 12:51 PM
Chrome, got a nasty in the comp again anything you can suggest, one care picked it up and stopped it, but the comp is sick still, keeps shutting down the dreaded "blue page"
the problems seems to be
Win32/adware vitumonde
win32/Privacy remover
Trojan Downloader win32/FEMA

I've done a onecare online scan clean up, but can't get the full scan to work , just freezes.

Not sure if I'm allowed to say my e-mail address in these circumastances, but the one you already have is inaccessable....... so if you feel inclined the alternative is alerlin AT A VERY WELL KNOWN WARMISH PLACE

any help appreciated

Shaun
13th September 2008, 01:25 PM
If you have only just got it in the last couple days shut off system restore (right click "my computer" then "properties" then " system restore") then go to "start" "programs" "accessories" "system tools" "system restore" and restore your computer to a few days ago, then when the computer restarts if everything looks ok turn your system restore back on (right click "my computer" then "properties" then " system restore")

Run your virus scanner again to check everything is ok.

Chrome Prince
13th September 2008, 02:13 PM
Shaun is correct.

Also can you tell me what operating system you are using, what antivirus as well?

In the interim, please download a program called Malwarebytes (free) from Malwarebytes.org

Make sure you update it online first, and then perform a quick scan rather than a full scan.

Malwarebytes will get rid of all those problems listed.

Once it has removed same, please reboot and do it again to be sure nothing else is lurking and then perform a virus scan.

You should come up clean.

Do all this if Shaun's suggestion doesn't work or it crashes, or it's already turned off.

The Malwarebytes is a handy tool to have in your armoury anyway, update it and scan once a week or if you notice a slowdown.

It will keep your pc clean from most spyware nasties.

partypooper
13th September 2008, 02:17 PM
thanks men will try all of the above!!

partypooper
13th September 2008, 02:27 PM
If you have only just got it in the last couple days shut off system restore (right click "my computer" then "properties" then " system restore") then go to "start" "programs" "accessories" "system tools" "system restore" and restore your computer to a few days ago, then when the computer restarts if everything looks ok turn your system restore back on (right click "my computer" then "properties" then " system restore")

Run your virus scanner again to check everything is ok.

Thanks Shaun, doesn't seem to give me an option to restore to a previous date, the calender thingo is there but with todays date highlighted and no other option??? any ideas?

Chrome Prince
13th September 2008, 02:31 PM
Try Malwarebytes :D

Shaun
13th September 2008, 03:15 PM
You should be able to click on one of the dates before todays date, if not maybe the spyware has taken out the restore points this is possible.

partypooper
13th September 2008, 03:26 PM
ALL FIXED, thanks heaps Shaun and Chrome, it was the Malwarebytes that did it. But I'll remember the sytem restore for future use.

Anything else you suggest I should run now?

Chrome Prince
13th September 2008, 04:00 PM
Which antivirus software are you using?

partypooper
13th September 2008, 04:55 PM
Norton, but have the One Care thingo as well (do you think they could conflict?)

Chrome Prince
13th September 2008, 05:48 PM
Oh dear, I despise Norton.

Personally, it is not rated highly amongst it's competitors and is far too memory intensive - it slows down your computer far too much.

I'd get rid of all of it and put in Avast Free Home Edition.

Shaun
13th September 2008, 06:23 PM
I will second avast, i use to use AVG but found the newer version slows down my pc.

partypooper
13th September 2008, 11:21 PM
thanks my norton is almost out of date so will look at that AVAST