PDA

View Full Version : cheeky begger needs more comp help! calling buffs

partypooper
25th December 2008, 06:16 PM
Ok, so now I know that the reason that my comp is playing up (very slow etc) is that the hard drive was inadvertantly (or should I say unbeknown to me) partitioned, so I have 10gb on C almost full, and 30gb on D with 28 and a half GB empty......grrrr! now I understand that you can't "unpartition it" but can I get stuff across from c to d without causing more problems? and if so what is the best way to do it??? eg. windows is over 5gb and programme files are almost 3 gb for a start.

stugots
25th December 2008, 08:50 PM
Hi Party, im assuming you are using Windows XP?

short term options -
1. change the location of your 'My Documents' folder to the 'D' drive -
heres how - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

2. change the location of the Page File to the 'D' drive - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307886

3. uninstall any unused software - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307895

there are a few other cleanup routines you could run but i believe others have already suggested those previously

long term - a 40gig drive is simply too small these days Party - so backup everything important to cd/dvd, purchase a new hard drive, min 200gig, & reinstall Windows to the new drive. You could leave the old drive in your pc so as to copy over all necessary documents etc to the new drive, but that drive would need to be set as a 'slave'

hope ive been of some help
stugs

partypooper
25th December 2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks stugs, but unfortunately my comp doesn't allow what is suggested (It rarely does), eg I can't get to my docs from start?? so I just get there from the shortcut, then right click> properties, click target and try the the first option ,just go round in circles, so tried second option, move, select folder etc., but only options given are to desktop, so totally confused!! forgot to tell you that when it comes to computers THAT is very easily done hhaaha!

PS Yes xp

stugots
26th December 2008, 09:09 AM
I hear you Party, pc's can be & often are a major pain in the u know what

Your best bet may be to ask around for a family friend to assist, or the local tech guy/gal

Shaun
26th December 2008, 10:53 AM
That would be my suggestion get a tech to do it it will cost you maybe a few hundred but atleast they can get it all sorted, i would format it to 1 drive then get a back up drive for your data they can do this and save all your stuff you have now.

partypooper
26th December 2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I was thinking there was a way to "cut and paste" , say programmes from c to d, sounds like it's much more complicated than that, but thanks for the feed back anyway.

Chrome Prince
1st January 2009, 01:07 PM
Partypooper (how was New Year's Eve you pooper) ;)

You can cut and paste any documents or spreadsheets from drive C: to drive D
You cannot cut and paste the My Documents folder or program files, as you'll muck up the registry shortcuts.
My suggestion would be to keep your operating system and program files on the C: partition, and just creat a documents or racing folder and move those documents and spreadsheets to that folder on D:

That way if you need to reinstall for any reason, your documents are all there.

partypooper
4th January 2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks Chrome, just spotted that, yes that helps I might just try it with some backed up stuff and see what happens.