PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Odds

partypooper
10th January 2009, 11:36 AM
I have again got fixed on a race at Ascot today backing every horse in the race to win 2.4%. This was very hard work and took ages, mainly because I'm unfamiliar with where to get the odds, can anyone suggest where I can get fixed odds early on, whilst I'll never make a fortune at this, I get such a kick when I know that I cannot lose.

1annandale1
10th January 2009, 11:47 AM
I'm intrigued .How did you get fixed odds at Ascot so early?

partypooper
10th January 2009, 12:44 PM
1annandale1, that's the problem, eg. you can get fixed odds from Canbet right to the end of the program, but don't seem to be avaiable early on so you have to bet with a bookie or get friends to bet for you (theres a limit to friendship)

I do get circulars most weeks offering fixed odds but only for certain races.

What I'm after is a selection of fixed odds available early on so that I have time to do the mathes? any ideas?

Chrome Prince
10th January 2009, 12:52 PM
The slight problem with this approach is when there is a late scratching and deductions ruin it all, or you work for ages and can only lock in a 10% loss across the board.
They don't tell you about when you lose no matter what horse wins the race - a very sick feeling indeed.
Often bookies will put up fake odds and when you go to put on the bet, the odds aren't (and never were available) or are snapped up by someone else ahead in the queue.

For what it's worth, if you have a huge and massive bank, it works.
Sean Bartholomew (one of Australia's biggest punters) employs very similar tactics to get over the odds on the top end of the field.

If he likes the favourite, he'll back the horses around it everywhere and suddenly the favourite eases, he gets better odds before CRUNCH on the favourite.
He'll manipulate the market because he has the power to do so.
It's a very bad tactic to do this without the bankroll to back it up.

partypooper
10th January 2009, 01:07 PM
Chrome, Mmmmmm, a very good point there that I hadn't factored in. Acumen will give fixed odds early on but didn't mention anything about penalties.

As far as the pro goes ...... reminds me of a bloke called John Gogh in the UK a few years back (a well known pro) he used to employ that tactic, he was well known by the public at the track (especially York) and would manipulate prices like that very successfully, (though it didn't always work of course) I remember they banned him from betting on the Tote cos he would have 50,000 for a place red hot favs...like 10-1 ON etc , as the tote had a minimum payout (in those days) of 11p (10p stake)

stugots
10th January 2009, 04:56 PM
If he likes the favourite, he'll back the horses around it everywhere and suddenly the favourite eases, he gets better odds before CRUNCH on the favourite.

any market watchers out there will note this happening on a regular basis, i tried to build something around it a while back & failed dismally(:

party, i had some fun on betfair doing a similar thing, usually with only 1 or 2 nags in a race, win if they win, win if they lose, wonderful feeling once its all locked in, but again failed to make it pay longterm as too often they shortened when i needed em to lengthen or vice versa

so worked out eventually i much prefer to see my sole selection in the race power home to WIN, i still lay the odd very short nag i suspect cant win, but it just never provides the same level of satisfaction/moola