PDA

View Full Version : New Whip Rules

Pauls123
5th September 2009, 04:38 PM
Is it just me, or do the on pace horses seem to have much more of an advantage now with these new whip rules. Watching races on Sky, it seems like when a front runner kicks on the turn, in a lot of cases its very hard for horses coming from behind to make much headway with their restricted use of the whip now.

Any thoughts on this..?

Paul

peterpan
5th September 2009, 06:00 PM
Is it just me, or do the on pace horses seem to have much more of an advantage now with these new whip rules. Watching races on Sky, it seems like when a front runner kicks on the turn, in a lot of cases its very hard for horses coming from behind to make much headway with their restricted use of the whip now.

Any thoughts on this..?

PaulPauls123,
My thoughts on it are that the people that thought the rules up are the biggest mob of idiots I have ever seen.
Could you imagine being on half a ton of horse, there are 6or7 of them fighting out the finish and the hoop has to count how many times he whips the damn thing. Apart from being nearly impossible to do it also makes it a lot more dangerous for the hoop as often they use the whip to control a wayward horse.
I see Corey Brown got 13meetings suspension for trying to win the Wyong Cup.
A few months ago if a jockey didn't show all the vigor that the stewards thought he should he got a very long suspension for not trying.
I think it is going to make it easier NOT let a horse win which could benefit some layers on betfair that are in the know.
I really think that all jockeys Australia wide should go on strike until these stupid rules are changed.

joelance
5th September 2009, 06:18 PM
Paul,

There you go.....instead of complaining about the new whip rules....use it to your advantage...here are a couple of ideas......

..if on pacers are winning more races...look for on pacers and back them.

or....look at the jockeys who have adapted best to the new rules....do you know how to analyze the performance of jockeys?

Pauls123
5th September 2009, 06:33 PM
Peter Pan, I totally agree with you there. Actually I backed Lodge The Deeds yesterday in the Wyong Cup. Just after the race I was wishing C Brown would have ridden his mount a little harder, oops...! However as it was pointed out on some site on here, just what comeback would the connections of Mr Clangtastic have had, had LTD got up by a nostril instead of being beaten by that margin. It has been clearly stated that no protest will be heard in such a case.

THAT becomes the grey area in this farcical new rule.

Joelance, yes I agree with your remarks also. I've long been a backer/follower of on pace runners and sectional times. It is STILL the only way I can make a profit in this game (bets in 10 races today for 8 winners with multiple bets, just a pity most of the shorties saluted).

Your comments regarding the jockeys, "..do you know how to analyze the performance of jockeys?.." Just what have you got in mind.

Paul

peterpan
10th September 2009, 02:23 PM
Whip rules remain unchanged and at this moment the hoops at Ballarat and Hawkesbury are having meetings to decide whether to go ahead with the meetings.

This could really escalate and IMHO I don't blame them even though it will effect me as I bet daily.

Pauls123
10th September 2009, 04:08 PM
As much as I would hate to see meetings cancelled, particularly on saturday/s, I say "good on the jockeys" for taking this stance. I believe all associated in the racing game want to see the mount they own/back/train whatever, given the best possible chance it has of winning the race.

Paul

schmucta80
10th September 2009, 04:56 PM
Support them totally.

Why make two changes? why not factor one change in, ie. the new whip, see how that goes for a bit rather then have a new whip and new whip rules.

Totally stupid to me, and good on the jocks

xanadu
10th September 2009, 05:43 PM
Goodonya Schmuckta,
You have made an independent observation........!

Cheers.

lomaca
10th September 2009, 05:43 PM
It was well known to be coming, but I did not hear anyone complaining, I made some remarks along those lines on an other forum.

It has nothing to do with the welfare of horses and everything with placating the noisy PC animal rights crowd.
First they want to stop jump races, then the whip, and after that, watch out, they go for gallops.

I'm not being alarmist because it's never going to happen, but given the chance, I bet you, that's what they want and giving in to them on anything, is just encouraging them.
Some horses are lazy they will not perform without some force.
As someone said, it's wide open to abuse and how can you even prove it?
After all the jock only followed rules!

No profanities please. Moderator.

luv2bet
10th September 2009, 09:13 PM
is racing a horse 2 miles too far... maybe the melbourne cups next to go!
lots of my good mates are racehorses and they are very well looked after and love nothing more than racing!!
Well done to the jockeys, make a stand now before a horse loses a group 1 because the jockey was following the rules..
the new rules are an utter disgrace

goty0405
11th September 2009, 06:13 AM
...lots of my good mates are racehorses...Hahaha thanks. That gave me a good laugh so early in the morning :)

Bhagwan
11th September 2009, 07:25 AM
I feel ,what we have here, is a classic battle between the Technocrats & the Workers.

The word on the street ,says, that the Jockeys blood boiled over , when it was suggested to them ,that they could be sued for their actions if they withdrew their services.

That would make anyone cranky.
Force workers to work ... what does that remind you of?

The Jockeys have an eclectic talent, I mean , you couldn't exactly call the army in to take over their duties , could you?

Lets see how many millions will be lost before it is resolved.
Its a 1.01 bet, that the money lost from that virus will be minuscule compared to what the losses of this will produce.
It could be billions.

The Technocrats have nothing to lose because its not their money, they have no vested interest in this industry , if it gets destroyed , no big deal to them , so this could go for some time.

It is said money talks, well lets see what it has to say at the end of the day & quickly.

Maybe a generous donation in the right direction may make it all go away.

Maybe an SOS to Bob Hawk & his negotiation talents is needed to sort this one out.

Cheers.

pharfromoz
11th September 2009, 08:19 AM
they couldnt just wait one more race so i could go large on kathy oharas ride on STAMPEDE.killen me!

its just crazy that they would make rules in the part of the race that is the most important- the finish.

horses repspond differently to the whip or how they are scrubbed. the people that make the rules think they are robots and you have 4 power coins and you must use those power coins wisely to get to the wire first.

Try Try Again
11th September 2009, 11:04 AM
The ARB's stand is not good for the industry. Punters will lose confidence in the product if the current rules stand as they are. The change put up by the Jockeys gives every horse a chance to win the race and not be subjected to "what ifs". There is no grey area unlike the current scenario.

I have benefited (Deer Valley) when the jockey has surpassed the current rule as well as lost (Typhoon Tracy) when the winning jockey also surpassed the current rule. How did I feel - both elated and let down!

I feel it is idiotic that, at the most important time in the Racing calendar, we are "trialing" this rule. This should have been done over the less important Summer months and then the results could have been discussed and (obvious) changes made before the Autumn racing began.

What is next on the ARB's agenda disqualification and relegation to last of horses/jockeys that "break" this rule?

This will be the time I give up the punt.

Pauls123
11th September 2009, 11:30 AM
Send your thoughts direct to the ARB. This is their email addy : arb@australianracingboard.com.au (addy......arb@australianracingboard.com.au)

I have just sent mine which read..."
I would like to add my comments to the no doubt countless other letters you are receiving regarding this matter.

As the horse racing industry is the second largest industry in australia and this change is a major amendment, the largest I can ever recall, exactly what statistics/facts had a bearing to arrive at this decision.

It is my view that every owner/trainer/punter is entitled to his horse being given every possible chance to win the race.

These jockeys have to control massive beasts that are about 10 times their own body weight, make decisions in a split second, look after their own safety plus others around them. And now they have to count how many times they use their (padded) whip in the middle of all this,.......come on now...!!

I could not believe watching tv this morning and seeing a remark from your representative along the lines of ".....we have to cater for community standards..", or words to that effect....."

crash
11th September 2009, 01:55 PM
I've told them I'm not punting again until they remove the new whip laws.

If they get enough punters saying that, it might get their attention!

crash
11th September 2009, 07:32 PM
The whip rules will not work in the big races.

Look at last week in the MAKYBE DIVA STKS. To anyone who watched the replay, Oliver flogged Vigor to the line [bad luck if your money was on 2nd. place-getter Typhoon Tracy]. Big deal, a reprimand from the Stewards! Even for a fine, some jocks are going to ignore the new rules especially in big prize-money races. Pity the poor punter as it's hard enough already picking winners.

Can anyone imagine any jock with a winning chance worrying about the whip rules in the Cox plate or the Melb. Cup? :-)

Shaun
11th September 2009, 08:18 PM
Problem solved remove all whips from races no complaints about over whipping a horse and no worries about a fine.

partypooper
11th September 2009, 10:03 PM
well my 2 cents worth, I was about to add my support for the Jocks, in light of such an unbelievablely STUPID rule, Oh my God!

Remember though the first people to benefit from a Jockeystrike is the "Punter" as collectivly we are millions better off!

Unfortunately there's a lot of losers in the industry my heart bleeds for the "TAB" and all those poor Bookies, owners and Trainers out there, but genuinely for all the employees that will be affected sooner or later if it continues... not to mention the spin off affect, media employees etc etc.

The LAST people to suffer will be the hangers on, those in all the jobs for the boys hovering on the outskirts of the racing industry, lets just say the hierarcy and their drongos' THEIR pay will not be affected at all untill it's very , very serious, ........ Jocks you would need to be in for a long long fight, (they've seen to that)

BUT, as a quick solution, Shauns suggestion is not so DAFT, i.e. the genuine nags that don't need whipping will rise to the surface, the lazy (equine) and their offspring will fade away, the natural Jock that can get the best out of a horse without flogging it will prevail, and the other bloke who can only prevail at the expense of the horses hide will slide into oblivion!!

So Shaun, yes you have my vote!

No profanities please. Moderator.<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

syllabus23
12th September 2009, 07:05 AM
"One jockey in western Victoria said: ''I hope they're not looking at picking on Monday and Tuesday meetings so we lose our bread and butter and suffer the financial consequences while the big-earning jockeys sit back and wait for the Saturdays and take no financial" (SMH 12th Sept.)

Solidarity comrades ??????

The establishment will pee this one in..........

Percentum
12th September 2009, 09:16 AM
Sometimes I listen to the NZ Racing Radio and they sometimes play an ad where two horses are talking about racing and life in general. One horse says to the other that he likes humans and he likes running but he doesn't always like it when they put a little bloke on his back. I wonder if the ARB heard this and took it for literal and authentic. Good on the jockeys.

Marcus
12th September 2009, 09:51 AM
No strike is needed. All the jockeys and apprentice jockeys have to do is collectively agree to ignore the new rule when riding in races.

What is going to happen? Are stewards going to be fining every jockey every race?

Shaun
12th September 2009, 09:58 AM
Simple answer is yes, more money for them.

Only thing they understand is money so why not hit them where it hurts.

Bhagwan
14th September 2009, 02:53 AM
If the objective is to hurt offending Jockeys .

Why stop at money fines that affects their livelihood.

Why not hit the Jockey the same amount of times he/she exceeds the limit , with the same padded riding crop, publicly.
We could have the head Technocrat meat out the punishment.
And if he does not hit them hard enough , he then should be obliged to be whipped also.

Now there's an idea.

They could advertise these public floggings.
The crowds would pay handsomely to see that, just like in the old days, its just another great idea to get the crowds back to the track.

After all , isn't it about punishing Jockeys who disobey the Technocrats.

Why not let the Technocrats take on a few mounts & show us all ,how it should be done.
Now that would be funny.
They could advertise this as well.

I feel the whippings & beatings should continue until the general Jockey moral improves.

To those who feel that these ideas are ridiculous .
Just remember , they started it.

Cheers