PDA

View Full Version : Sunline for Plate number three

Dave
22nd October 2001, 12:16 AM
When looking at the Cox Plate market about 6 weeks ago, I had a feeling Sunline was going to shorten substantially on her quote of $3.50. I estimated that she would probably start at around even money on raceday, so naturally I snapped up the 5/2 odds as soon as I layed my eyes on them. And I must say, I am quite pleased with myself at this stage.

I honestly can't see the mare getting beaten. As a matter of fact, I think she'll have a couple of lengths to spare over Northerly and Universal Prince.

We mustn't forget that when Sunline won her previous two Cox Plates, she was coming off shock defeats. But she always made a lie of that form when she stepped out onto the tight Mooney Valley circuit.

I think the McKees are masters at getting the horse to fire on the right day... she has won nearly every big race she has ever been specifically set for, except maybe her third placing in Dubai against the world's best.

Her record at the 2000m is unbelievable. Her record at the Valley is almost perfect. And it doesn't matter if the track is wet or dry.

I believe Sunline is a five length better horse at Mooney Valley than she is at Flemington. So considering she was able to win the Turnbull at Flemington, I'd almost have to say that her lead up form this year is better that the last two years. Northerly is a very good horse, but I don't think he's a champion... and he's going to need to be if he is to win next Saturday.

And just for the record, I think Universal Prince will come off a Cox Plate placing to win the Melbourne Cup easily. I believe that it's a very weak field this year, and Etherial proved that weight for age form is the best form for the big races.

Universal Prince is competitive at weight for age against the best horses around, so once he gets the distance he wants on Cup day I think he will gap them.

I'd be interested to hear everyone's views on these topics because I've seen quite a bit of "Sunline bagging" on these forums and I can't find a single reason as to why she can be beaten.