PDA

View Full Version : brave statement

dizzle
24th October 2001, 10:58 AM
I have just witnessed one of the bravest or stupidist statments in racing. Mark Read (Darwin All Sports) belives Sunline won't run a place in the Cox Plate. With rain forecast for the rest of the week in Melbourne I think he is a goose saying that. Even with his comments I bet he does not offer odds about Sunline that reflect his comments. Big mouth no a balls!
Who knows though he may be proved right, lets wait and see.

mr magic
24th October 2001, 02:03 PM
He is currently offering 2/1 on his website which is better than the 11/8 on offer elsewhere. I also believe he is off the mark but at least he has the jatz to bet a decent price and back his judgment. You don't see it in the Sydney betting ring thats for sure.

michael
24th October 2001, 10:37 PM
Dear All

Has anyone considered this? Both Sunline and Northerly missing a place. Imagine the odds you might get. Worth some thought!

Michael

ahhhmike
25th October 2001, 12:36 AM
Three horses SILVANO, UNIVERSAL PRINCE & NORTHERLY are all big chances of beating our great mare SUNLINE. A bookmaker like Mark Read knows what he is talking about. TRUST HIM !!!!!

dizzle
25th October 2001, 11:49 AM
I understand Mark Read must have a wealth of knowledge about racing but why doesn't he put his money where his mouth is. I know he is offering $2 instead of 11/8 or thereabouts but if he believes Sunline won't run a place why isn't she on the third line of betting in his market. Surely a wealth of money fo Sunline would not deter him because apparently he knows what he is talking about?

TheBadger
25th October 2001, 12:01 PM
I agree with ahhhmike. I think it is very likely that Sunline will miss a place.

Sunline and Northerly will fight it out in front and I think Childs and Oliver will be out to break the backs of Silvano and Universal Prince so they have nothing for the run home. If this happens my money is on Northerly as he has the sustained speed to keep it going at track record pace. Sunline will fight on like the champ she is but will be beaten 100 out. Slivano and Universal Prince will be flying home but will have too much ground to make up and Northerly wont be slowing to the line.

All I am sure of though is it's going to rival '86.

25th October 2001, 02:54 PM
The key to Sunline loosing, is another horse making it chase. In both her losses this prep a horses has dashed to the front, Sunline has gone to stay in touch, then she has been over ran by another horse coz she just didnt have the final punch left in her. The horse that will do that, Universal Prince! TheBadger is right, Northerly will go out fromthe start...and they will both get beaten! Think about how close the Prince has been getting to wins, its about due!

TheBadger
25th October 2001, 03:41 PM
Agreed that Universal Prince is due for a win, but he'll have to until the Cup.

Dave
25th October 2001, 11:34 PM
Have you all gone mad ? Why does everyone seem to think that Sunline's form is not as good these days ?

She couldn't win the Turnbull last year but this year she won comfortably. And the year before she was unplaced in the Epsom in one of her lead-up runs.

The worst she has done this prep is run second, and I guarantee the McKee's will have her firing on Saturday.

If Universal Prince couldn't beat Sunline at Flemington, then how on earth will he beat her at Mooney Valley ?

I think Sunline will win easily, but if she does happen to get run down it will be right on the line and she will run second.

Don't look too much into Mark Read's opinion either. I have heard a lot of stories about respected bookmakers giving false opinions to benefit themselves. They tip horses that they think can't win in order to get people to back them. This is not uncommon.

Sunline is a champion. Never write off a champion, especially a champion in form.

mr magic
26th October 2001, 01:43 PM
Mark Read said he would lay Sunline for a million at 2/1. Well, he must have got hammered because she is into 7/4 with him now. Universal Prince is a drifter as is Northerly.

michael
26th October 2001, 09:50 PM
I think I've found the key to making millions in the racing industry.

A/ Take out a bookmakers licence.

B/ Frame a market to around 121%.

C/ Make outrageous statements to obtain publicity.

D/ Pick a horse that is around a 7/1-10/1 chance in real terms. Price it at 3/1-4/1.*

*Please note this works best when the horse is an overseas horse making it difficult for the punter to do reasonable form assessment.

E/ If you significantly tighten a horses odds ie around 10%. Make little to no changes in percentage terms elsewhere. **

** If you are really good you will shuffle a few prices up and down and hope the punters miss it in all the b*llsh*t flying around.

F/ Tell the media your an "expert".

G/ Wait for the mugs to come along and bet.

Sure fire system to make millions. The one draw back could be if punters got smart and refused to bet. But I don't think you should have any real worries.

Michael
Good luck and Good Punting

brisvegas
27th October 2001, 09:56 AM
the prince will be the value of the 4 runners in plate and he gets my money in an even 4 way battle... the prince will settle of the pace but will only have to come around a few horses to pip em on the line. this os the key a small field. go the prince ..... brisvegas

Damon
28th October 2001, 09:26 AM
Well ??I think Mark Read has been vindicated and at least he's not afraid to have an opinion. He is good for racing. What do you all say now after the event?