PDA

View Full Version : who can beat the prince ?

ahhhmike
25th October 2001, 12:42 AM
I might be a bit biased, but who can beat UNIVERSAL PRINCE in the Melbourne Cup. Who can provide some suggestions.

25th October 2001, 01:16 AM
Hi, I to have warmed to Universal Prince for the Melbourne cup. But not as a dead set cert. 2 others have the goods, Native Jazz a close 2nd over 3200 in the Adelaide cup racing very well this preperation. And Ethereal has proven her worth over 2400 with petrol still in the tank, if there's 800mts worth then she could score.

Thats my trifecta at present.

NOTE. Seriously consider a last start winner for the cup.

good punting Horse cents

dizzle
25th October 2001, 11:52 AM
I liked the way Hill of Grace worked home in the Caul. Cup. She looked as though she would keep going for plenty more furlings. Check her out in the Mackinnon to see if she is running well, maybe a chance at pretty good odds in the Cup.

Dave
25th October 2001, 05:48 PM
I agree. Universal Prince is just so much better than that Cup field it isn't funny. And the way he won the Derby as a 3 year old shows that he'll eat up the 3200m.

I'll be prepared to take anything as short as 2/1 on the day because I think he deserves to be that short.

mr magic
25th October 2001, 09:17 PM
2/1 Uni Prince in the Melbourne Cup! Come off it.You can't ignore history ... the last Derby winner to win the Cup at 4 was Phar Lap 71 years ago! Universal Prince has a strike rate of about 20-25% and you'll take 2's in a field of 24? Will he run 2 miles? Will Sheehan butcher him? Will he be a Tie The Knot style tragedy beaten?
Yeah he might win but he's a 4-5/1 chance at best.
The Cup winner may be lurking around running 6ths and 7ths at the moment ready to peak over 3200 in 12 days time.
E.G. Who picked Brew before the MV Cup last year as the Melb Cup winner?
For mine, grab the 50's Caitano before Saturday. If he does nothing it is all that's expected and his price won't change. If he gets home they'll cut him to 12/1. The European horses don't go as bad as some think. For example Central Park beaten a lip, Travelmate unlucky 4th, Persian Punch 3rd, Taufan's Melody 4th, Yorkshire 5th, Harbour Dues 4th, Vintage Crop (3 runs for win,3rd, unlucky 7th),Quick Ransom 4th. None of the aforementioned had better Group One form than Caitano.
Incidentally, he's not one of those 4000m plodders either; good mile and a half form and $3million+ prizemoney.

Dave
25th October 2001, 11:19 PM
Well $3.00 will be good enough for me.

It's one of the most sub-standard Cup fields I've seen, barring the Prince.

Etherial was on his last legs in the Caulfield Cup, and Sky Heights has proven in the past that he can't run two miles.

The run of Hill of Grace was the only other meritable performance I saw in that race (from a Melbourne Cup point of view), and she also has flopped in big staying races before.

And I think it's too bigger task for a European to win unless it is something special. Fair enough they have been placed in past, and run 4th's and 5th's, but they've all been plodders who just didn't have the class to win.

To be honest, I was surprised that Universal Prince didn't start in the Caulfield Cup in preferance to the Cox Plate. He would have won comfortably in my opinion.

He probably won't start as short as 2/1, maybe even 7/2, but he is definitely the biggest standout I've seen in the Cup since Might And Power.

If a European wins the Cup I'll never bet again.

2nd November 2001, 06:47 PM
All intersting points but to take a short price about a horse that races like he does is probably a silly bet. As pointed out in another post in the forum Universal Prince would either have to come around every runner or be blessed and get a run through the 24 horse field. Anyone remember Veandercross and how he looked like the perfect Cup horse and he was beaten ( let me say I was NOT one of the Veandercross followers and nor am I a Prince follower ),and he raced similiar.
I do find it interesting though to see how well the international horses have done over the years as they seem to be sending better credentialed horses each year so Magic might be onto something especially as far as value is concerened. For me I am praying for Hill of Grace as I backed her at 125/1 on NetTAB and have a Etheral double running into her but I stress I am only praying and I don't really think she can win.
I hope that the Prince does for all of his followers but it will have to be a huge effort.