PDA

View Full Version : another way to delete an unwanted programme

partypooper
2nd September 2011, 02:02 AM
Can anyone help me get rid of this: I have some old stuff left on the comp from an old scanner, its called Omnipage SE40 Scan soft 1316.

I've tried to delete from "add /remove programmes etc" but comes back "fatal error" cannot remove? any ideas, its 140MG I could do with.

moeee
2nd September 2011, 09:25 AM
I would try searching for files containing the word omnipage or words similar.
You could try omni or se40 or 1316.

If it finds something , open the folder and if it is obvious that folder contains the files to run your unwanted program , dump it to the recycle bin.

It won't be the same as uninstalling , but it should release your 100 Megabytes to you.

Just beware if you dump stuff and then empty your recycle bin, then it is GOOOOONE!!!.

Shaun
2nd September 2011, 10:38 AM
Also try starting the computer in safe mode by pressing F8 at boot up you will have to keep tapping the key until the screen comes up with the option to start in safe mode, then try to uninstall the correct way first.

If that does not work try the method Moeee said but in safe mode.

partypooper
2nd September 2011, 04:26 PM
Seems I didn't fix this comp as well as I thought as I can't get it to start in SAFE MODE, I get as far as the prompt and hit enter but then hit a wall with lots about "partition" etc?

moeee
2nd September 2011, 04:56 PM
So what size is the hard disk(s) in the unit?
And what is it about the particular Computer that you don't want to throw it away?

Sometimes things simply need let die a natural death.
Just let it go - after a few days the pain is gone.

jazzy
2nd September 2011, 05:15 PM
It should be under C:\Program Files

If you look for Omnipage or perhaps Nuance you should find it. There might be an uninstall programme in the folder. if not just delete the folder (as long as you are 100% sure you've got the right one)

Then you might wanna run registry mechanic or similar to get rid of the unwanted registry entries. (Never understood the need for a central registry myself - much prefer the unix way of doing it with individual config files)

Disclaimer - If you f*ck it up - it's not my fault :)

Shaun
2nd September 2011, 06:12 PM
I just bought this system the other day $1500 delivered.

Intel Core i7 2600K
Intel H67 Chipset Motherboard
8GB (2 x 4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 PC-10600 (1333MHz)
nVidia GeForce GTS450 1GB / 1024MB Video Card
60GB Solid State Drive
1000GB SATA III 7200rpm HDD
27" Full-HD LED Monitor
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit DVD
Keyboard & Mouse
Internal Card Reader
Case

moeee
2nd September 2011, 06:23 PM
Obviously you are a much more successful Punter than you had us believe

partypooper
2nd September 2011, 11:17 PM
Moeee, I've got 5 computers all sick and all a click or two (if you know where to click) to being perfect. In the past the solution was always to just buy another 1, as the cost of repair (and the inevitable ripoff) made it not worth risking.

Shaun, gawd, re: your new comp, I'm biting my lower lip in envy! funny though I paid more than $3,500 for my first comp which was a step up from a COMMODORE 64 hahahah!

I was looking at this MSI in the BIGW catalogue, but I think not quite right i.e.

Ultra slim 18.5" all in 1 PC
Win7, premium 64 bit
Itel Atom D525 "DUEL CORE PROCESSOR"
1.86GHz.........................(this is the bit I'm not sure about?)
Memory DDR3 2GB
320GB HD (V- 500GB?)
4 USB ports
Ultra Slim (no tower, very tempting)
DVD Burner,

what do you think?

$498, inc wired keypad and Mouse (logitech)

Shaun
3rd September 2011, 12:27 AM
It is basically a netbook built in to a monitor by the sounds of it or similar, very under powered unless you are just interested in internet and email, to be honest if you want a new pc you are better going to a good pc shop, if you have a budget they can setup a system to suit that will be way better than anything out there in the retail stores.

The PC i bought was on ebay but the seller is a legit pc builder in NSW with a proper address and all, i challenged anyone to to get the same specs i did for a cheaper price, would be very hard.

If you are interested they do have cheaper systems, i did some upgrades on the regular offer to what i wanted but even the stock systems are very good.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/pcmeal/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

They have some older systems with dual core processors but i prefer the newer systems but still at a good price, if you have keyboad mouse and screen you would only need to add the cost or windows 7 to the prices unless you wanted upgrades, you would need 64bit to take advantage of the 4gig + memory as 32 bit will only see about 3 gig.

aussielongboat
4th September 2011, 08:25 AM
yes i agree.
i have bought a few computers from PC meal.
no problems at all.

aussielongboat
4th September 2011, 08:27 AM
Can anyone help me get rid of this: I have some old stuff left on the comp from an old scanner, its called Omnipage SE40 Scan soft 1316.

I've tried to delete from "add /remove programmes etc" but comes back "fatal error" cannot remove? any ideas, its 140MG I could do with.

i would start from scratch and rebuild windows back into the computer.
scan soft always seems difficult to remove

partypooper
5th September 2011, 01:35 AM
Aussie, yeah tried that mate no good, guess its a case of yet another new comp!

lomaca
6th September 2011, 09:59 PM
Aussie, yeah tried that mate no good, guess its a case of yet another new comp!Sorry party, I can't understand that?
IT is my business and I don't give advice on a problem unseen, but nuking the hard drive and reinstalling the Operating system WILL get rid of all and sundry!

Hardly a need for a new comp unless of course you are looking for a reason?
Good luck with it.

partypooper
8th September 2011, 07:28 PM
Lomaca, yes you're right I only RE-loaded it, so I guess that doesn't work without cleaning the the thing back to scratch first eh?

I think it was yourself that posted the procedure how to do that but I mislaid it and couldn't find it again here.

Chrome Prince
18th September 2011, 04:29 AM
I just bought this system the other day $1500 delivered.

Intel Core i7 2600K
Intel H67 Chipset Motherboard
8GB (2 x 4GB) Dual Channel DDR3 PC-10600 (1333MHz)
nVidia GeForce GTS450 1GB / 1024MB Video Card
60GB Solid State Drive
1000GB SATA III 7200rpm HDD
27" Full-HD LED Monitor
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit DVD
Keyboard & Mouse
Internal Card Reader
Case

That is a good price Shaun.
I just did one for a client for $1200.00 without the SSD or monitor but a 2TB SATA hard drive.

Chrome Prince
18th September 2011, 04:32 AM
Party,

Go into Program Files and delete the folder scansoft.
Reboot.
Run CCleaner to remove the orphaned registry entries and voila.

Shaun
18th September 2011, 12:06 PM
If you don't mind buying off the internet and have ebay they are some of the best prices i have seen, as i said they are a regular business in NSW and use ebay for internet sales.

This is the second system i have bought from them.

partypooper
18th September 2011, 03:32 PM
Chrome, no folder there? tried the remove process from add or remove thingo goes through the uninstall process but eventually hits a wall with an error message 1316, then it pops up FATAL ERROR during installation ,it appears that I may need the disk to uninstall it gone a long time ago.

Chrome Prince
20th September 2011, 05:16 PM
Party,

Sounds like a problem with your Windows Installer for that particular progam.
If there's no scansoft folder, is there ans Omnipage folder?
Try removing that and following the previous instructions.

partypooper
22nd September 2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks Chrome 'n'all for trying to help but it looks as though I'll have to wipe the comp and start again, don't suppose you have the link to the process of how to do that do you?