PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help Please

Try Try Again
30th September 2011, 01:43 PM
Not being very competent on the computer, especially with trying to set information up on Excel.

I have access to some ratings information in a CSV version, how do I separate to put in columns in Excel?

Is it possible?

Thanks for any help

moeee
30th September 2011, 03:54 PM
I figure that if you have started Excel , then it shouldn't be too difficult.

Just click on FILE in the top left corner.
Drop down Menu appears and you click on OPEN.
It will ask you whereabouts the File is located.
Then there will be 3 steps you need to follow - Excel will guide you through them.

Try Try Again
30th September 2011, 04:44 PM
Hi Moeee,

Thanks for the reply but I must be a bit thick.

I have access to some ratings from a website which I want to copy into an Excel file and put each information into separate columns e.g Date, Race Number, Horse Name, Rating etc.

The Ratings are available in a CSV Version.

If I copy straight to an Excel Spreadsheet all the information is in the first column A. How do I separate the different information into their proper columns?

Shaun
30th September 2011, 04:45 PM
You need to find text to colu,ms, what version excel is it.

Shaun
30th September 2011, 04:46 PM
Sorry that's import with text to columns

Try Try Again
30th September 2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks Shaun,

Exactly what I was wanting to do!

moeee
30th September 2011, 05:39 PM
Is there any danger you could post the csv file as an attachement in this thread?

Shaun
30th September 2011, 07:27 PM
Just go to Data then import text, select your file then import choose delimited then choose the option you need it should work that way.

If you are not happy with result try again and choose different options until you are happy with result.

lomaca
30th September 2011, 09:38 PM
Not being very competent on the computer, especially with trying to set information up on Excel.

I have access to some ratings information in a CSV version, how do I separate to put in columns in Excel?

Is it possible?

Thanks for any helpAre you sure it's in 'csv' format?
If so all you have to do is double click or right click and select "open".

csv IS an Excel formatted text file.

Cheers