PDA

View Full Version : Computers, easy when you know - no doubt

partypooper
11th December 2011, 12:54 PM
Can anyone tell me where is the "wireless switch" on the comp?

lomaca
11th December 2011, 02:03 PM
Can anyone tell me where is the "wireless switch" on the comp?That is a bit too cryptic Party, definitely need more info please.

partypooper
11th December 2011, 02:39 PM
Lomaca, trying to set up a new pocket wi-fi, keeps going round in circles and at one point suggests "ensure that wireless switch is on"

If I plug the thing into the comp though, I have access? make any sense?

lomaca
11th December 2011, 02:58 PM
Lomaca, trying to set up a new pocket wi-fi, keeps going round in circles and at one point suggests "ensure that wireless switch is on"

If I plug the thing into the comp though, I have access? make any sense?Sure does, it's asking you to turn on your wireless router-switch or if it's on let have access to it.

Do you have a wireless router or one that only connects to your computer via cable??

Router that would be your modem connecting to your ISP!

lomaca
11th December 2011, 03:05 PM
Sure does, it's asking you to turn on your wireless router-switch or if it's on let have access to it.

Do you have a wireless router or one that only connects to your computer via cable??

Router that would be your modem connecting to your ISP!PS easy to check, does it have a little antenna sticking out?

partypooper
11th December 2011, 04:04 PM
Well, its either or, at the mo. it's connected via a cable as that's the only way I can be on the net,............. if I unplug it, that's it! disconnected? but there is no visible antenna on it

and yes that has a switch on the side which is ON.

lomaca
11th December 2011, 04:18 PM
Well, its either or, at the mo. it's connected via a cable as that's the only way I can be on the net,............. if I unplug it, that's it! disconnected? but there is no visible antenna on it

and yes that has a switch on the side which is ON. I that case you do not have a "wireless switch".
The "switch" in this case means a device, a router or also called a switch, not the kind you have in mind.

If your new thingo works connected to the computer and you are happy with it, don't worry about it.

If you do want it to work wireless, like in an other room not physically connected to the computer, then you will have to buy either a wireless modem-router (switch) to replace the existing wired one, cheaper, or a wireless router (switch) that you connect between your existing modem and computer.

Good luck with it

partypooper
11th December 2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks Lomaca, yes it works fine when I use as a "stick" so to speak. also My kids pick it up on the 3ds thingo, and my missus on the mobile, so it's puzzling,
anyway thanks for your help.

lomaca
11th December 2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks Lomaca, yes it works fine when I use as a "stick" so to speak. also My kids pick it up on the 3ds thingo, and my missus on the mobile, so it's puzzling,
anyway thanks for your help.No it's not. NOW I know what you got.
It is supposed to work like that.

All is as it should be.
Amen

partypooper
13th December 2011, 02:46 AM
No it's not. NOW I know what you got.
It is supposed to work like that.

All is as it should be.
Amen

Gee, Lomaca, I really appreciate your help, BUT it's not quite AMEN, as believe it or not I located the "SWITCH" that doesn't exist on my comp. (sorry but it does?)

and when switched on picks up wireless transmit-ions, BUT I need to type in the sequence code and BOBS your uncle we have wireless transmit ion!!!

There you go!

lomaca
13th December 2011, 01:31 PM
Gee, Lomaca, I really appreciate your help, BUT it's not quite AMEN, as believe it or not I located the "SWITCH" that doesn't exist on my comp. (sorry but it does?)

and when switched on picks up wireless transmit-ions, BUT I need to type in the sequence code and BOBS your uncle we have wireless transmit ion!!!

There you go!I'm happy for you John, but I would not be human if I didn't have an excuse for not quite solving your problem

Firstly I broke my own cardinal rule that under no circumstances should I give a computer related advise unless I'm sighting the machine myself.

Secondly it was a situation like the one where Coolhand Luke used to say, "we have a failure to communicate".

While all you needed was to turn on the wi-fi functionality of your machine, your use of the word "wireless switch" led me on the wrong path completely.

In computer parlance, in my circles, the term "switch", unless prefaced like "power", denotes an external device that enables you to connect two or more computers together to share a common source like the Internet or a printer, this can be wired or wireless.

Whatever, your problem solved and my lesson learned, (again!)

Happy computing.
Cheers

Shaun
13th December 2011, 03:26 PM
This is the main thing i have learned about trouble shooting, start with the simple things and work towards the harder ones, most times you will get it in the first few tries, a lot of techies will go straight to the hard thing first and make the problem harder to solve.

partypooper
14th December 2011, 02:11 AM
Lomaca. you got it in one as far as failure to communicate, easy for me when it comes to computers.

I just thought that I'd let you know that the fault was all mine, but especially I don't want to close the door to your help n future!!!

moeee
14th December 2011, 09:40 AM
We have only limited amount of control of determining our future , but ************ all of controlling the future of others.

I have found many times in Life , and on this Forum ,You can choose your friends , but you cannot choose your enemies.

Well done in solving your problem that appeared overwhelming at the time PartyPooper.