PDA

View Full Version : Holidays - Crikey!

Chrome Prince
15th January 2012, 11:36 PM
Strikes me that people are totally switched off and wonder why they aren't doing so well.
It's now January 15th and everywhere is like a ghost town, every business, every site, every shop, every road.
Is it me, or are people just taking longer and longer for holidays when they are struggling.
In the USA, people were back at work on Jan 2nd and some even earlier.
How can people afford such luxury?

Shaun
16th January 2012, 01:28 AM
Maybe because unlike the USA our average adult wage is higher than $10 an hour.

darkydog2002
16th January 2012, 09:30 AM
There would hardly be a person in this country struggling Chrome.

moeee
16th January 2012, 09:33 AM
Or it may be because it is Winter in USA and summer vacation is in JULY.

Unfortunately for whatever reason, we choose not to stop and smell the roses.
Possibly this trait is brought on by the stress and anxiety that gambling brings.

moeee
16th January 2012, 09:37 AM
There would hardly be a person in this country struggling Chrome.

Unless your definition of struggling refers to how the 3rd world countries live , then perhaps that is a little harsh.
Many people trying to buy a home would surely qualify as struggling.

Chrome Prince
16th January 2012, 02:17 PM
For what it's worth, that minimum wage is absolute minimum, most americans are on a par with us after you convert the dollar and take into account how much less they pay for food and goods and services.
You can fill a trolley with food including meat for under $100 there.

According to the average aussie, they are struggling even with two income families. As pointed out, we are not starving and living in poor conditions, but most aussies are one wage away from bankruptcy.
Financial services were astounded when they actually surveyed people, don't buy government figures ever, they are distorted to paint a rosy picture.
The survey found that most aussies are spending less, struggling to pay the mortgage, are in credit card debt up to their eyeballs and are one pay away from bankruptcy.

Of course, there are the filthy rich who are getting richer and the poorest of the poor who can't get any poorer. But the average aussie is complaining about making ends meet and taking three weeks to a month off to avoid reality.

The point I'm making is that I realise that everyone needs a ************ good holiday to de stress, but nearly a month is not good work ethic.
I can't think of another country anywhere in the world which takes more time off.

If one can afford it fine, but some people are making things worse for themselves as the stress is elevated when they get back to work and have to face all that credit card debt.

For my own health, I need time off regularly, but make sure it is always off peak and in short duration.
I simply couldn't afford to take a month off plus Public Holidays, but that's just me.

jose
18th January 2012, 08:39 PM
Germany has more annual leave than us, and their economy is one of the strongest in the world.

AngryPixie
20th January 2012, 04:44 PM
I hear from Bill Shorten on the radio this morning that Australians work more hours per annum than most other developed countries.

Less work, more life is a good thing.

darkydog2002
20th January 2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah.And the stupid non union members are doing it for nothing.
I never thought Australians were over endowed with brains but that is ridiculous,
Cheers
darky

ps I,m Australian but doesnt alter the fact.

moeee
20th January 2012, 05:13 PM
its not fair to class non union workers as stupid.
And also , New Zealand people aren't Australians , even though they spend most of their life in this country.

Chrome Prince
20th January 2012, 08:05 PM
I hear from Bill Shorten on the radio this morning that Australians work more hours per annum than most other developed countries.

Complete Political spin from Shorten.
Aussies don't know they're even working until they go to the States.
You've got to be near death to have a sick day and about a tenth the public holidays, plus they work you very hard when you're at work.
Even two weeks holidays is unheard of unless you're a teacher or retired.

That's why they make so much of getting home for the holidays, thanksgiving etc.

UselessBettor
20th January 2012, 08:19 PM
Most American states have 15 public holidays or more.
In NSW we only get 8 public holidays this year.

Americans get between 2 and 4 weeks depending on the employer.

So on average they get as much, if not more, time off as we do in Australia.

Its just that its not legally entitled to them and they don't get to choose a lot of those days as they are public holidays.

UselessBettor
20th January 2012, 08:23 PM
Mind you I wouldn't want to live in America. Its a nightmare if you have ever travelled there and gone "off" the tourist strips.

Their Medical facilities are great ... if you have money otherwise you lay there and die in the waiting room. I know this from witnessing it in person.

The streets in some neighbourhoods in the cities are no go zones and you need to be careful. You wouldn't want to venture down them at night in a tank.

In general there are as good medical facilities here and everyone has access to them and our neighbourhoods are better overall in the cities. yes we have bad areas in or cities but compared to the US cities I regard our cities as very safe.

Chrome Prince
21st January 2012, 12:18 AM
Afraid I have to disagree with the holiday sentiments.
Most of my family live in the States.
My sister has been working there in various office jobs for the last 25 years.
She's been with 4 different employers over that time.

She works twice as much as her sister in insurance does here.
She cannot get more than two weeks off every year.
It was upped to three weeks total recently, as they generally go with an extra day holidays for service.
Taken all this time for her to get just this allowance.
She's worked in data entry, real eastate, insurance and finally legal area.

But you're right about the other stuff.
If you don't have HMO cover, you can basically die on the floor of a hospital waiting, or more recently, die in the gutter after being thrown out by security.

AngryPixie
21st January 2012, 10:45 AM
Then thank goodness we live in a country where employers and government recognise the importance of the work/life balance. My employer allows staff to trade hours for annual leave so instead of working a 48/52 year (48 working and 4 annual leave), I could work a 46/52 or even a 44/52 year, giving more annual leave to enable me to do the things I enjoy with the people that matter. Marvellous. :D