PDA

View Full Version : Darwin allsports

Mark
24th July 2001, 07:27 PM
Has anybody joined Mark Read's "Darwin Allsports" through propun? I am interested to know if his "Field against the Favourite" offers value.

Mr. Logic
24th July 2001, 09:47 PM
Favourite vs field is a very clever idea of Reads. When they offer odds for the field they get to lay horses noone would normally back.
If you don't like the fav. and want to bet against it you would not normally place different size bets on every other runner in the field to beat it.
That is what you are effectively doing when you take field odds against the fav.
However, that does not mean the bet is no value. With truly false favourites field odds are often very good value.

michael
24th July 2001, 09:51 PM
Sure does. You can make a fortune. If you use your brains at present time thanks to Propun and DAS.

Holley
26th July 2001, 12:18 AM
Hi all,
just on the topic of field vs favs, does D.A.S offer this service on every metropolitan race?
Do they cover country meetings too?
Cheers

Dude
4th July 2002, 10:39 AM
Mark,
I asked the question too.

See Posting headed "Betting Against the Fav", posted earlier in the Forum for some more details...

I, generally only bet through the internet, DAS/IAS only post the odds for very few races on the net which was a little dissapointing to me.

But, I tried it yesterday and made money on it.

Dude

michaelg
4th July 2002, 12:11 PM
Hi, Dude.
I was told by one of Mark Read's operators that Field vs Fav only operates on-line with certain races where the favourite has to be under a certain price. I can't remember the exact price, but one would've hoped that all this would have been explained on their website.

Mark
4th July 2002, 12:11 PM
I asked this question almost a year ago, so a little surprised to be getting replies now. I have never used it as I like to back everything else each/way, get a return if the fav wins, profit if it runs a place & clean up if it's out of a place. Works for me but we're all different.

thekey
4th July 2002, 03:33 PM
This is taken from the DAS rules: (hope they don't mind)

"Favourite v The Field

Where you used to have to pick the winner to make your money, you now have the opportunity to LAY the favourite in a race by backing the field to beat it. To obtain a quote, simply request your operator for a market on the FIELD versus the FAVOURITE. Upon this demand, IASbet.com will quote you a price for the favourite and a price for the field against the favourite. This market will generally be set between 106 - 108%, while the total race market is more likely to be over 120%, so backing against the favourite puts you in a position of far greater value than backing every other runner at the best odds on offer. For Example "Favourite 6/4, Field 1/2" (or "Favourite $2.50, Field $1.50") means that you can either back the favourite at 6/4 ($2.50) or back any horse to beat the favourite at 1/2 ($1.50). In effect you are laying the favourite at 2/1 ($3). The only proviso is that if you call upon us to quote a market - you must have a bet, on or against the favourite. "

The 106-108% part seems pretty reasonble as you hardly ever see this sort of percentage bet over a full field or even in sports betting.

Just a thought, but if you're on the field @ 1.50 (66.7%) and the fav blows to more than 3.00 (33.3%) then you can wade in and back the fav and win no matter what.

I wonder if this ever happens?