PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Laws Bookie Bonuses

Chrome Prince
2nd August 2012, 04:07 PM
It seems it is part of the interactive gambling act that Victoria (and South Australia) has banned anyone receiving a bookies bonus. They say it is in the best interests of gamblers not to be enticed by bookmakers.

My issue is this:

I have received bonuses from Betfair, are they not breaking the law?
It is not against the law to receive a bonus, it is against the law for them to offer me one!

In this nanny state where they know better than myself what is good for me, why don't they ban Happy Hour bonuses at pubs?
Why don't they ban upsizing of fast food meals bonus deals?
Are they also not encouraging those to break the law when they offer a payment rebate on outstanding parking fines or a part amnesty?
What about the gun amnesty, where illegal possession of a firearm charges were waived and no information on offenders recorded?

Nothing makes sense, you are given a bookmaker bonus, you have joined which signifies intent to use that bookmaker anyway, therefore a bonus is going to help people not entice them to gamble. They are already enticed!

Didn't Tas Tote break these laws by offering rebates to you know who?

The world isn't half settled!

The Ocho
2nd August 2012, 10:02 PM
I'm just sick of the nanny state this country has become. JUST LEAVE US ALONE TO DECIDE WHAT'S BEST FOR US!!!

norisk
3rd August 2012, 10:39 AM
Also love that it's illegal for me to place my Lotto online here in Victoria...seriously couldn't believe it when I moved here.

Shaun
3rd August 2012, 01:07 PM
Gees that sux, we have a great online service here, i use it when i forget to put the lotto on plus it records it so no chance of losing that $20,000.000 ticket.

norisk
3rd August 2012, 01:44 PM
It's insane Shaun, I've still got my Tatts online account from my NT/QLD days but am a bit suspect about using it as I might win the big one & forfeit it if they found out I purchased the ticket online whilst a resident of Victoria - it's nuts I tell ya!