PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer

ra sun
10th April 2003, 05:03 PM
Just wondering on everyones thoughts and i know i could cop it here but it seems Hydrometer may be a bit over rated. the derby last year was a big run but it hasnt done a great deal since. just wanting opinions i could may well end up changing my mind

Rogan Josh
10th April 2003, 05:49 PM
I would not be giving up on Hydrometer just yet ra sun. Thought his run on Saturday was full of merit, considering the jock (in my view) went a little earlier then he should have. :wink:

osulldj
11th April 2003, 09:01 AM
Hi Ra Sun,

I think you're being a bit harsh on Hydrometer. I know you were talking about his form since the Derby, but his overall record so far includes:

* A 0.2L in the Norman Robinson behind the Platinum Scissors (and he is good...we will all see that)
* A 0.1L 2nd in the Derby to the touted next superstart of Aust. racing Helenus

Then more in particular to your point...this prep:

* 2nd to Thorn Park over an unsuitable distance in the Hobartville after being wide and knocked from pillar to post. He beat Helenus home that day.

* He finished 3rd in the Cant Guineas, again beating Helenus home.

* Then of course he was probably not ridden the best but still wouldn't have won when beaten in the Rosehill Guineas won by Helenus.

Don't get me wrong, he isn't a superstar but he has never been touted as one. I think he's rated at his right level, a good 3YO competitive with the best of his age.

ra sun
14th April 2003, 09:08 PM
yeh true i was more talking about the prices hes ben paying of late, hes competitive but usually right in the betting, wondering if every race he starts in hes unders and this may be the d oliver factor. i watched hydrometer race at strathalbyn last year and he has definately come along way and you watch, he will probably win a big race now just for me