PDA

View Full Version : My Tips for Oaks Day

mac
7th November 2001, 08:15 PM
Derby Day was great, Cup Day a disaster!
So he goes for the tie-breaker Oaks Day...

Race 4
Born Priceless
Hello Boys
Betula
Dolce Veloce (outsider)

Race 6
Quays
Magical Miss
Li Lo Lill
Gold Lottey
Palidamah (outsider)

Race 8
Falvelon
North Boy
Belle Du Jour
Fair Embrace (outsider)

Great Luck to all...

INTERGAZE
8th November 2001, 06:22 AM
time to get desperate..........
race 4-#3the big chill
race 5#1the expat,roughie-16 pat & pay
race 7 #2prince of war
race 8 #1 fair embrace to beat #8 belle de jour

happy punting....

mac
8th November 2001, 07:22 PM
Well the past month has taught me one thing about the process I use to pick horses, kind of obvious really...

Stick to Group Races. They have the highest quality, consistant horses with known form. When I go back over the past 2 months since I've been doing this, sticking to Group Races only gives me much better results.

Oh well, betting on the horses is more of a journey than a destination :wink:

Mr. Logic
8th November 2001, 07:54 PM
When you have a lot of high quality, consistent horses all racing against each other which many of the Group races are I believe you don't have a very good betting races.
Some of the races at Flemington there was a length or two between 10 horses at the finish.

mac
8th November 2001, 08:46 PM
You are right (obviously!). The problem I've found is that as you drop in quality you also take a hit in your ability to correctly predict the outcome.

The very 1st race I tried to predict was this year's manikato stakes. There was a ton of money for Sunline, but on my figures it Piavonic had the form without the condition problem Sunline had as it was coming back from a spell. My horses for that race were Piavonic, Sunline, Miss Power Bird & Falvelon. As we know they finished Piavonic, Sunline, Falvelon with Piavonic paying $32 for the win!

So even though the higher quality races are easier to predict, mug punters still back 'name' horses no matter what. What I'm trying to do is take into consideration facts that most don't. Then, IF you can get a value bet on your prediction off you go.

I would say however, the better your method of picking winners, the better your odds at the lower quality races AND the better chance of a value bet - which is exactly your point. My problem is my method seems to trip up on lower quality races.

For those of you who haven't fallen asleep yet reading this, there are two areas where I think real expertise is required (and it's what I currently lack).

First, being able to rate one race against another, for example, does finishing 4 lengths behind the winner in a G3 WFA race in Melbourne equate to winning a Rs1mw for 3YO's in Sydney? Once you can rate races you can rate the performance of horses in those races against horses in other races.

Second, when you do frame your book and find some value betting, do you bet straight out or an exotic and if an exotic which do you choose?

Anyway enough of my problems,

cheers,

mac