PDA

View Full Version : Computer help

partypooper
6th September 2012, 07:31 PM
can anyone help with this please, I have a cordless keyboard and mouse working with an old desktop, suddenly I get a black page saying keyboard error or no keyboard present,........... changed the batteries, no diff. swapped the keyboard to my laptop....... works perfectly,.......back to desktop, same story any ideas?

Lord Greystoke
6th September 2012, 09:39 PM
get out the 22?

LG

moeee
6th September 2012, 09:50 PM
Try the desktop with a corded keyboard and mouse.
I have no idea what the significance of the result means , but worth a try.

partypooper
7th September 2012, 01:25 AM
M yes worth a try, lg SOUNDS LIKE YOU THINK ITS CARKED IT?

Merriguy
7th September 2012, 07:44 AM
My little experience --- the cordlesss keyboard worked for a time, then played up. Eventually decided to 'dish' it, connected a cheap 'corded' one, no trouble since!!

Chrome Prince
7th September 2012, 12:05 PM
The black screen is the boot menu showing an error.
The first thing to try is to put the USB into the rear USB ports and not the front.
The computer boots from rear USB first.
The rear USB ports are usually faster than the front USB as well (more power on older computers).

CAUTION:
Have these USB devices worked on this computer before?

You may have to go into the bios and configure it for USB keyboard recognition.
If you muck it up you can mess the whole thing.
Please give me the computer model and I can walk you through it.

EDIT I see it just started happening, so either you plugged the USB device into a dead or slow port, or you lost power and it cleared the memory.
Did you unplug it from the mains, have a power outage, or power surge?
The little battery that retains the settings when power is not available is probably carked.

Shaun
7th September 2012, 12:37 PM
Gees party you would be better buying an abacus at least it won't stuff up on you.

moeee
7th September 2012, 12:56 PM
Gees party you would be better buying an abacus at least it won't stuff up on you.
Some parts of the world still live this way.
Are they backward?
I wonder sometimes if progress actually is.

And then I wake up and continue My Lifes irrelevance anyway.

Had a Power Outage the other day.
Yes I fretted and strutted about in the dark.
Then I accepted it and lit a candle and grabbed a torch and read a magazine.

Mancunian
7th September 2012, 02:54 PM
And I still listen to the races on AM on my tranny
Mancunian

moeee
7th September 2012, 03:19 PM
And I still listen to the races on AM on my tranny
Mancunian
when you get the chance , do you watch them on Television?
- and are you aware whether the racing station is available on Digital radio?
- My am radio is very interference , especially at night

Mancunian
7th September 2012, 04:01 PM
generally only watch the big races on the TV.
I'm not sure where they are up to with Digital Radio (I haven't got that yet)
and yes my reception on AM is pretty scratchy too.
When I've been away from home, usually around Northern Victoria, I can pick up the races through relay over local FM stations.

Shaun
7th September 2012, 04:26 PM
I watch what ever they have on the bigpond site and the rest i listen the streams on the pc.

partypooper
7th September 2012, 05:53 PM
Chrome, as you know my computer knowledge is very lacking, now I'm not worried about this old thing as such (it's ancient) but it's just that there is some stuff in there that I would like to retrieve b4 drop kicking it. I thought it was safe as I never used it for Internet at all for ages.

Not sure how it happened, just switched on and got that screen, anyway it's Intel R, Celeron R 2400 MHz processor is that what you need?

By the way tried plugging the cordless into the back and also tried plugging in a corded keyboard etc and same thing.

Just b4 the Keyboard warning it says:

Detecting Primary Master WDC WD400BB-00FJAQ
Detecting Primary Slave.........None
Detecting Secondary Master Asus CRW-5232AS
Detecting Secondary Slave None

Does that make any sense to you?

partypooper
11th September 2012, 03:28 PM
GPS Chrome

Chrome Prince
12th September 2012, 05:54 PM
Did you turn off the pc before putting in the corded keyboard, you may have ************ed the port otherwise as this creates a power surge.

partypooper
13th September 2012, 01:28 AM
Chrome, to b perfectly honest, I don't know, but I can say that there are 2 ports at the back and 2 ports at the front, none appear to be working. Is there anything I can do?

lomaca
13th September 2012, 09:37 AM
Chrome, to b perfectly honest, I don't know, but I can say that there are 2 ports at the back and 2 ports at the front, none appear to be working. Is there anything I can do?Just connect any USB device you may have into those ports.
If they work then the ports are OK.

partypooper
20th September 2012, 08:42 PM
All fixed, thanks to all who helped, especially Lomaca

Pete the punter
20th September 2012, 09:11 PM
I understand you have fixed the issue, but sometimes if computers are not switched of at the power point the USB can stop working, fix is to switch off the computer and pull out the power cable, leave it for around 5 minutes for the capacitors to discharge, then power up again

partypooper
20th September 2012, 11:52 PM
Pete, yes it appears that, that is it, as I am in the middle of renovations, (well hopefully more than the middle????) and the power has been switched off several times ....... so that could easily have been the problem; anyway, all is ok!

moeee
21st September 2012, 09:00 AM
So did the fault simply go away of its own eventually?

Chrome Prince
21st September 2012, 01:32 PM
I see it just started happening, so either you plugged the USB device into a dead or slow port, or you lost power and it cleared the memory.
Did you unplug it from the mains, have a power outage, or power surge?

Jeepers :(