PDA

View Full Version : Question for UB

Lord Greystoke
17th June 2013, 08:59 AM
Morning UB

Has to come to my attention that there are many ways to skin a cat in this game and the longer one sticks around, more workable systems seem to pop up to keep one busy. Sometimes from the most surprising of sources i.e. a bit like a bee flying from flower to flower... not the flower that counts but the pollen that flicks from the wings on the journey and helps to germinate new life(ideas?) along the way. And if my fading memory serves me correct, you have a plethora (portfolio?) of winning systems or ones that you track on a regular basis.

Question being...

How do you physically/mentally manage and monitor them, track their successes/failures and play the ones that continue to run hot.. assuming that this is what you are doing?

Also, how do you determine which ones to keep backing with hard earned, those to keep an eye on and which ones to put on the shelf??

With an ounce of luck, I am not barking up the wrong tree here or beckoning the wrong bumble bee!

Cheers LG

UselessBettor
17th June 2013, 04:19 PM
Morning UB

Has to come to my attention that there are many ways to skin a cat in this game and the longer one sticks around, more workable systems seem to pop up to keep one busy. Sometimes from the most surprising of sources i.e. a bit like a bee flying from flower to flower... not the flower that counts but the pollen that flicks from the wings on the journey and helps to germinate new life(ideas?) along the way. And if my fading memory serves me correct, you have a plethora (portfolio?) of winning systems or ones that you track on a regular basis.

Question being...

How do you physically/mentally manage and monitor them, track their successes/failures and play the ones that continue to run hot.. assuming that this is what you are doing?

Also, how do you determine which ones to keep backing with hard earned, those to keep an eye on and which ones to put on the shelf??

With an ounce of luck, I am not barking up the wrong tree here or beckoning the wrong bumble bee!

Cheers LG
LG,

Yeah I do have a heap of systems. I monitor over a few hundred each and every day. A lot came from this forum but not all. A lot are also home grown and adjustments I have made to existing systems.

All of my analysis is done automatically and stored in a database. I couldn't do it any other way. Each and every day I download the form, the neurals, don scott ratings, other ratings, etc and each night I download results and then check the systems.

As far as which ones to use I got my criteria from a few of those who are long gone from this forum but the best advise I have ever seen is consistency. I want a profit each and every month for a system. I'll take 1 or 2 losing months in a 12 month run but 2 months with a small loss would be my limit. If its not consistent I am not confident in it and I won't bet/lay it.

I currently run only a very few select systems from the hundreds I have. Of the systems collected approx 24% of them show a profit. Of those only a few are consistent.

Automation is the key ... learn how to code its the best thing you could ever do for your punting.

Lord Greystoke
17th June 2013, 06:52 PM
Interesting response UB. Would I be right in saying that you group the different types of systems to ease the daily load further?

Would be learn how to outsource the coding in my case.

Cheers LG

PS on a more general note, the son of one of the finest investors to ever grace the planet has a very simple process for knowing when to buy or when to fold; If the chart looks like a rhino's horn, sell. If you are staring at a jumper hanging sleeves first on a washing line, buy. Was thinking a similar approach could be used whilst monitoring the progress of each system but looks like you have a handle on what works, doesn't (and when)

Barny
17th June 2013, 07:42 PM
Wow LG? Ever met a rich TA person? Trouble with your theory is that you have to start trading at the extreme right hand side of the page and the outcome only becomes obvious when it turns into the extreme LHS of the page, only for the pattern to never ever repeat.

UselessBettor
17th June 2013, 07:55 PM
Wow LG? Ever met a rich TA person? Trouble with your theory is that you have to start trading at the extreme right hand side of the page and the outcome only becomes obvious when it turns into the extreme LHS of the page, only for the pattern to never ever repeat.
Barny I kind of agree with you. There is only 1 pattern I trust. Break it down into chunks of one month at a time. If you see a profit each and every month then I'm inclined to believe the next month more then likely will also show a profit.

The Ocho
17th June 2013, 09:48 PM
I'm trying my hand at binary options trading (play money, luckily) and it is so hard to figure out what's going to happen next. Sometimes if I just did the opposite to what I was thinking I would actually be a lot better off. Kind of like when George Costanza did the opposite of what he'd always done. Jerry "If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right."

Lord Greystoke
17th June 2013, 11:33 PM
Evening Barny and The Ocho, thanks for your contributions here.

UB, my previous comment regards what is already working for you was out of respect for someone who obviously has a steady hand on a stable of successful systems. Thanks for your input here.

Cheers LG

Chrome Prince
18th June 2013, 08:12 AM
If you see a profit each and every month then I'm inclined to believe the next month more then likely will also show a profit.

Bingo!