PDA

View Full Version : Who is still around and how are you doing?

evajb001
23rd April 2021, 01:21 PM
Hi All,

I've been checking the forums infrequently lately and as i'm sure many of you have noticed there isn't a whole lot of material being added - or not to the extent that there used to be.

Was just curious who is still around and how are your punting experiences going? A couple of the main people i've interacted within previously are Uselessbettor and Shaun, so i'm not sure if you lads are still around but anyone else is welcome to reply too.

I'm still just going day by day, week by week recording data and trialing things but still yet to find anything I can follow in a simple manner for horse racing. I have no doubt that understanding the data and the area's value are likely to exist have helped shape my betting to be more profitable but its still just from a recreational point of view. There's no system for me to follow yet that I can reliably follow knowing that in 3 months time there's a solid chance ill have some profit.

Which leads me to the other side of the coin, sport punting. Me and a mate have been following NBA prop bets for two full seasons now and made substantial profit from a units point of view. However there's no room to expand the outlay side of things because then you get limited or banned. So I continue to plod along with small stakes making a tidy profit each season as some side money.

For AFL I've finally read my second book since graduating from uni 10 years ago haha and its helped shape my models and approach to betting it. There's some prop betting as well with AFL that i'm trialing for the first time this season and finding success with but once again because its such a soft market its easier to find the profit, but hard to increase stakes without being banned or limited.

Finally there's NRL which I have next to no knowledge in myself, but my mate who does the NBA with has a model and follows the sport so he passes his picks through which I follow.

There's definitely some sports and soft underlying markets out there to make profit on, its just not as sustainable or life changing because you are limited as to how much you can increase staking or fly under the radar. Racing has been by far the most difficult for me to find something to follow consistently.

Anyhow thats turned into a long post. Anyone else got something to add?

theoldguy
24th April 2021, 10:11 AM
hi eva ..good post..seems a lot have dropped off here .i mean stop posting not the other "dropping off".but we still have the archives from day 1 ..makes good reading on winter nights ....good punting [but more important good health] to all today ..punting gods please put a wing on each foot on syd r4 no5 entente..i need a win to pay for my meds next week [only kidding] cheers TOG..

partypooper
25th April 2021, 02:21 AM
long, long, time since I posted here, but just to assure you that we ("old timers" still look in but don't comment, I'm sure that I don't need to explain why) ??

Mark
25th April 2021, 10:49 AM
Still here, still going.
Last year was huge, turnover up, profit up, and way back down this year.

I do have a question/request.
If anyone knows hot to program a bot to us with Betangel, email me.
I'm willing to pay or even share what I would like to do.
It involves UK racing which I just cannot stay up and work anymore.

punt mark at hot mail dot com

entropy
25th April 2021, 11:45 AM
Still here, still going.
Last year was huge, turnover up, profit up, and way back down this year.

I do have a question/request.
If anyone knows hot to program a bot to us with Betangel, email me.
I'm willing to pay or even share what I would like to do.
It involves UK racing which I just cannot stay up and work anymore.

punt mark at hot mail dot com

G'day Mark,

No experience with Bet Angel but use Marketfeeder Pro which is fairly straightforward to program and has a helpful user's Forum. The people behind the program provide quick feedback and advice in my experience.

Mark
25th April 2021, 12:43 PM
G'day Mark,

No experience with Bet Angel but use Marketfeeder Pro which is fairly straightforward to program and has a helpful user's Forum. The people behind the program provide quick feedback and advice in my experience.

Thanks mate. I had a look, no mention of SP which is what I need. Plus I am less than a dummy when it comes to programming. I know what I want to do, just need someone else to set it all up for me. I have one at the moment but it has its glitches and the person who did it for me has no idea why. I can't work that way.

entropy
26th April 2021, 01:56 AM
Thanks mate. I had a look, no mention of SP which is what I need. Plus I am less than a dummy when it comes to programming. I know what I want to do, just need someone else to set it all up for me. I have one at the moment but it has its glitches and the person who did it for me has no idea why. I can't work that way.

Marketfeeder is tailored for a large number of the Betfair markets. Likely to be more accurate than SP or are you saying you need to bet into an SP market?
Or are you deriving information from the SP prices?

entropy
26th April 2021, 02:29 AM
Hi All,

I've been checking the forums infrequently lately and as i'm sure many of you have noticed there isn't a whole lot of material being added - or not to the extent that there used to be.

Was just curious who is still around and how are your punting experiences going? A couple of the main people i've interacted within previously are Uselessbettor and Shaun, so i'm not sure if you lads are still around but anyone else is welcome to reply too.

I'm still just going day by day, week by week recording data and trialing things but still yet to find anything I can follow in a simple manner for horse racing. I have no doubt that understanding the data and the area's value are likely to exist have helped shape my betting to be more profitable but its still just from a recreational point of view. There's no system for me to follow yet that I can reliably follow knowing that in 3 months time there's a solid chance ill have some profit.

Which leads me to the other side of the coin, sport punting. Me and a mate have been following NBA prop bets for two full seasons now and made substantial profit from a units point of view. However there's no room to expand the outlay side of things because then you get limited or banned. So I continue to plod along with small stakes making a tidy profit each season as some side money.

For AFL I've finally read my second book since graduating from uni 10 years ago haha and its helped shape my models and approach to betting it. There's some prop betting as well with AFL that i'm trialing for the first time this season and finding success with but once again because its such a soft market its easier to find the profit, but hard to increase stakes without being banned or limited.

Finally there's NRL which I have next to no knowledge in myself, but my mate who does the NBA with has a model and follows the sport so he passes his picks through which I follow.

There's definitely some sports and soft underlying markets out there to make profit on, its just not as sustainable or life changing because you are limited as to how much you can increase staking or fly under the radar. Racing has been by far the most difficult for me to find something to follow consistently.

Good post evajb!

You raise issues most of us come to deal with.
The punt is getting tougher!

At the prompting of a friend I turned early last year to that other great punt, the stock market.

I have no background at all in share trading but enjoy collecting and absorbing data and analyzing it, developing algorithms, building models etc. Pleasantly shocked at the low commissions of about 1% compared to betting and started to divert more of the betting bank to the stockmarket. Sometimes only holding stocks for 20 minutes mostly for several days to several weeks. Aiming for small percentage on large turnover.
I'm still inexperienced but so far active share trading for me has been less time consuming than the punt and more profitable.

Mark
26th April 2021, 07:35 AM
Marketfeeder is tailored for a large number of the Betfair markets. Likely to be more accurate than SP or are you saying you need to bet into an SP market?
Or are you deriving information from the SP prices?

I lay @ SP.

entropy
26th April 2021, 12:19 PM
I lay @ SP.

Ah! Thanks, now I see where you are coming from.

Back in the day I used to scrape Mark Read's prices with a Perl script and drop them into a spreadsheet.

Are you after a particular set of prices?
I am happy to test my Perl scripts to see if they can do the task.
Still using several Perl scripts daily for other data.

Shaun
27th April 2021, 10:40 PM
I don't use BA Mark but and pretty experienced with Gruss and spreadsheets, i will send you an email and may be able to put something together for you, i see they have a 14 day free trial so i could get the feel for it.

Shaun
27th April 2021, 10:49 PM
Hi All,

I always say the key to success is adapting, i spend time on that other forum but have to say is mostly full of sheep, nothing much to learn over there and anything that can be taught falls mostly on deaf ears.

UselessBettor
7th May 2021, 07:37 PM
evajb, shaun, Mark, partypooper, entropy,

Great to see you guys are all still around.

As far as how I am going on the punting game, its pretty much me just plodding away at it as usual.

I've reduced my turnover to keep the swings to more of my liking. Where I was doing over 400 million per year I have scaled it back and I am doing around 60 Million a year. The profits are less but Ive also reduced my volatility significantly. I only bet a small number of my models now. I still have around 900+ models across various sports which show long term profits. If I bet them all I would still be turning over more than 400 million per year.

This year (Jan-Apr) has been ok without anything to get excited about or to be disapppointed in. its been steady which is what I was aiming for. I am sitting at 40K profit (around 10K profit a month). Largest drawdown has been $8K. I have my personal tax ruling lodged so that 10K a month is tax free :)

Im glad to hear everyone is still going at it.

There are lots of profitable angles out there. Keep looking each day and you will find them if you have enough data. I find them all the time, but they are generally too up/down for my risk profile. The trick isnt finding profitable angles, its finding ones you will bet through the ups and downs.

I tend to frequent the slack channels now and less on forums. Ill be back here more around Melb Cup and hoping we have a thread again this year to help us get the winner..

walkermac
8th May 2021, 04:30 PM
but we still have the archives from day 1Hmmm.

Ill be back here more around Melb Cup and hoping we have a thread again this year to help us get the winner..I'll post one up shortly, in case people feel I have some kind of ownership over Melbourne Cup threads; the Andrew Ramsden is on next week after all. I can't promise my input will be as in-depth as in previous years; my interest in racing is fluctuating a bit at present.

On that - and in answer to the thread query - I still check in here most days but don't feel inspired or engaged enough to contribute much. My own analysis and betting goes in fits and starts, either kicked off by a Sportz tipping comp or via my own boredom - and usually is finished off for a while by a losing run! :)

evajb001
10th May 2021, 11:31 AM
Sorry guys I should have responded a bit earlier, great to hear the majority of us are still going at it even if we frequent the forums less.

Bit unfortunate there's not really any 'ideas' threads or vigorous discussion anymore as they used to be great to partake in and read over again and again.

I still feel like you're the pinnacle UB of what i'd one day love to achieve. Don't think i've got the coding knowledge or enough motivation to learn it either, but if I could get even 5 or 10% of the way to what you produce i'd be happy.

Finding pockets of profit I don't think is the hard part, but finding those pockets on a regular (daily/weekly) basis AND being able to scale them - thats the key. Not much point having a AFL player disposal model thats profitable betting with BFAIR when the market is pretty illiquid as it stands currently.

I really wish more people were aware of how much better their odds could be when compared to the corporates so more money flowed through it. Updating their web layout would go a long way to helping that I feel.

partypooper
11th May 2021, 01:05 PM
I also haven't logged in for quite some time, but still check it out almost everyday. Me also still plodding along making a small % with some old staples, and of course always working on new projects, glad to hear some of the old faces still around.

Lord Greystoke
5th June 2021, 03:50 PM
Afternoon gents.

Not much to add here I'm afraid, also plodding along with few highlights!

A bit surprised BF hasn't taken more advantage of multiple lockdowns, more people working at home and spending more time there. Pretty sure corporates will be lapping up this 'extra action', opportunity etc

On a brighter note, have noticed one or two old angles still come up trumps from time to time.

Anyway .. was by complete chance I saw this post and good to see some quality players / posters still ducking and diving in some shape or form.

Might pop in a bit more often now !

Cheers LG

partypooper
6th June 2021, 01:31 AM
Hi LG, yes it was good in the old days lots of interaction, well I'm not sure what happened overall, but in my case it was quite clear cut. but I do miss the old banter, just as an afterthought, I've been doing particularly well with several Dutching plans..... hope I haven't put the Karbosh on that

Lord Greystoke
6th June 2021, 02:04 PM
I've been doing particularly well with several Dutching plans..... hope I haven't put the Karbosh on that

CHAMPION

evajb001
7th June 2021, 05:08 PM
LG great to see you're still around the traps.

Whilst it wasn't necessarily the most profitable or systematic approach, we had some good times with some of the old quaddie threads that were thrown together.

Still think to this day that even basic speed mapping gives an edge when making selections, or at least helps to limit the losses.

trifectaric
8th June 2021, 03:29 PM
yes i still look in each day and i also think speed maps help a lot if they are true and the horses run to them or close

i also still do the quds and trebles but the pools are now very low on most week day meetings.

partypooper
14th June 2021, 03:18 PM
Ah, I'm reliably informed that the word is KIBOSH, not KARBOSH?? RE: my last post here!

Try Try Again
25th August 2021, 09:48 PM
Hi All,

I have just started reading all the old posts and picking up many great thoughts from so many of the early contributors (upto start 2005, still a long way to go).

Why have so many of these prolific contributors been suspended and/or banned?

TTA

Questioning moderation is unacceptable. Account suspended 1 month. Moderator
Next time this thread will be locked or removed in addition to User suspension.

UselessBettor
26th August 2021, 08:49 PM
I think they just moved on. There were some heated debates in some years and a few bans were put into place. This annoyed a few of them and they went elsewhere.

I have drifted away from posting here as there are other places which are more active these days. So much of it has moved to facebook groups (mostly degenerate gamblers there) or onto twitter (its a bit hit and miss) but also there are private slack channels where the information is hidden away from most people. This is where the better stuff is now found.

But the best information is always found in private conversations between people. Its a great idea to reach out to people and get to know them. People won't tell you their secrets but you can ask questions and gain from their expereiences. If I was to try trading I would go ask lots of questions to the traders I know, if I wanted to create a book I would reach out to Mark, if I wanted to do in play betting in tennis I would reach out to the biggest inplay trader I know. I have all these connections because I always strike up conversations and talk with them. Keep in mind if you want to get answers from them you also need to be willing to open up about what is working and what is not working for you. These days you can quickly get a zoom session going and chat face to face.

Pre-covid I would go to meetups and talk to people. I heard amazing stories of Zeljko from the old days when they frequented the tracks (OMG on those stories) from some really long term profitable punters.

Relationships are where the real gold can be found.

SpeedyBen
2nd February 2022, 11:43 PM
Hi everybody
I'm still around and punting successfully.
I'm mostly an in running player now. I lay the gallops all over Oz and back the harness races in my state. It is difficult to lose on any given Friday if you bet in running at GP.
I run the Marketfeeder Pro bot which is a magnificent piece of software. I have a few winning systems in there and it runs non stop.
Good to see all the familiar names popping up.

blackdog1
4th February 2022, 07:57 AM
long, long, time since I posted here, but just to assure you that we ("old timers" still look in but don't comment, I'm sure that I don't need to explain why) ??
Good to see you Party, long time for me since last log in, years actually.
We used to exchange a few messages.

Best of luck to you and all here.

partypooper
4th February 2022, 01:24 PM
G'Day BD 'n'all yes, still kicking; not investing anywhere near as much these days, got banned several places and restricted others, kinda took the wind out of my sails.
But I've still got a couple of die hard plans that just keep on producing and are easier to, well, camouflage.

Sportz
4th February 2022, 09:03 PM
Very quiet on here. Forums like this seem to be dying out in the days of social media. But I still post my ratings on here each week and I'll be starting up the tipping comp soon.

UselessBettor
5th February 2022, 07:17 PM
I stop by to read every once and a while but I am a lot more active on the slack channels now rather than forums.

But this forum is always good to look back over for an idea or two.

blackdog1
6th February 2022, 06:32 AM
I stop by to read every once and a while but I am a lot more active on the slack channels now rather than forums.

But this forum is always good to look back over for an idea or two.
I'm risking a ban here, but no matter, I say it anyway.

So, you are still the leech you were many years ago when you milked punters for their systems by providing a "system test"?

Despicable.

UselessBettor
6th February 2022, 09:02 PM
I'm risking a ban here, but no matter, I say it anyway.

So, you are still the leech you were many years ago when you milked punters for their systems by providing a "system test"?

Despicable.

You are entitled to your view, but considering it helped lots of people its interesting to see you had an opposing view. Hear me out but as I said you are entitled to your opinion and on what you think and feel.

Firstly, do you know many sites do this now and share it with other punters
and make a profit selling the system rules and system selections ? I never did that.

I was quite open that I stored the results of any tests done for myself to look through. It said it on the site. I never shared any information with anyone else. As has become more prevalent these days, free never means free as free means you are going to get something for providing a service and what you are getting is information. Having information puts you in the top 2% of punters and that was a smart way of me getting rapid information of what might work and what doesn't work.

Google offers a free search engine and sells your data. Facebook offers a free social media site and sell your data. In fact most sites show ads that collect data for offering free information on lots of topics. This was pretty much exactly the same expect I was very open that I would store the profitable systems for my own research and I wouldn't share the data.

That was years ago and I can guarantee 999/1000 of those systems were too basic and a waste of time. I now run models using machine learning and wouldn't use something as basic as those filters as they just don't work long term.

The turning point was understanding each race needs to be assessed differently and this cant be done with filters hence the ML models.

Anyway, hopefully you are still being profitable on the dogs as its been an interesting few months lately with them. Maybe you can see why offering a system tester is not as bad as you think it is, but as I said you are entitled to your opinion.

I hope your post doesn't result in a ban. There is nothing wrong with voicing your view and having an opinion. That is exactly what successful punters do every time they place a bet.

blackdog1
7th February 2022, 08:12 AM
All good.

Shaun
14th February 2022, 01:42 AM
Still around, drifted to punters as it was at least active, mostly filled with average punters not so many thinkers, as with a couple other sites they decided to make it subscription so most of the people there moved to a couple different discord channels.

I had never used discord before, i like the feel, you will be happy to know UB i am still working with python, i still haven't created a database but i do use the free JSON feed from the Tab for my daily data, works pretty well.

It will be a shame when this place vanishes as there is still a lot of info here for people to learn from.

evajb001
14th February 2022, 11:14 AM
Hi Shaun,

Being a bit of a gamer I use discord a lot with mates for playing games and I believe that was its original purpose however seems like a lot of discussion based channels have opened up on there. There's some for punting, lots of crypto ones now and i'm sure there's plenty of other ones as well. This time last year when me and a mate were streaming punting tips on Twitch we started a discord channel as well for punters to join up to. Its been very inactive last 6 months but its something i'd like to get active again some day.

I have to say i'm starting to get to the point of being demoralised of trying to make a dollar on horse racing. I definitely feel like my excel recording approach is just not up to standard and I need to learn how to work with databases but it just seems like such a steep learning curve I just don't know if I have it in me.

Shaun
15th February 2022, 10:54 AM
Hi Shaun,

Being a bit of a gamer I use discord a lot with mates for playing games and I believe that was its original purpose however seems like a lot of discussion based channels have opened up on there. There's some for punting, lots of crypto ones now and i'm sure there's plenty of other ones as well. This time last year when me and a mate were streaming punting tips on Twitch we started a discord channel as well for punters to join up to. Its been very inactive last 6 months but its something i'd like to get active again some day.

I have to say i'm starting to get to the point of being demoralised of trying to make a dollar on horse racing. I definitely feel like my excel recording approach is just not up to standard and I need to learn how to work with databases but it just seems like such a steep learning curve I just don't know if I have it in me.

Have sent you an email

evajb001
15th February 2022, 11:59 PM
Have just replied Shaun, appreciate it.

kiwi
20th February 2022, 10:47 AM
Was using Punters, but they now ask for money. Come here for Sportz racing comps, great for testing my plans.
Have a productive plan right now, but as we have discussed in the past these systems consistently run out of steam.
Attempting to keep my rules to 3 only, and using some breeding knowledge.