PDA

View Full Version : lonhro (lookout)

topsy99
26th October 2003, 11:09 AM
for fear of being a knocker i will still comment on the cox plate.
great performance by king/winner
great effort by defier.

lonhro got close despite his jockey.

i have watched the cox plate over the past few years and cant remember many(any) winners coming off the pace (perhaps superimpose) lonhro might win in sydney against mediocre wfa opposition (hope i didnt overstate that opposition) but he cant win with a leg in the air at the valley from 8 lengths back against decent opposition and good riders.
hats off to the riders of the first two. beadman would be disappointed that he was outridden.
declaration of interest. nil no bet due to thinking that lonhro would win.

La Mer
26th October 2003, 03:18 PM
[quote]
On 2003-10-26 11:09, topsy99 wrote:
i have watched the cox plate over the past few years and cant remember many(any) winners coming off the pace (perhaps superimpose)

La Mer: Dane Ripper in 1997 came from off the pace to win, 6th (of 9) at the 800m 5th at the turn. But you are basically correct, the Valley greatly favours frontrunners.

crash
26th October 2003, 06:17 PM
If Beadman had led he still would have lost. Are we using the old track bias excuse Topsy? Right, and Beadman didn't know about it to position himself [anywhere he liked from that barrier] accordingly ? He ain't that green.

Spinning Hill settled 2nd. last to win the Manikato, Natural Blitz last of thirteen to win the Feehan Stks. Dilly Dally settled last to win the Crockett and [Frightening has done it too at MV] and I could go on and on. Sure there is a bias at M/V but so there is at many tracks. They are there for jockeys to read and if their mount is good enough, especialy champions, to win anyway. He had an excuse last year but not this time and he won't be back to make it three loses in a row.

Cheers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crash on 2003-10-26 18:19 ]</font>

topsy99
26th October 2003, 07:04 PM
two things. (or three)

not making excuses for lonhro.
1. his rating is based on mainly on lesser performers in sydney although his record in melbourne has been fairly good.
2. he was not ridden to great advantage regardless of track bias or not. good riders would be on the pace at the valley particularly against such good opposition.
3. i didnt think my original post was offering excuses or blaming bias of any sort. Jockeys King and Payne left nothing to chance whereas Beadman relied on his faith in his horse being too superior. this was misguided as it turned out.

crash
27th October 2003, 08:50 AM
Then the excuse is that Beadman isn't a good rider ?

From the man himself after the ride: "I couldn't have asked for much more from the Horse. I didn't have any more gears left and they just kept going and going." ie. He isn't a genuine horse beyond 1600m. and I was hoping for a sit and sprint.

Lonhro couln't have found a weaker or slower Cox than last Saterday.

As far as MV being an on the pace and leaders track ... that describes almost ALL Aust. tracks and where the most winners come from at the 400m. anywhere in Oz. and if the horse is good enough they can win from behind too as they regularly do everywhere including MV.

On the subject of Champs. I'll concede that it can be a subjective choice and one man's Champ. can be another man's dog. That's Racing.

Cheers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crash on 2003-10-27 08:52 ]</font>

umrum
27th October 2003, 11:44 AM
beadman rode lonhro well. very well. 600 out he cruised up to them but he couldnt go past them. at the home turn he looked a winner all over, he lost a length at the turn and couldnt come back. it was a game run from lonhro but defier and fields of omagh were tougher horses.

lonhro had every chance. no excuses neccessary, he just wasnt good enough on the day.

this race shows how good Northerly was!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: umrum on 2003-10-27 11:45 ]</font>

Fishbones
27th October 2003, 05:07 PM
All that I can say is. Enough of all these excuses and bashings as to why Lonhro didn't win. It all comes down to one thing only. HE WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH ON THE DAY! That's racing for you. Any sport for that matter.

crash
28th October 2003, 07:44 AM
Right on Fishbones.
Excuses do not a Champion make.

Cheers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: crash on 2003-10-28 07:44 ]</font>

TESTAROSSA
28th October 2003, 10:50 AM
On 2003-10-28 07:44, crash wrote:

Then there must be no such thing as a champion because ALL champions lose!!!

Seeker11
28th October 2003, 03:16 PM
On 2003-10-28 10:50, TESTAROSSA wrote:

On 2003-10-28 07:44, crash wrote:

Then there must be no such thing as a champion because ALL champions lose!!!

Indeed, a true champion will get back up and fight on after a loss...haven't you seen any of the Might Ducks movies :grin:

boxhead
28th October 2003, 07:04 PM
Put it behind you fella's.
Wait till he goes back to Sydney where most jocks seem to run races to suit him, unless they awake from their slumber he will continue to win as he likes.

TESTAROSSA
29th October 2003, 12:02 PM
Hmmm....

Lonhro's record in Melbourne:

8 Starts
5 Wins (2 Yalumba's, Caulfield Guineas, Diamond Prelude and Mackinnon)
1 Third (Cox Plate)
1 Fourth (Blue Diamond)
1 Sixth (Cox Plate)

Yeah right, just a Sydney horse!!!!!

umrum
29th October 2003, 12:12 PM
On 2003-10-29 12:02, TESTAROSSA wrote:
Hmmm....

Lonhro's record in Melbourne:

8 Starts
5 Wins (2 Yalumba's, Caulfield Guineas, Diamond Prelude and Mackinnon)
1 Third (Cox Plate)
1 Fourth (Blue Diamond)
1 Sixth (Cox Plate)

Yeah right, just a Sydney horse!!!!!
a great horse testa a great horse. just one length short of a champion over 2000metres

boxhead
29th October 2003, 07:28 PM
TESTA
Don't recall saying anywhere that the black could not win in Melb.
Cheers :eek:

topsy99
29th October 2003, 08:16 PM
pretty touchy post this one.
it wasnt meant to be.

i have no further comment/may have been better to not to have had one at all.
we all have different opinions of horse rides apparently.
for instance i thought payne rode northerly okay in the BMW got beaten by a good horse and the winner did have a very good record over that distance.

TESTAROSSA
30th October 2003, 11:00 AM
On 2003-10-28 19:04, boxhead wrote:
Wait till he goes back to Sydney where most jocks seem to run races to suit him, unless they awake from their slumber he will continue to win as he likes.

So you are saying that when he wins in Sydney it's by the fact that the races are run to suit because of the jockeys, but in Melbourne when he wins it's because of.....?????

boxhead
30th October 2003, 08:16 PM
Stating the bloody obvious: HE WINS BECAUSE HE IS A VERY GOOD HORSE.
Nowhere have I suggested otherwise. Comment was about the way the races in Sydney have been run. From what I have seen daudle{?} and sprint, course he'll kill 'em, would anyway but ya gotta have a crack, don't ya
Cheers.
PS not interested in a slanging match :smile:

TESTAROSSA
31st October 2003, 03:47 PM
On 2003-10-30 20:16, boxhead wrote:
PS not interested in a slanging match :smile:

What on this forum......No never :smile:

Cheers.