PDA

View Full Version : Golf Arbitrage

michaelg
4th December 2003, 04:34 PM
The current Betfair betting market on the U.S. Masters is 80.9%. I would assume the list of players of 24 is incomplete and that others not yet shown may qualify?

michaelg
4th December 2003, 04:43 PM
I forgot to mention that about five minutes before the commencement of today's Australian Masters that the Betfair market was under 97%.

Mark
4th December 2003, 06:54 PM
Michealg
Yep, I saw the US market as well & thought I had struck gold, until I realised that there are a lot more than 24 starters.
Trap for the unwary methinks. Unless of course the winner comes from those listed.

michaelg
4th December 2003, 08:02 PM
Hi, Mark.

I remember some time ago Mark Read offered head-to-head odds on a certain boxing match. The match was a draw, and because he did not offer any odds for the draw there was a huge outcry because every one who had a bet with him could not win. I do not know what was the final outcome - if money was refunded, the bets voided or whatever.

So, if someone backs a current golfer on the Betfair list, and a late entry or an unlisted golfer wins, I wonder then if there is some justification to argue that it was impossible to back the winner when the bet was made, just as was with the "Mark Read" scenario.

zeditave
16th December 2003, 03:56 PM
Michaelg,
That's actually false - I happened to work for Read at the time and the draw was always an option in that fight. However of all the complaints (20+), two phone calls were found where the operator left out the draw, those bets were voided.

Can't remember the fighters involved - big heavyweight fight in 1999, Don King was the promoter.

zeditave
16th December 2003, 03:57 PM
and as for the Betfair golf scenario - it's like nearly every other bookie - others added upon request....

Mark
16th December 2003, 05:35 PM
Zeditave

Do you still work fo him?, if so what's happening with the Caloundra setup. Betting exchange or just bookie-ing some meetings, or all?.

Mark

Rock Steady
17th December 2003, 11:55 AM
Hi zeditave,
I have been betting with IAS for about nine months and have noticed a disturbing trend.
You might be able to enlighten me as you used to work there.
I bet on greyhounds with IAS via the internet and in the last month or so, every winner I back with IAS returns the shortest dividend on the NSW tote. IAS offer NSW tote odds plus a very small bonus for the greyhounds.
I generally only have around $100 to $200 the WIN on my greyhound selections and since March, my bank with IAS has grown from $3000 to $13000. My win strike rate is consistently around 33% and I win at around 70% of meetings I bet at. I have been betting on dogs for a living for a number of years.
I have noticed that all my bets are coming up real short on the NSW tote and I wonder if IAS are back betting my selections because they want to get rid of them.
When I joined IAS, they assured me that they don't back bet for small bets but I'm just wondering if you could shed some light on this matter.
I am probably better off reverting to what I have done for years and that is just bet the three totes for equal amounts. I don't feel like I should be tipping IAS on my hard work. I put in about 40 hours per week on form study via videos etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rock Steady on 2003-12-17 11:56 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rock Steady on 2004-01-05 08:22 ]</font>