PDA

View Full Version : Differences between NRL and S12s.

Mr J
30th March 2004, 06:38 PM
I'm not talking about difference in rules, I'm talking differences in character, or how rules might affect play.

Home advantage generally isn't as strong? NRL teams don't have to travel like S12 teams, and climates don't vary as much.

Season is obviously much longer. Futures would be harder to profit off.

How much harder is it to beat NRL or super league?

I'm looking at adapting my S12 system to league (nrl and super league), as it'd give me alot more matches to look at, but little more effort required.

I assume aussie books/british books are much sharper on NRL/Super League than union. What sort of betting limits are there? Does anyone here use offshore books (I mainly use offshore and prefer them, but are they competitive on league?).

I know there are alot more statistics available for the NRL than for S12 (which might be good or bad, depending on how you cap).

sportznut
30th March 2004, 10:31 PM
Mr J,

The home ground advantages still exist, but they aren't as strong. Certainly my 'Home Dog' line betting system doesn't work quite as well on the NRL as S12.

I guess one of the main differences is the pointscoring. As a rule, NRL games are generally lower scoring and unless there's a field goal you can't have odd number scores. Another major difference is no bonus points, so there's not the incentive to get the 4 tries or to finish within 7 points. And of course, with the introduction of the Golden Point rule it's highly unlikely you'll see a draw.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-03-30 22:36 ]</font>

Mr J
31st March 2004, 12:04 AM
I'm not really worried about scorelines, I just enter the NRL stats instead of the s12 ones. Hopefully I'll be able to start NRL next week.

kiwi@nz
31st March 2004, 07:14 AM
Yes I am looking at starting Nrl next week also,don't know how I am going to find the time in between building my N.b.a database,doing the Super 12 and trying to be a family man.
I dont think the N.R.L would be as hard as American football where there is a lot of parity and its more situational type handicapping,I suppose the key is finding lines that are not as sharp,I find that stats are easy to come by (N.R.L)and the big plus is there are plenty of games.

Mr J
31st March 2004, 03:29 PM
But how sharp are the bookies for NRL? Say in comparison to Super 12s?

Also remember if you can beat NRL you might also be able to beat Super League (12 teams, 28 rounds).

The NRL is going to be a pain in the ass, only 2 extra teams but more than twice as many rounds to look at.

Desi
31st March 2004, 04:52 PM
Have noted that it is not uncommon during every round for an upset to occur..that is, a result that goes against the bookies or pundits picks...I have never bet on NRL but followed the sport for many years now! There are lots of things that happen mid season that impact on team performance and results (eg weather, injuries, State of Origin) which if you have all the facts can turn a profit...Good Luck Guys!

sportznut
31st March 2004, 05:01 PM
Yeah, Origin is something which you should take into account, if you're doing stats. With most teams having to play a couple of games without some of their best players, it can really turn the results upside down.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-03-31 17:04 ]</font>