PDA

View Full Version : State Of Origin

sportznut
19th May 2004, 05:52 PM
Okay, Darren Lockyer's out and I really can't see how Qld can win game 1 without him. I know that NSW have also lost a fair bit of talent through injury, but I think that Lockyer's injury is far more crucial. Qld will definitely try their guts out and they do have a lot of talent in the outside backs, but the home ground advantage should make NSW just about good things. Anyway, here are the odds:

TAB Sportsbet
Game 1: NSW 1.50 QLD 2.40
Series: NSW 1.48 QLD 2.45

NSW Tab
Game 1: NSW 1.55 QLD 2.35

Sportodds
Game 1: NSW 1.47 (-6.5) QLD 2.65 (+6.5)

IAS
Game 1: NSW 1.48 QLD 2.65

Desi
21st May 2004, 01:31 PM
Sports,
Lockyer is a big loss all right for the Maroons (for his vision, organising and kicking game)...they will need a lot more of that Queenslander spirit...mind you, Queensland seem to just thrive on being the underdog...haven't seen the Maroons forward pack yet, Sports, how do they look?

goldmember
21st May 2004, 01:48 PM
Forwards look a lot stronger than the cockroachs and overall i think they have a great team [on paper]just hope that its not a mental thing being without lockeyer otherwise it could become a cane[toad]ing.

cheers

sportznut
21st May 2004, 02:53 PM
QUEENSLAND:
Rhys Wesser
Justin Hodges
Paul Bowman
Brent Tate
Billy Slater
Chris Flannery
Scott Prince
Shane Webcke (C)
Cameron Smith
Steven Price
Michael Crocker
Dane Carlaw
Tonie Carroll.

Interchange:
Ben Ross
Petero Civoniceva
Travis Norton
Matt Bowen

NEW SOUTH WALES:
Ben Hornby
Anthony Minichiello
Matt Gidley
Michael De Vere
Luke Lewis
Shaun Timmins
Craig Gower
Mark O’Meley
Danny Buderus (c)
Ryan O'Hara
Craig Fitzgibbon
Andrew Ryan
Nathan Hindmarsh

Interchange:
Willie Mason
Brent Kite
Trent Waterhouse
Craig Wing
18th man - Kurt Gidley

You'll notice that I've listed Michael De Vere in Gasnier's centre spot. I think that's probably what they'll do, but who knows, they may put Kurt Gidley in there somewhere.

Anyway, the Maroons don't have a good record at Telstra Stadium and I feel they need their strongest possible lineup to win down there. The loss of Lockyer certainly tips the scales NSW way.

I personally think that Qld may have a slight advantage in the forwards and the outside backs, but NSW have a decided advantage in the halves and also seem to have a better bench. I do think the Blues have helped Qld a little bit by not picking Scott Hill though. I don't know what they were thinking there.

I know that Qld will lift, but Chris Flannery certainly isn't Darren Lockyer and I think that'll make all the difference in the end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-05-21 15:56 ]</font>

breadman
21st May 2004, 03:02 PM
Hi there everyone,

Forget about the loss of lockyer, that doesnt mean in a thing in this game. This game will be won by the team that has the most pride in their jumper and Queensland have proven that time and time again and will do so again this year. They will win the first two games by less than 6 points and they will lose the third game by a big margin so that then the Blues can say how unlucky they were in the first two games!!!! hahaha GO YOU MIGHTY QUEENSLANDERS!!!!

sportznut
21st May 2004, 03:19 PM
Record at Telstra Stadium:

1999 Game 2: New South Wales 12 def. Queensland 8
2000 Game 1: New South Wales 20 def. Queensland 16
2000 Game 3: New South Wales 56 def. Queensland 16
2001 Game 2: New South Wales 26 def. Queensland 8
2002 Game 1: New South Wales 32 def. Queensland 4
2002 Game 3: New South Wales 18 drew with Queensland 18
2003 Game 2: New South Wales 27 def. Queensland 4

Played 7: NSW 6, Qld 0, Drawn 1
Total points scored: NSW 191, Qld 74

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-05-21 16:21 ]</font>

Desi
21st May 2004, 03:33 PM
See what you mean about their record at Telstra Sports...going to have to play at their best and if they do manage to sneak in there...they will go on to win the series...where's the third being played?

sportznut
21st May 2004, 04:22 PM
The same venue, Telstra Stadium. This year it's the Blues' turn to host 2 games and with Qld having such a horrid record there, it's going to be awful hard for Qld to take the series.

By the way, only twice has the team that lost the first game gone on to win the series.

Desi
21st May 2004, 06:13 PM
They will have to put all efforts into winning this game Sports, otherwise its an uphill battle! Its possible and I agree Maroons forwards look a strong unit! A lot of pressure on Prince and Flannery to control the match and make the right decisions...Hagan was pretty good half himself so hopefully he will come up with a few tricks and strategic plays...

sportznut
24th May 2004, 07:03 PM
There's a tradition that S.O.O games are close. Well, 9 of the last 11 games have been won by more than 12.5 pts. (7 by the home team) I'm not sure if that's going to continue this year, but it's certainly something to think about.

Floydyboy
24th May 2004, 09:04 PM
Hey Sportz whats the story with the venues for syd and bris in the afl Bet fairs got westbulldogs and melb listed as home teams I know im in the wrong place but thought id catch you here
Dont know about this SOO though .Theyre always tough ...In the near past where NSW has seemed to have dominated I think they have had much better sides on paper and QLD have gutsed it out I dont know that they have that advantage at the moment.
I Cant say "queenslander" with any conviction yet So I suppose its "CARN THE BLUEEEES!!!!!!"

Floydyboy
24th May 2004, 09:18 PM
And I think either of the skippers might win man of the match.
Everytime I see Webke hes giving 110% +
And Buderus is always in the thick of things.NSW are gonna depend on him a fair bit .

sportznut
24th May 2004, 09:29 PM
With regards to that AFL question, each year (for purely monetary reasons), the Bulldogs play their 'home' game against Sydney IN Sydney and Melbourne plays their 'home' game against Brisbane IN Brisbane.

Back to the S.O.O, up until all this fuss with the NSW team, I would have predicted a comfortable 13+ pts win to the Blues. Now I'm not so sure. As for Man Of The Match, if Qld wins I think Cameron Smith might be a big show and if NSW wins, maybe Craig Gower. The two you mentioned are also a big chance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-05-24 22:36 ]</font>

Floydyboy
24th May 2004, 09:38 PM
TA

Paddy
27th May 2004, 07:31 PM
Good tough game. Although winning by a narrow margin in the end, thought the cockroaches the better side on the night, unlucky not to get another couple of tries on the board.

goldmember
27th May 2004, 07:43 PM
I had only 4 small bets @ at good value because i coudn't pick who was going to win.

QLD to score a try 1st @ $2.90
QLD 1-4 at H/T @ $6.50
TATE to out score gidley @ $3.65
WESSER to out score hornby @ $3.25

3/4 wasn't too bad a result.

sportznut
27th May 2004, 08:45 PM
Some very interesting bets there. I was pretty boring. I just backed NSW to win at $1.72 and NSW to win the series at $1.65.

goldmember
27th May 2004, 08:49 PM
sportz , you or the game LOL . lucky i put those bets on because it the most boring 1st half of origin i have ever watched, my bets kept me interested

Paddy
27th May 2004, 08:53 PM
Couldn't hold yourself back any longer sportznut :smile:

sportznut
27th May 2004, 09:00 PM
:smile:

goldmember
27th May 2004, 09:10 PM
Did Justin Hodges pay his fare ? after all he was just a passenger

27th May 2004, 09:14 PM
Have a dislike for the roosters too goldmember.

goldmember
27th May 2004, 09:21 PM
NO, NO, i follow the roosters, it's that he did nothing in the game,thats all.The roosters had the best player on the field, FITZGIBBON, and the worst, HODGES.

27th May 2004, 09:26 PM
So do you reckon he should be sacked for game 2 or given another go.

Desi
28th May 2004, 02:01 AM
Thought that Hodges was a passenger also Gold/ Phil and that the outside backs lacked any penetration out wide (as has been the recent problem for the Maroons)...this was a game that Queensland should have won...they showed too much repect and looked to be trying to keep it close in the beginning rather than win!

goldmember
28th May 2004, 11:10 AM
I would wait, as he has 2 games against the warriors and bulldogs coming up , but if he didn't show some form then he should be. Had only a few games back since that bad injury and with that greasy surface after the rain he might of been a bit gun shy, but at least he should of tried.

Napalm
28th May 2004, 10:25 PM
When both teams pick 5/8's that can't/won't pass, you are bound to get a low scoring game. The centres/wingers never had a chance to shine.

Timmins had a good game but he is not a 5/8.

Based on that fact, betting on unders might be the way to go unless either team pick some more attacking players.

Regards,

sportzfan
15th June 2004, 04:24 PM
Queensland is firming as the favourite to win Origin two in Brisbane tomorrow.

Queensland 1.80
New South Wales 2.00

Queensland 1-12 @ 3.10
Queensland 13+ @ 3.50
New South Wales 1-12 @ 3.50
New South Wales 13+ @ 4.50
Draw 23.00

sportznut
16th June 2004, 04:10 PM
Latest odds:

TAB Sportsbet:
Qld 1.75
NSW 1.95

Sportstab:
Qld 1.90
NSW 1.90

IAS:
Qld 1.83
NSW 1.97

Sportodds:
Qld 1.80
NSW 2.00

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-06-16 18:13 ]</font>

erikson
16th June 2004, 09:06 PM
Sure I read somewhere that Rabbitz predicted QLD 22-14.He's pretty close to the mark that rabbitz
Goodnight