PDA

View Full Version : Spread? What's that?

moeee
22nd May 2004, 03:11 PM
I know about most forms of AFL betting.
But what is this spread thing?
I believe it pays large odds.
Do sportsbet have it.?
Tell me please some-one.

Gratefully Mo.

Mr J
22nd May 2004, 04:04 PM
Spread betting is line betting (the handicap). You might be refering to margin betting? Where you pick the margin a team will win by? Can you give an example of the bet?

moeee
22nd May 2004, 10:30 PM
Margin betting is when a team needs to win between margin x and margin y.Or over margin x.Or less than margin y.

Mr J,you mention spread a number of times in the post you started called NRL Question.

Mo.

moeee
23rd May 2004, 09:45 AM
SPREAD is this.

The bookmaker says the final margin,for example,Port and Richmond,will be between 12 and 20 points.
If I think Port will win by more,I receive an amount equivalent to my stake for every point over the 20 points margin.
But.
I need to pay an amount equivalent to my stake for every point less than 12 points if the margin is less than 12.
If the margin is the spread (12-20) I lose my stake.
Could be scary!

Mo.

goldmember
23rd May 2004, 09:58 AM
Moeee it can be a bad thing if you are new to it or have a bad game, you could lose $100's or even $1,000's.Thats a $1 a point or $10 a point all depends on your stake, you can bet on them at sportsacumen, you can get a brochure when you join upand they explain it to you and even warn you, i have just a sports account with them as i wouldn't bet that way cause i could go broke on my 1st bet LOL

goldmember
23rd May 2004, 10:15 AM
you can visit their site and have a look at the rules and it explains about the buying and selling, you can do it on league, afl, soccer and cricket etc...

moeee
23rd May 2004, 10:27 AM
Geez
I hope you don't dislike me for this Goldmember.
I have in fact been to where you advised me to go.
And I have divulged what I had learnt there in this thread giving my definition as to what a spread is.
Now the wrong side of the bed part.
Why do people read things that I don't say and not read things that I do say?(Insert one of those smiley things of a yellow head wiping the sleep from his eyes here)

Yo - Cheeky Mo.

sportznut
23rd May 2004, 10:33 AM
On 2004-05-23 10:45, moeee wrote:
The bookmaker says the final margin,for example,Port and Richmond,will be between 12 and 20 points.
If I think Port will win by more,I receive an amount equivalent to my stake for every point over the 20 points margin.
But.
I need to pay an amount equivalent to my stake for every point less than 12 points if the margin is less than 12.
If the margin is the spread (12-20) I lose my stake.

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant by Spread betting. I know that it used to be quite popular in England, but I don't think it's ever really caught on here. There's no way I'd bet like that.

goldmember
23rd May 2004, 11:14 AM
Moeee, i would not write about something that you di'nt say,not sure which post, but earlier said ,
[quote]
"boy did i get out of bed on the wrong side this morning"
Dont take it personally, just having a joke with you.

cheers

moeee
23rd May 2004, 11:26 AM
On 2004-05-23 12:14, goldmember wrote:
Moeee, i would not write about something that you di'nt say,not sure which post, but earlier said ,
[quote]
"boy did i get out of bed on the wrong side this morning"
Dont take it personally, just having a joke with you.

cheers

Yeah look.
I started this thread with a question and didn't get an answer,so I done a Google search.Found the answer then sent a post here that answered my own question.
After posting this answer you then advised me how to go about answering my question which I had already answered.
You then take away the number you first thought of and the answer is 16.

Your okay Goldmember - Cheeky Mo.

Mr J
23rd May 2004, 03:40 PM
That's not actually correct.

The spread is the same as betting the handicap. E.g, last night I bet the brumbies -6.5, that is the spread. Hence the term 'against the spread'.

goldmember
23rd May 2004, 03:51 PM
MR J, correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the yanks call it the spread and we call it handicap, is that right, if so, the spread betting here is a extended version of the handicp.

moeee
23rd May 2004, 05:30 PM
On 2004-05-23 16:40, Mr J wrote:
That's not actually correct.

The spread is the same as betting the handicap. E.g, last night I bet the brumbies -6.5, that is the spread. Hence the term 'against the spread'.

Go visit Sportsacumens website and see if alters your ideas as to what constitutes spread betting.

Mo.

Mr J
23rd May 2004, 05:36 PM
The yanks call it the spread, we call it all sorts of things. Aussie bookies are very inconsistent with terms.

Some books here call it the spread, some call it the line, some call it the handicap.
That's why I said spread betting is the same as handicap & line betting.

E.g.

TAB sportsbet call it the line.

Centrebet calls it 'lines' (linebetting), and 'points' (pointbetting). Also refers to that style of betting as the spread.

Betfair call it handicap.

"Yeah, that's what I thought you meant by Spread betting."

That's a variation of spread betting. The spread is EXACTLY the same as the handicap and linebetting.

moeee
23rd May 2004, 05:42 PM
Mr J
I have tomato sauce on my pie,not ketchup.
I put jam on my kids sandwiches,not jelly.
I walk on the footpath,not the sidewalk.
I follow the AFL,thats all.

Mo.

sportznut
23rd May 2004, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I think the 'Spread' that Mr J is referring to is more an American term and I prefer to call it Line betting.

Moeee, I'm not totally sure, but I think the Spread betting that you're referring to may also be called 'Index' betting in some places. Anyway, it hasn't really caught on here and I can understand why. If your tips end up being a fair way off the mark, it can be VERY costly. I certainly wouldn't bet that way.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-05-23 18:49 ]</font>

goldmember
23rd May 2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks for clearing that up MR J , thats what i thought. you can aslo have line and start betting at some sites EG:

line. carlton -20.5 @1.90, melb +20.5 @1.90
start.carlton -25.5 @2.10, melb +15.5 @2.10

they adjust the line with the fav giving more start and the outsider getting less for a better price. so it can get confusing for someone thats new to it.

cheers

goldmember
23rd May 2004, 05:52 PM
spot on again sportz, thats the word i was looking for, index betting , i called it an extension of spread , your one step ahead of me again.

Mr J
24th May 2004, 09:53 AM
Sportz I know the type you mean. Seen tennis bettors on bookiebusters use it (picking number of games in match). People need to know what they are doing, otherwise you can end up losing quite a bit.