PDA

View Full Version : Question for the winners!

partypooper
30th January 2005, 07:57 PM
G'Day all,
Just realising how much the best tote or the best odds makes to my investments. However, some of my plans are Place only and some are win only, most of the selections being at the shorter end. I've noticed that when your at the lower end , BEST PRICE bet often beats the BEST Tote, so when win betting I'm thinking of splitting my bets to half at Maxi Divi, and half at BEST PRICE BET.
AND when betting for the place in Perth, investing half at Northern Territory Tote and the other half at BEST TOTE (NSW/ WA TAB)

The idea to get the best average overall, if anyone has any info (stats etc) on thiis one would be very much obliged

Neil
30th January 2005, 08:09 PM
Hello,
If you check the tables from http://www.propun.com.au/bookmakers.html
you will see years of data available for Melbourne/Sydney Saturday racing where winners start at bookmaker odds of $5.50 or shorter.
This will give you some idea for Saturday meetings at Melbourne/Sydney of the difference between TF, SP and tote odds for the most favoured horses in the market.
Cheers,
Neil

Shaun
30th January 2005, 09:52 PM
Neil...i have looked at all types of betting and i am afraid bookies are not up there with the top 2....when they apporate with markets of 130+% you are never going to get a fair price...we all know where the best prices are...betfair and best of the tote...which ever service you use....bookies just don't cut the mustard anymore....they have had there day and i will be sad when they are gone....but betting exchanges are here to stay...and as long as we don't just have one controling TAB for all Australia you can still get good prices from best tote divis.....partypooper thats not a bad idea...i was once told that if you have $5000 to back a horse with you put 25% on when it opens...25% when it starts to go out 25% in the middle stages and 25% at ther end....or some thing to that affect...you split your bet up so you get the best average price you can.

partypooper
30th January 2005, 10:10 PM
Shaun, thanks for that, it gives me some confidence that I am thinking along the right track, I know I will miss out sometimes but feel that I will get the best average!

Neil, thanks for your reply, and basically confirms what I had suspected that at the lower end "BEST PRICE BET" is a good proposistion, whereas, with higher prices (very rare for me) the tote wins out EASILY.

It's a major change for me, and have been hesitant to commence, but that gives me a bit more confidence.

If anyone has any definite stats though, they would be gratefully received.

Filante
31st January 2005, 05:04 PM
Neil,

There's a mistake in your table for Flemigton 29 January 2005 - top fluc for Honest Politician was $3.8 not $3.0...I remember that coz I backed it!

Cheers

Filante
31st January 2005, 05:18 PM
Partypooper,

You should tabulate your bets to see where you're winning because the best place to bet depends on what sort of winner you're backing. If most of your winners are under $5 then taking top fluc is sensible.

This weekend just passed I wrote down the betfair prices available about my selections in the 5 minutes before the race. Invariably, I found that top fluc was superior - which surprised me.

Of course, if your winning selections are usually over $5 then take best tote or betfair.

I wouldn't bother splitting your money around. In the morning make an assessment of whether you're backing one of the favourites and, if so, take top fluc; if you're on a roughy go elsewhere.

Finally, I agree with the comment above that bookmakers are dying. I went to the Friday meeting at Flemington a few weeks back - only about 15 bookies; very difficult to get top fluctuations; plenty of 125+% markets...and to really annoy me...only ONE interstate bookie betting UNDER THE CALL ON MOST OF THE HORSES - so I made his day thoroughly worthless by beating him up at SP.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mr ed
2nd February 2005, 01:15 AM
I basically only bet Top Flux, my bookie gives it to me on any race i want, country, city, interstate. My winners are generally well in the market i find the Top Flux is far superior for these horses. He only works Saturdays though. He even takes my Top Flux bets after a horse has come in e.g Saturday Renewable 1.90 into 1.70 he gave me top flux still, but i generally do the right thing and back it as soon as the market opens. By far the ballsiest bookie in Melbourne. I probably cant mention his name but lets just say he's a CON artist.