PDA

View Full Version : EXPLORING PLACE DIVIDENDS

OneBet
23rd May 2002, 06:51 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm a win-only punter who has been reading ideas and comments in this forum that have almost tempted me to join the place-only advocates. Almost!

My real concern with place betting, though, has always been the rounding-down effect on the smaller divs., eg after the 14.25% TAB takeout, your selection could theoretically be due to return, say, $1.57 (odds of 4/7). But rounding-down to the lower ten cent multiple, it actually pays $1.50 (odds of 1/2). So, the tote's "second grab" is pretty significant in % terms. I know that rounding-down applies to all dividends across all bet types, but surely the effect on smaller dividends is that the variation (ie disadvantage) is greater.

What do you think about this? Am I being logical in my view? How much do you think the rounding-down practice cuts into your margin? I might still have my "win-only" blinkers on, so feel free, everyone, to offer a different slant.

(PS I'm a tote only punter whose bet size and volume probably don't warrant an account with a bookie).

mr magic
23rd May 2002, 09:14 PM
You are spot on Onebet.
Unless you back double figure odds horses you will be behind the eight ball betting on the tote regardless of whether you bet win or place. However, as pointed out in your example, the effect of rounding is more drastic the shorter the price and also the weight of popular money has a more drastic effect on the shorties on the place tote.
You could open an internet betting account with a bookie and bet for as little as $5 per wager and get a lot better deal than you currently do.

shy
23rd May 2002, 09:50 PM
The round down is part of the deal... it effects all punters. Place or win betting is all about profitable returns and comfort zones. I have a very limited comfort zone and have no trouble placing a place-only bet for 10 times the amount that I could on a win bet, especially when so many of the shorter priced contenders pay not a lot less for the place than they do for the win. Everyone has a different tack, but it all comes down to finding that profitable bottom line.
shy:)