OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums

OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/index.php)
-   Horse Racing (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Lays Of the Day Contest (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=7403)

La Mer 2nd February 2005 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave chief
I don't like the idea of nominating races. Just list your 2 lays for the day, no matter what the race. Must be the metrop races however.

Problem with that is that you could get twenty or more races nominated and I only have so much time to go chasing up prices, but your welcome to run it if you want to take the task on.

Sportz 2nd February 2005 08:08 PM

And also you wouldn't get the contest between people to create interest. It just wouldn't be as interesting if everybody picked different races.

I might give it a go. As I said, I'm not really into saying that such and such a horse CAN'T win. Normally too busy trying to work out what ones CAN.

Shaun 2nd February 2005 08:47 PM

you guys are missing the point of laying a horse....you can't pick a race and say i will lay this horse.....you need to find the horse that every one is picking and say i don't think it has a hope in hell of winning and laying that one......just let evyone pick one horse to lay and use that points system that sounds like it will work...that way you won't have people picking 100/1 shorts they will try to find the shortest crap horse they can.

La Mer 2nd February 2005 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
you guys are missing the point of laying a horse.......that way you won't have people picking 100/1 shorts they will try to find the shortest crap horse they can.

No point being missed at all Shaun ... if someone picks a horse @ 100/1 they will only score one point if the horse loses, OTOH if someone picks a horse @ Evens & it loses they will score 50 points - it's all about risk v. return.

Shaun 2nd February 2005 09:00 PM

La Mer

i agreed on the points system it is a good idea....but you can't select a race to lay a horse in you need to select the horse to lay.

Heavyweight 2nd February 2005 11:06 PM

Thanks for taking this on, La Mer.

To encourage people to take a risk (more fun), maybe we should draw the line at $5.00 SP, ie if your nomination loses at greater than $5.00 you get no points anyway. I guess the trouble with that idea is that when the world finds out that a panel as astute as this one is "knocking" a particular conveyance, that conveyance is going to blow like Vesuvius and start at $20.00 (imagine one of those smiley faces here; haven't got up to them yet!)

If we could compromise on the selection of races, maybe we should limit selections to any race within one or two nominated meetings. If I were running it (glad I'm not-too lazy), I would only be interested in checking results on the Melbourne, Sydney and Perth Saturday meetings. And that's because my Sunday paper only gives full SPs for those meetings.

Anyway, you're running the show so you make the rules. Whatever you decide, I'll play.

Cheers,

H.

La Mer 2nd February 2005 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyweight
Thanks for taking this on, La Mer.
If we could compromise on the selection of races, maybe we should limit selections to any race within one or two nominated meetings. If I were running it (glad I'm not-too lazy), I would only be interested in checking results on the Melbourne, Sydney and Perth Saturday meetings. And that's because my Sunday paper only gives full SPs for those meetings.

Anyway, you're running the show so you make the rules. Whatever you decide, I'll play. Cheers,

Appreciate your comments H (as I do the other comments). but I think the way Sportz (and Dr. Ron) are running Ratings Challenge comp is the way to go, as that way everyone is comparing like with like and we are comparing performances in direct relationship to one another (plus it makes it that much easier to monitor).

brave chief 3rd February 2005 09:16 AM

You'll just be laying the same horses. There will only be 2 or maybe 3 horses tops available to "lay" in each race.

Sportz 3rd February 2005 09:30 AM

La Mer,

Here's a compromise option perhaps you could think about.

Pick out the best TWO races in Sydney and Melbourne each week and people then have to pick out a 'lay' in just two of those 4 races. That way, people will get a little more choice, but we'll still basically be concentrating on the same races. That means we'll still have some conflicting opinions which is good. And also not a mountain of work for you. :)

La Mer 3rd February 2005 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportz
La Mer,

Here's a compromise option perhaps you could think about.

Pick out the best TWO races in Sydney and Melbourne each week and people then have to pick out a 'lay' in just two of those 4 races. That way, people will get a little more choice, but we'll still basically be concentrating on the same races. That means we'll still have some conflicting opinions which is good. And also not a mountain of work for you. :)

Yep, sounds Ok, I can handle that - will nominate the races later today - some doubt that they will be racing at Flemington on Saturday - according to the track manager at Flemington they are looking at running the meeting on Sunday or next Tuesday. If its Sunday, then I'll nominate two races, if not then I'll look for alternatives - hopefully a decision will be made sometime today as to what they are going to be doing