OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums

OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/index.php)
-   Horse Racing (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   When In Doubt (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=13611)

stantheman 30th May 2006 10:56 PM

When In Doubt

“When In Doubt go for the topweight!”

Not sure where / when I first heard that saying but it’s got me out of trouble many a time.

So, don’t mind these toppies tomorrow ;)

Canterbury – R4 Altomic; R7 Triple Dee
Murray Bridge – R7 Jest For Fun
Sandown – R6 Evil Master
Ipswich – R6 Monte Cavallo; R7 Two Dancers; R8 British Storm
Belmont – R2 Foxaround; R3 Peppis Pride; R4 Dee Picked; R5 Friars Touch; R7 Woodlore

AdriamnT 30th May 2006 11:27 PM

Ipswich R3 H1 Don’t Tell Anna

suds 31st May 2006 10:04 AM

Ipswich

Race 6 (1) MONTE CAVALLO

breadman 31st May 2006 11:33 AM

WELTERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman
“When In Doubt go for the topweight!”

Not sure where / when I first heard that saying but it’s got me out of trouble many a time.

So, don’t mind these toppies tomorrow ;)

Canterbury – R4 Altomic; R7 Triple Dee
Murray Bridge – R7 Jest For Fun
Sandown – R6 Evil Master
Ipswich – R6 Monte Cavallo; R7 Two Dancers; R8 British Storm
Belmont – R2 Foxaround; R3 Peppis Pride; R4 Dee Picked; R5 Friars Touch; R7 Woodlore

I REMEMBER MY DAD SAYING THAT TO ME A LONG TIME AGO. IT WAS ONLY IN WELTERS

stantheman 31st May 2006 07:18 PM

When In Doubt

1st - Triple Dee, Jest For Fun, Two Dancers, Foxaround, Friars Touch
2nd - Altomic
3rd - Dee Picked
4th - Monte Cavallo, Woodlore
SCR - British Storm

stantheman 31st May 2006 07:29 PM

not too bad a day considering the lack of welters :)

suds 31st May 2006 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suds
Race 6 (1) MONTE CAVALLO

4TH :(

suds 31st May 2006 08:41 PM

Townsville Thur

Race 3 (1) HOTELIER
Race 5 (1) BACK OF HOUSE
Race 7 (1) SNICK
Race 8 (1) LOOKALANI

suds 31st May 2006 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman
1st - Triple Dee, Jest For Fun, Two Dancers, Foxaround, Friars Touch
2nd - Altomic
3rd - Dee Picked
4th - Monte Cavallo, Woodlore
SCR - British Storm

not much doubt there stantheman ;)
nice!!

partypooper 2nd June 2006 12:47 AM

It's supposed to work well with the distance exactly 2400 m (i.e. English Derby distance= 1-1/2 miles, and of course a line was always taken from that race as being the "ultimate"

Also it was mentioned in another thread that the No. 1 in handicaps has a better S/R than it should have in terms of averages (numerically) so the handicapper is better than most of us. So eg. top weight wins 1 race in 5, so a simple method that seems to hold water is take the toppy in handicaps if quoted at $6 or more pre-post,.... check it out

Chrome Prince 2nd June 2006 01:36 AM

That theory of topweight in a Welter is another myth to be busted.

517 Topweights in Welters

Return $380.60

Loss 136.40 units or 26.38% LOT

There were only two in my database running over exactly 2400m and both lost.

The one's that started at greater than $6.00 on the tote were 278 for a return of $162.20 and loss of 115.80 or 41.65% LOT

NB: Flying Welters not included

MYTH BUSTED

I've long held the suspicion that bookmakers started these myths and sent them around the rings shouting "look there's another one that just won" to perpetuate it.

So far I've busted:

Topweight in a Welter
Horses For Courses
Avoid horses second up
Avoid wet tracks (did you know Fast is the very worst going to make a profit?)
The impact of weight
The impact of time
Track Record breakers
Odds On Look On

To name just a few.

Take all these myths and lay 'em like there's no tomorrow and win big.

The bookies version of the Da Vinci Code - BUSTED ;)

crash 2nd June 2006 05:19 AM

I bet you always wanted to be a policeman when you grew up Chrome.

breadman 2nd June 2006 08:05 AM

TOP WEIGHTS IN WELTERS?

JUST WANTED TO CLEAR UP THIS SAYING. WHEN I WAS 14 I WAS GOING TO THE RACES WITH MY DAD. WE USED TO GET STAND TICKETS AND I ACTUALLY HAD A FRIEND UP THERE CALLED IAN CRAIG THE RACE CALLER FOR 2KY. EVERY SAT AT WHEN THE RACES WERE ON AT RANDWICK ID ALWAYS HAVE A CHAT TO HIM. VERY FRIENDLY MAN WHO ALWAYS TOOK TIME OUT TO SPEAK TO ME. THE SAYING BACK TOP WEIGHTD IN WELTERS WHEN IN DOUBT MEANS EXACTLY THAT. I NEVER BET THE TOPWEIGHT IN WELTERS IN EVERY RACE EVER!!!! ITS ONLY WHEN I WAS DOING THE FORM AND SY I HAD 2 TO 5 HORSES MARKED OUT FOR A WELTER RACE AND I COULDNT MAKE UP MY MIND IF IT SO HAPPENED THAT ONE OF THOSE HORSES WAS A TOPWEIGHT WELL THEN I WOULD BACK THE TOPPY, AND THEN IN THAT CIRCUMSTANCE!!!

REMEMBER WHEN IN DOUBT BACK THE TOPWEIGHT DOES NOT MEAN BACK THE TOP WEIGHT IN EVERY WELTER!!!!

JUST WANTED TO CLEAR THAT UP

REGARDS BREADMAN

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD PUNTING

Chrome Prince 2nd June 2006 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash
I bet you always wanted to be a policeman when you grew up Chrome.

Hehe, I just love busting myths.

Chrome Prince 2nd June 2006 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadman
JUST WANTED TO CLEAR UP THIS SAYING. WHEN I WAS 14 I WAS GOING TO THE RACES WITH MY DAD. WE USED TO GET STAND TICKETS AND I ACTUALLY HAD A FRIEND UP THERE CALLED IAN CRAIG THE RACE CALLER FOR 2KY. EVERY SAT AT WHEN THE RACES WERE ON AT RANDWICK ID ALWAYS HAVE A CHAT TO HIM. VERY FRIENDLY MAN WHO ALWAYS TOOK TIME OUT TO SPEAK TO ME. THE SAYING BACK TOP WEIGHTD IN WELTERS WHEN IN DOUBT MEANS EXACTLY THAT. I NEVER BET THE TOPWEIGHT IN WELTERS IN EVERY RACE EVER!!!! ITS ONLY WHEN I WAS DOING THE FORM AND SY I HAD 2 TO 5 HORSES MARKED OUT FOR A WELTER RACE AND I COULDNT MAKE UP MY MIND IF IT SO HAPPENED THAT ONE OF THOSE HORSES WAS A TOPWEIGHT WELL THEN I WOULD BACK THE TOPPY, AND THEN IN THAT CIRCUMSTANCE!!!

REMEMBER WHEN IN DOUBT BACK THE TOPWEIGHT DOES NOT MEAN BACK THE TOP WEIGHT IN EVERY WELTER!!!!

JUST WANTED TO CLEAR THAT UP

REGARDS BREADMAN

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD PUNTING

Breadman, I understand what you're saying and under those circumstances, perhaps it would work, but with such a poor loss on turnover, looking elsewhere might be better. Topweights win very few Welters.

The fact is, that no matter how I tweaked the rules Topweights came out worst of all. Even when favourite, they have a much worse strike rate than favourites overall which gives a big indication.

As for Ian Craig, he does know a bit about punting, in fact, one of his sayings actually works very well with filters.

POSEIDON 6th June 2006 03:45 PM

MUSWELLBROOK RACE 7

(1) MAIN GAME EW!

POSEIDON 7th June 2006 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POSEIDON
(1) MAIN GAME EW!

..narrow win but got there!

slowseriousstab 8th June 2006 03:25 PM

Like the toppy COPPER PENNY!

Others for multies CAMBRIC, CIRCUS MAXIMUS & AWESOME FLASH

slowseriousstab 9th June 2006 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowseriousstab
Like the toppy COPPER PENNY!

Others for multies CAMBRIC, CIRCUS MAXIMUS & AWESOME FLASH

Copper Penny finished 3rd (made profit on EW) also jagged nice tri with Cambric winning from Circus Maximus :)

slowseriousstab 9th June 2006 10:54 PM

Eagle Farm 3

Like the toppy BECKS!

Others for multies GENERALS COMMAND, GENERAL PATTON, BITABIFF & MYSTIKOS

Happychap 11th June 2006 06:26 AM

Kempsey 3 (1) Hole In One
Very consistent.

feather 11th June 2006 09:14 AM

SSCOAST
R6-1 GIRL OF THE WEST

KALGOORLIE
R5-1 UNIVERSAL SEARCH

partypooper 11th June 2006 12:02 PM

Chrome, I have no doubt that your figures are correct, as such a simple plan taking in every race ,every day of the week borders on,....... no is impossible. The only thing that seems to sort em out better is "handicaps only" Metro only, and using 6-1 PRE-POST quote. (I use WA Tab-Form) but I guess still a loser if you backed em all, may it should be kept as one of those things "when in doubt" as Breadman suggests, or "when" at the races.

Just as a matter of interest this produced 14 bets yesterday (5 states) for 3 wins, Sharp Aunty $6.80, Jackass $6, and Impatient Star $8, not counting the hurdle winner and a bit close with Imprisoned

breadman 11th June 2006 04:02 PM

thanx partypooper

just a quick thank you for refferring to my comment of WHEN in doubt not every welter. O r for that matter any race. The way I thought the saying went was when you had 3 or 4 horses marked out to win that race and you couldnt make up your mind you then back the top weight. I still remember ian craig saying that on 3 way turf talk. oh my god am i getting old or what!!!
Never been a program that could match that on radio. Oh no what have i done now? maybe a new thread on best radio programs..... hehehe

wildtom 13th June 2006 09:04 PM

SR2 PINK DAY 1ST JULY HCP

Toppie in this Brisk Joh led them up at Hbury last start over 1600 boxing on gamely for 2nd. Start before just pipped Kens 1400 slow track. Right in this.

AdriamnT 14th June 2006 09:50 PM

Rockhampton R5 H1 King Hunter
Rockhampton R7 H1 Sacred Harmony
Rockhampton R8 H1 Harbour Magic

crash 15th June 2006 10:54 AM

The thing I love about this forum is when someone says it's impossible to make a profit doing A, B or C, or it's a bad idea, a 1/2 dozen punters will get up and do it.

Natural, with handicapping and selectivity it's of course possible to make a profit on topy's or 2nd top or any other number in races. The thing with topy's worth remembering is that they are often overlooked and consequently are often over their true odds and can be very profitable indeed.

suds 16th June 2006 06:35 PM

KEMBLA GRANGE Race 6

(1) DOUBLE ENTENDRE

Happychap 16th June 2006 11:10 PM

Wagga 4 (1) Sweet and Tidy
Looks well placed.

pop 17th June 2006 08:23 AM

Ipswich race 3 COLE TRICKLE should have won his last start at Rocky & should atone in this!

Happychap 19th June 2006 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happychap
Wagga 4 (1) Sweet and Tidy
Looks well placed.

Sweet & Tidy 2nd 5/1!

THE PHANTOM 19th June 2006 06:19 PM

CESSNOCK TUES

R2 COOL PHANTOM the name says it all :D

R4 LEEWARDS should be ready to fire at 3rd start back

armchairjock 20th June 2006 07:40 PM

Doomben

R4 ANNIGONI

suds 20th June 2006 10:04 PM

DOOMBEN Race 1

(1) SUNDAY ADIEU

suds 21st June 2006 10:12 PM

DOOMBEN Race 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by suds
(1) SUNDAY ADIEU

1st!!

suds 23rd June 2006 07:33 AM

CANTERBURY Race 5
(1) DEVIOUS CHARADE

Cheda 27th June 2006 08:20 AM

Rocky 8

Not a strong class 2 so the topweight Lang Park might be the way to go especially with the allowance for Brenton Young.

Seekray 28th June 2006 09:31 PM

TOWNSVILLE R3

(1) CALL A FRIEND.
Great debut this track last start. Deserves to break through & distance ideal tomorrow.

wildtom 29th June 2006 10:18 PM

DOOMBEN 1

Pommard looks a class above the rest!

basilsbets 2nd July 2006 12:07 PM

BOWRAVILLE R7

(1) Future Funds