OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums

OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/index.php)
-   General Topics (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Spreadsheet help (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=18549)

thorns 8th February 2009 11:11 AM

Spreadsheet help

I am currently playing round with my own ratings and am after some help on how to sort the final ratings in the spreadsheet.

In column A I have the tab number, running up to 25 max for big fields. In column B I have the horses final rating. Is there a way to sort the two columns so that the ratings are arranged in descending order, but still keep the data in column A in the same row?

ie
A B
Tab# / Rating
1 / 1
2 / 5
3 / 4
4 / 2
5 / 3

And I want it sorted automatically to look like

TAB# / Rating
2 / 5
3 / 4
5 / 3
4 / 2
1 / 1

Hopefuly someone can enlighten me on this.

Cheers

Shaun 8th February 2009 11:24 AM

Highlight both columns of information then go to data at the top and select sort, a selection box will open in the top box you select the column with the information you want to sort by and then selec decending, in your case the column with the ratings, then click ok it will sort it for you.

thorns 8th February 2009 12:48 PM

Hi Shaun,

I have tried that, but it does'nt sort both columns, just the TAB# column, so I end up with the highest rated at the top, but the horses rating score stays in the same spot. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help so far.

Crackone 8th February 2009 01:04 PM

Highlight the cells in column B go to sort & filter, sort largest to smallest.

thorns 8th February 2009 01:19 PM

Hmm, it seems that because column b is a formula that adds up the total ratings for each horse, the column itself cant be sorted. So is there a way to take the data from column b, copy it into another column without the formulas attached, so there is nothing stopping it from being sorted?

Crackone 8th February 2009 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorns
Hmm, it seems that because column b is a formula that adds up the total ratings for each horse, the column itself cant be sorted. So is there a way to take the data from column b, copy it into another column without the formulas attached, so there is nothing stopping it from being sorted?
To copy the number into another cell eg. in cell C1 you put =B1 and drag it down the column, this will copy the number only.

thorns 8th February 2009 03:09 PM

I've tried that, but as soon as there is a = sign in a cell, it doesn't allow sorting of the data. I am using Open Office, so perhaps it could be a difference in the software. It is no big deal I guess ultimately, I can do it pretty easily manually, just would be nice to have it fully automated.

stugots 8th February 2009 07:02 PM

probably the simplest way would be to 'copy-paste special-values'

this removes any formulas & then you can sort as required