OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums

OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/index.php)
-   General Topics (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Jockeys want deferment on new whip rules (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=30881)

kiwiz 28th February 2016 06:26 PM

Obviously Sam Clipperton having problems with the new whip rules
Recently completed a 4 meeting suspension for excessive whip use,,now has a seven meeting penalty to complete for the same offense

Sands 31st March 2016 08:25 AM

Queensland became the first state in Australia to uphold a protest due to excessive whip use when Rosella, who initially deadheated with Stonecast, was demoted to second in Race 4 at the Sunshine Coast earlier this month.

It came after Rosella’s jockey Taylor Williams used the whip eight times, three more than allowed, prior to the 100m mark.

Source: gold coast bulletin

Sands 18th April 2016 07:40 AM

Tommy Berry has just returned from suspension. Outed for breaking the new whip rule on April 2nd. Found guilty of striking Tavago 6 times before the 100m in the ATC Australian Derby, also fined $2000.
The rule allows jockeys to hit a horse only 5 times until that point.

Same day, also fined for excessive whip use were Sam Clipperton ($800) for being 1 strike over on Alegria in the Chairman’s Handicap; Hugh Bowman ($2000) on Pera Pera in the Country Championships Final; Luke Currie ($400) on Super Cash in the PJ Bell Stakes and Zac Purton ($2000) on Yankee Rose in the Sires’ Produce Stakes.

JB1 1st June 2016 07:32 AM

Whip use suspensions becoming more common
Ben Allen & Ben Melham recently

JB1 1st June 2016 11:18 AM

And another one bites the dust!
Chelsea Hall, whip suspension, 5 meetings

kiwiz 25th June 2016 07:50 AM

"The Racing Australia Board will deliver a report on the new whip rules to each Principal Racing Authority for discussion.

A Sub-Committee will seek written submissions from stakeholder groups and participants and, if appropriate, meet with them before reporting to the Racing Australia Board at its September 14 meeting."

Source: Racenet

kiwiz 27th June 2016 04:06 AM

Topsy-turvy day for HK apprentice Eric Cheung last Friday
Won on Radiologist at Coffs Harbour,,first ride in Oz I believe
Then had to survive a protest from the runner-up
Then was fined & suspended for excessive whip use

grizzle 2nd July 2016 01:18 AM

apprentice Brooke Sweeney suspended for 5 meetings for using her whip 7 times prior to the 100m - twice more than permitted, aboard Leveraction at Flemington last saturday

kiwiz 5th July 2016 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzle
apprentice Brooke Sweeney suspended for 5 meetings for using her whip 7 times prior to the 100m - twice more than permitted, aboard Leveraction at Flemington last saturday

Won an appeal,,Brooke's whip suspension reduced to a $1000 fine

Chrome Prince 8th July 2016 07:47 AM

Has anyone noticed the number of times the jockeys get their reins tangled and struggle to get the whip out? I always thought they were taught to cross their reins coming into the home straight to prevent this.
I watch all the replays, and I've seen the whip rule broken so many times, I think they are going to have to revise it sooner than later.