OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums

OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/index.php)
-   RaceCensus (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   FAQ (http://forums.ozmium.com.au/showthread.php?t=31721)

Chrome Prince 4th January 2018 04:05 PM

FAQ

Thought I'd start a thread on FAQ about the database here. Feel free to ask questions on this thread as well.

Q. Was just after an explanation of what the weight ratio is and how it is calculated?

A. Weight ratio is the allocated weight of the top weight by the handicapper minus the allocated second top weight allocated by the handicapper.
Apprentice claims are not taken into consideration because the data is not included in the form source and then of course, there are jockey changes. It’s more of an indication of how good the top weight is compared to the next handicapped horse by the handicapper.

Puntz 4th January 2018 07:38 PM

Good thread CP, interesting reading.
do you have the formula for the ratio to use in excel.

Thanks.

Chrome Prince 4th January 2018 08:36 PM

I use a script trigger from Filemaker Pro Puntz.
You'd have to give me all the cells you have in Excel and I could give you an example formula, and is your data sorted by Date Track Race and Tab Number?

Chrome Prince 4th January 2018 08:38 PM

Q. What do PWLS and PWLTS mean?

A. PWLS is total Prizemoney won last start.
PWLTS is total Prizemoney won last three starts.

Puntz 4th January 2018 10:02 PM

https://m.wikihow.com/Determine-Gear-Ratio
No problemo CP, back to basics, lol
I just swap gear counts for horse weights and use same formula in the above url = ratio between the 2 numbers.
So if a horse top weight is 30 and the next is 20, ya get 1.5
It has nothing to do with TAB No etc..

Thanks.

Chrome Prince 4th January 2018 11:58 PM

Puntz, I also looked at the video on that page, being a gearhead, it's the wrong way to determine the gear ratios. He has aftermarket wheels and low profile tyres, and even if he had a standard setup, it's still prone to error. The simple way is to remove the diff housing cover and look at the diff gears, it's stamped on the gear.
One guy on youtube changed his transmission to a manual in a Mercedes and couldn't work out why it was sluggish in first and second gear. He just needed to change the diff to a higher ratio, as autos always have lower ratios than manuals. Gives you more power on the bottom end on take off but doing 100kph your revs will be high.

The horse weight ratio is simply topweight minus the next weight.
Ratio is probably the wrong term, but that's what I called it.
So if topweight is 57.5 and next weight by tab number is 56, the result is 1.5kg.

Puntz 5th January 2018 12:41 AM

I know CP, gears n boxes , 4wd. We use to make and fit diff locks.

Anyway, "ratio" got me thinking.... improvise from there I suppose.

specific excel formula is,

https://exceljet.net/formula/calcul...rom-two-numbers

darkydog2002 9th January 2018 07:52 AM

Strewth.

I,m still with the inkpot and quill.

Chrome Prince 9th January 2018 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkydog2002
Strewth.

I,m still with the inkpot and quill.

That's ahead of me Darky, I chisel hieroglyphics, although I do seal envelopes with red wax and use my personal stamp :D

thebeans 21st March 2018 06:09 PM

placing

hi chrome
this maybe a stupid question but how is the placing tab on the general page used as iam getting a little confused
thanks
thebeans

thebeans 22nd March 2018 06:57 PM

placing

24hrs no response. thanks from a learning punter
customer response time well thay can update other posts but not answer my question
thanks
thebeans

Chrome Prince 23rd March 2018 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeans
hi chrome
this maybe a stupid question but how is the placing tab on the general page used as iam getting a little confused
thanks
thebeans

Hi Beans,
The placing field, is the placing of the horse in that race.
If you want to look at winners, you would input ==1 (note the double equals sign)
If you want a range you would input say 1...3, (note the three dots are for range of placings)
Horses that didn't win you would input >1
Horses placed less than 5th you would input <5
Note: that this field is updated with each update, but is behind for horses that retired or haven't raced in the last 12 months.
I am manually updating this field with each update though.

Chrome Prince 23rd March 2018 02:14 AM

Quote:
customer response time well thay can update other posts but not answer my question
thanks
thebeans

Hi Beans,
I get email notifications as I am subscribed to these threads, but they are only sent once a day. I did not see your question for some reason yesterday.
Apologies.
You can always contact me directly via email at racestats at Hotmail dot com, as I'm not on the forum every day.

Snert 23rd March 2018 10:35 AM

Quote:
thanks
thebeans

Pull yer head in

thebeans 24th March 2018 01:03 AM

apology

would just like to apologise for my last post,had a very bad day and I shouldn't have said what I did. iam soo sorry chrome please keep up the good work.
thebeans

Lord Greystoke 24th March 2018 08:51 AM

Quote:
would just like to apologise for my last post,had a very bad day and I shouldn't have said what I did. iam soo sorry chrome please keep up the good work.
thebeans

Champion effort mate. We are all human. Stepping up to the base when it comes to an apology is a different matter, however i.e the guts to muster humility and an example of how to behave in a civilised manner in a forum such as this imho.

NAILED IT

Cheers LG

PS Full marks to the Chrome Prince for providing such a valuable resource. Nice one chief.

Chrome Prince 25th March 2018 01:25 AM

Quote:
thebeans

No problem beans, we all have bad days and I really appreciate the apology. I probably should have looked harder at the forum in any case.

Mark 26th March 2018 08:07 PM

CP, I watched the youtube video.....who is David King?

Chrome Prince 27th March 2018 08:45 AM

That would be me Mark, I go by the name of Lindsay as that is my middle name. Too many David King's out there :)

Mark 27th March 2018 08:55 AM

thebeans 28th March 2018 11:03 AM

question about system viability what would be classed as a good system, anything over 1?

Snert 28th March 2018 04:17 PM

I've got a couple in the 50's and a few in the 40's. It appears that the number of selections and the strike rate have a lot to do with a high system viability, plus the POT of course. I don't think anything under 10 would cut the mustard.

Chrome Prince 28th March 2018 04:20 PM

Hi Beans,
System Viability is the profit divided by the Maximum win dividend and profit divided by the Maximum place dividend, you'll see this on the summary. A system viability of 1 means there's very little chance of the system being long term viable as all the profit comes from one big winner. For any system you'll want at least double figures in system viability depending of course on the number of bets or qualifiers.

Chrome Prince 28th March 2018 04:24 PM

Also what Snert said :)
Anything under 10, relies too much on longshots.
I came up with this calculation to aid punters from thinking they've struck gold when the profit comes up, but all the profit came from a rank outsider.

Mark 29th March 2018 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Prince
Hi Beans,
System Viability is the profit divided by the Maximum win dividend and profit divided by the Maximum place dividend, you'll see this on the summary. A system viability of 1 means there's very little chance of the system being long term viable as all the profit comes from one big winner. For any system you'll want at least double figures in system viability depending of course on the number of bets or qualifiers.

How accurate is this Chrome?, for last years results I get a score of over 300, and this year sitting at around 150.

Chrome Prince 29th March 2018 02:53 PM

Hi Mark,
You must have a huge sample size, but that's a very good figure for each year.
I'd be very confident in future returns.

Snert 29th March 2018 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
for last years results I get a score of over 300, and this year sitting at around 150

lol, that's really funny Mark.

You're on world record pace and we haven't taken into account that you're swimming uphill and against the tide for the first half. Mark I'm laughing with you (which you would be too with that score) not at you. :)

I'm WAS sitting here rather smugly ........ Onya !!!!!! lol

blackdog1 29th March 2018 09:45 PM

"System Viability is the profit divided by the Maximum win dividend"

Does it mean the highest win dividend the system ever had?
Thanks

Lord Greystoke 29th March 2018 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog1
"System Viability is the profit divided by the Maximum win dividend"

Does it mean the highest win dividend the system ever had?
Thanks

Correct. Identifies the degree to which profit is pumped by the fattest divvy, If I understand it correctly.

LG

blackdog1 30th March 2018 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Greystoke
Correct. Identifies the degree to which profit is pumped by the fattest divvy, If I understand it correctly.

LG
Thanks LG, will try it with one of my systems, although it's a long shot system with only 12% S/R but very profitable.
If I leave out the over $30s (TAB dogs only) it might be improved.
I can calculate with different divies and see what the numbers say eh?

Chrome Prince 30th March 2018 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Greystoke

LG

Spot on LG :)

thebeans 31st March 2018 05:28 PM

Hi CP is there a way of say excluding states (say I only wont to look at qld,nsw and wa NOT vic) and also with the age restriction is there a way to exclude 3yo and 3yo+. hope that makes sense

Chrome Prince 1st April 2018 01:08 AM

Hi Beans,
Yes there is.
Up the top of the program there is an omit button.
Input your parameters you want, then go to Requests ->Add New Request.
You should now see the number 2 next to your Find Requests.
Input Vic in the State field and press the Omit button and then press Search.
This will return all but Vic.

See how you go with this, if you need help we'll go over it by phone.
Once you've mastered this, I'll give you instructions on the second of your questions, otherwise it will be a bit overwhelming.

thebeans 1st April 2018 12:50 PM

thanks CP go it.soo to exclude more I just open new request and omit it same with age and soo on

Chrome Prince 2nd April 2018 08:40 AM

Exactly Beans.
Follow the same procedure with age or sex restriction fields. however, it may be easier to use the age or sex fields instead, like >3 because some of the age and sex restriction fields have long descriptions in them.
As always, let me know if you need any help with anything at all.