View Single Post
Old 6th November 2006, 01:12 PM

Default Efficient-Greed, Glory or Wisdom?

Hi all,
I'm new and thought I'd introduce myself a little and get some opinions on a subject of interest at the same time.
I love horseracing and punting, and I have studied punting for only six months.
I am at the point where I realise I know nothing about it, at the point where I bet heavier if the odds are poor and wail when the little bet I placed on a long odds choice that seemed to be the horse with as much reason to win comes in and my 'sure thing' gets beaten....lol
I love the horses tho, and EWfficient has me wondering about what you more experienced fellows think.
I admired the grace and balance of the slender champ each time I watched it run and think it is something special. I realise it isn't developed physically yet, but damn it is a fine specimen at speed.It also seems to be half asleep when it finishes, so relaxed despite the leg blur.
When it got entered in the Melbourne Cup I was shocked, thought it must be a publicity stunt.....surely it is too valuable to risk?
So I wonder about other opinions....is it a matter of greed, winning the Cup now..or is it wisdom.....is it capable of winning without risk of breaking down ...or is it the chance for a sick owner to win the cup with his prodgeny for glory?