View Single Post
Old 26th December 2011, 08:06 PM

While it's unrelated to the purpose of the forum, I think it's as good a place as any.

I can speak from experience, it's very difficult for people that haven't had to endure it to understand.
First stop is your Doctor.
You must explain all your symptoms to him.
Note that some doctors are not very good at dealing with mental health issues, others are brilliant.
It's a rapidly increasing problem.
If you're not satisfied with your doctor's attitude or actions, find another one.

I fully understand the lack of motivation, it's a side effect of the illness.
Medication can help with this.

Ask your doctor about putting you on a mental health plan.
It is a government funded referral to a clinical psychologist who will be able to prescribe better medications and address some of your problems.
They will refer you for 5 free visits and then review your progress, if no progress is made they can apply for another government referral.

They will want to check out other physical problems first though, so be prepared for a barrage of tests and getting a bit frustrated. They have to do this to rule out other causes.
Thyroid problems and lack of Vitamin D can cause symptoms of depression.
In my case they also did numerous heart tests and I had to wear a halter monitor for 24 hours.
My case is a bit different, I've never been depressed, but have severe anxiety disorder.
They always tend to bundle anxiety and depression into the same thing for some odd reason.
It's particularly hard to deal with friends and family who have a "snap out of it" attitude.
Real depression is totally uncontrollable and an illness that you can't turn off an on. It's as real as any physical ailment, because your subconscious has taken over your physical functions.

Best of luck Barny, I do feel for you, I have been through it all and so have some of my family.
If you need any help or want to ask any questions, please do so.
You are not alone.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/05/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg