Thread: WORLD CUP
View Single Post
Old 17th June 2002, 12:28 PM

Privateer - I am sorry - I must have mistaken Soccer for a spectator sport. I thought one of the main purposes of the game was to provide spectators with something good to watch. I certainly don't deny that the players are playing to the best of their abilities when they have a 0-0 draw but I just have to question whether making some minor changes to increase scoring chances wouldn't:

1. Provide a better spectacle for the viewing public (who in the end pay the salaries of those great atheletes).
2. Encourage a more attacking style of play which most people seem to agree is more enjoyable to watch and participate in.
3. Help avoid the ludicrous situation of the world champions being decided by a penalty shootout.

Now maybe this would destroy the game you think is wonderful but personally I can't see why it would. Surely the athleticism of the goalkeepers today is so far ahead of what it was when the goal sizes were originally determined that increasing the goal size slightly would just return the game to what it was when the ancient laws were layed down?