View Single Post
Old 4th July 2013, 04:24 PM

Default Dutching – Which is the Overlay?

Hi everyone,

I have been an interested bystander to the forum for a little while now, and will now follow the lead set by Dave in his “40 year horse racing system addict!” and post for the first time.

My back story is nowhere near as entertaining as Dave’s. In fact some of the form guides he added to the bonfire were older than me. I have been following racing casually for about 15 years and have really set about getting serious about in in the last 5 years.

It was blind luck that I stumbled upon this site and was immediately taken by the willingness of people to share and discuss ideas, and what set this apart from most other forums I have seen is that the positivity far outweighed any negativity.

I too look forward to learning from many of you and hopefully contributing in a positive way as we all continue our journey to punting nirvana.

This brings me to my first question. I have been dutch betting my top 3 selections in one of my systems. I have read on other posts about finding value, overlays and going broke if we take under the odds. If the definition of overlay betting is simply “securing your value prices or better”, then which example below is the overlay?

July 2 - 2013 - Bathurst Race 1
Rating Market % Odds Market %
1 Big City Dreams 3.5 28.6% 26 3.8% Overlay
2 Budderoo Dragon 3.5 28.6% 2.8 35.7% Underlay
14 Shawinigan 4.3 23.3% 10 10.0% Overlay
80.4% 49.6% Overlay

My question is, if you were dutch betting these ratings, would you dutch bet the overlays (the 1 and 14 only) and leave the underlay (2) out, or do you dutch bet all 3 as you are securing an overlay on all 3 selections based on the total market percentage.
For my 2 cents worth, I backed all 3 as I always do and the 2 was able to win.

Cheers

Brett