View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinconpaul
Statements of fact are made every second of the day about commercial businesses in news media. For instance, the vision of a particular trucking company's truck being involved in a serious accident. Can the trucking company sue the news media for reporting the event and call it slander???

Criticism of banner bookmaker sponsors in posts on this site like (just look up) happens all the time. It's the ad hoc application of the moderation that seems baffling to me. All right to have rules, but be consistent.

Statements of fact issued by the Police in a media release is not slander.
News organisations have legal teams which monitor the content before it is put to air or print and enough money to fight any action. In fact there have been attempts to sue media organisations, and even they have lost and had to pay out after all that.

It's one thing to say a bookmaker has terrible percentages, or I can't get a bet on, or my account has been closed. But some people unwittingly go too far, and that's the problem, they post something libellous about the company.

For example I was TOU'd for mentioning something that was in the racing news and was fact, but mentioned the actual name of the person.
Once the ramifications were explained to me, I understood.
This is a free forum, and I'm glad to have it, with some great minds and would hate to see it shut down because of another payout.

Sometimes it's frustrating, but it is what it is, and if I'd already been sued over content, I probably would have shut my forum down, because you have to moderate everything that could potentially lead to another law suit.
Sad but true.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/05/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg