View Single Post
Old 8th February 2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barny
So how do we pick a horse that will win ?
A horse, A capable one with proven performance! in the right race and right company, right distance, reasonable jock, is a good proposition for starters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barny
I’d love some more suggestions as to how to pick a horse to back for a few runs please.
Everything to the opposite of the above and you can follow that horse to the poorhouse, no matter, how many times it will run, no matter how good the horse is in his own class it will only win by accident!

Coming from NZ or Europe means nothing if the horse is no good, owners, trainers, other connections often have stars in their eyes.

Just look at the Melbourne cup!

Trainers "know" and I say that advisedly, only their own horses, it takes a few other runners to make a race and most of the time they have only a vague idea about the ability and current state of preparation of those other horses.

If blindly following horses, hoping they will eventually win and make a profit, there would be no need for handicapping-rating races.

Ever noticed that one day a horse is a hotshot fav. and even wins, and next week the same horse in a seemingly similar race is regarded as a rank outsider? Think on that. It all comes back to right ....race...etc...

Good luck.

PS. I like the way you have the little grey cells turning around, keep at it!