Thread: Risk Management
View Single Post
Old 20th October 2003, 11:25 AM

Chris,

I probably should clarify - I don't generally recalculate the bet amount after every bet and I round to the nearest $10 anyway. This means the bet size will only reduce after a few losing bets (or quite a few on the 2% system). For example on the 5% racing system if my bank was $1000 my bet size would be $50. I would only reduce it to $40 if my bank got down to $800 (so 4 losing bets in a row for example).

I have found this "stepped" reducing bank method seems to give the best overall results for me. It takes advantage of the winning streaks as your bet size steps up after a winner and if you get a few nice wins in a row it will take advantage of this. On the other hand in a losing patch your bet size will decrease to preserve the bank until you start hit the winners again.

In practice the average bet size on winners and losers is identical as essentially what I am doing is betting flat stakes at a given level for a while and then readjusting the staking level either up or down depending on the bank (hopefully always adjusting upwards!!!)

In theory with the % of bank approach you will never go bust as you will always only be betting a small portion of your remaining bank (although in practice of course there are minimum bet sizes so once you get down to that level you are in trouble!).

[ This Message was edited by: becareful on 2003-10-20 11:30 ]