View Single Post
Old 27th January 2003, 03:07 PM

G'day once again Merriguy,

In response to your question, I actually utilise several selection methods and staking strategies because I believe that with all the variables in racing a flexible approach must be maintained. As I am a form student, I spend a lot of time on form analysis to highlight potential betting opportunities and look to obtain value before placing a wager. I made those selections on Sat 24.1.03 using my Mr Magic method(outlined in a recent post). Earlier today I chose SR1 as a dead-set match in two: Umaris & She's Lovely. I utilised my dutch book plan which I highlighted in a recent post and this resulted in a modest positive percentage return. As I am a percentage punter and bet every day there are times when no value is available so I might apply one or more of my mechanical plans and try to obtain a reasonable percentage POT. Alternatively, I may utilise one of my methods which concentrate on exotics and by making multiple flexi bets seek to secure a respectable percentage return.
In respect of place betting in fields of 7 or less runners, basically an overlay may be achievable as the place pool is only split two ways, there is potential to securing a proportionately higher div as long as your selection runs 1st or 2nd and as long as a disproportionately large amount of money has not been invested on your selection. For example, how often have you seen a placegetter in a small field pay $2.30 win $1.70 place?
I realise this approach is not for everyone but I hope this has clarified things somewhat.

Cheers.