View Single Post
Old 25th April 2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
That's an interesting, but massive project you're undertaking there.

Certainly is, but I am in no hurry.

Quote:
When you say "shares", do you mean Access accessing 110 workbooks or 110 people sharing the hosted data?

Share was a poor choice of words, I should have used the word stock. Each stock had it's own workbook, each containing the downloaded data and various calculations. As I wanted to view various charts of a stock the workbook would be opened and the charts produced. This was all done in excel alone. I should have used access for the data storage.

Quote:
You might want to investigate, Alpha 5 database or Filemaker Pro Advanced or Advanced Server, all have free trials.

I am thinking MySQL as the database, but Access may be fine.

Quote:
One problem you will encounter using sectional times is dirty data supplied by the race clubs. The transponder drops out leaving gaps or no data at all.
Often there are serious errors in the times recorded, I've seen impossible times (fast and slow) recorded. Sometimes the clubs fail to pass on vital information such as barriers relocation making the race distance and times way out.

WOW, they don't publicise that on the various wewbsites. I when I was looking for sectional data, I looked at a paid service and I worked out that on average it would cost me $4k per week to obtain the sectional times for all races. To find out that the info contained within the reports could be flawed, WOW!

Quote:
You could of course take this all one step further when you have enough quantitative data. If you look up SPSS by IBM, it can give you some insight into predictive and financial analysis of data which can be used to identify hidden patterns or areas of profit, even predict with some accuracy chance.
Blue Chip financial businesses use similar data models to identify risk, but this can be tailored to identify chance.

This sort of system is well beyond the scope of what I am trying to achieve and the budget in which I am trying to achieve it.

Quote:
Best of luck with the project, be interested to hear of your progress.

Thank you, I will let you know how I am progressing

Cheers