Thread: My Ratings
View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:18 AM

Default My Ratings

I wrote this in the other thread, this will probably get moderated or closed too but I hope it doesn't because it would seriously diminish my interest in posting here again. Surely were able to have a discussion around ratings without there being a side show?

Pretty much agree with everything said in the other thread, I've hardly been posting lately, continue to read but there hasn't been many threads worthy of much discussion. This thread was one I was watching closely as a Ratings approach is something I'm personally interested in given one's ability to bring information into Excel quite easily and manipulate as you wish.

I think the thing to understand with ratings is that yes a paid one might produce 24% SR and an unpaid source may be 26% SR, but that is only one side of the cube. I say cube because there are so many more elements to take into consideration (I think) when looking at ratings or selections. Surely you have to take into account the POT (the 24% ratings may select longer horses and be profitable while the 26% ratings may be mainly favourites and have a LOT). I also would've thought drawdown needs to be considered as well, not to mention does a small number of high odds horses make up majority of the return or a large number of small odds horses showing greater consistency?

I don't think R2W are obliged to provide ratings that are profitable on every single race or some type of tip or selections that are profitable. If you purchase their service, you know what your buying and getting yourself into. Their offering is meant to assist you in becoming profitable, not turn you into an A grader overnight, and you should understand this when becoming a client, same as any service offered with regards to horse racing or even the stock market. If you dont do your own due diligence and understand where your money is going and what your getting in return then that is solely on your own shoulders.

I think the top rater on the ratings i've put together myself so far is about 21% which some here would scoff at. But that top rater is only very slightly at a LOT on the races I rate. Add in one or two basic filters and that top rater becomes profitable - at tatts odds too i might add so best tote or betfair makes this even more so.

Ratings can have their place, but you have to understand how to use them and not expect the keys to the castle just by blindly following a rating. Hence why what garyf posts should be read over and over with regards to picking the right races, right conditions and right ratings to use, if you also get the right price on top of that then your well ahead of most others.