View Single Post
Old 15th July 2013, 08:59 AM

Default Positives and negatives of aging

I must admit I have always been a soft touch and it often costs me time and money. There is always someone who needs a helping hand and, I am only too happy to oblige.

However the following experience made me realize that I should mind my own business.

I flew from my home in the country to Sydney to buy a car. Having successfully made the purchase, I stopped for lunch and bought some fish and chips. Sitting in a park eating my dinner I noticed an elderly gentleman crying.

With my usual empathy I asked the old guy what was wrong.

“I’m married to a 25 year old lady” he moaned.

“And does she treat you badly?” I asked sympathetically.

“Oh no, not at all,” he said. “She treats me like a king.”

“But surely there must be problems with your relationship, or you wouldn’t be crying,” I continued.

“Not at all,” he replied sternly. She gives me a half hour massage at least twice a day, cooks the most beautiful meals and always buys me presents.

“She must have a nasty, mean side to her then?” I asked whilst starting to feel quite frustrated.

“Far from it!” he retorted. “She is so proud of me she brags to all her friends of how lucky she is”.

“I know what it is!” I confidently said. “You’re a wealthy man and she has nothing, and is waiting for you to die so she can inherit your money”.

“That’s not it,” he said, sounding slightly embarrassed.

“She is a multi-millionaire. We live in her mansion and she has given me another of her houses in the country. Before I met her I owned an old car and lived in a rented flat. I’m just so lucky and extremely happy,” he explained.

“Wow!” I exclaimed. You are the luckiest man l have ever met! But, why the heck are you upset and crying?”

“I can’t remember where I live,” he sobbed.